May I drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May I drive?

How soon I forget! I know the "when may I drive?" question was addressed before my first surgery, and it seems that the answer had mostly to do w/being on pain meds (if I remember correctly). Before this surgery, neither of us mentioned the subject.

I am 2 weeks post-op today!! My husband took out my 76 staples last night (a milestone!). . . Actually, with the pain I was in with the non-union and the sagittal imbalance, I now feel better than I've felt in I-don't-know-how-long. When I got up at 4am (to let our dog out) I took some oxycodones, because that's what I've been doing, then realized that I really didn't feel any pain. Here it is, 7 1/2 hours later, and I'm still not in any pain. I'm stunned. Until now, I've been taking 3 or 4 oxycodones every 3 - 5 hours.

So. . .back to my question. I could use a little outing, and would enjoy a short drive in the country. No pain meds are in my system. Would it be an OK thing to do?
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

I couldn't be happier for you mgs! How wonderful.

Back to the driving...2 weeks sounds so early, but I guess if there are no narcotics in your system, it might be safe. I just hope your feeling so good doesn't lead to you over-doing it, which is so easy to do. Little steps mgs, but honestly, it's great to hear you doing so well.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

You are so right. I don't want a setback, or worse. . .
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

I would check with the doctor to make sure...

But HOLY COW! I am so happy for you!!!! I was really hoping that you would have a fantastic outcome
        25 years old
        double 70+ degree curves before surgery
        Anterior on 11/11/08
        Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
        nearly perfect correction
        fused t-10 to pelvis
        with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
        Broke left rod on 10/24/09
        Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
        Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
        Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Everyone's happy feelings for my good (better than I ever expected!) recovery touch me more than you know!

I called my dr's office yesterday afternoon (my husband, naturally cautious, esp after my non-union the 1st time around, was uncomfortable w/the idea of me driving so soon, but said he'd be ok w/it if it was ok w/the dr). I spoke w/one of the nurses at the Spince Center, who said that yes, being off narcotics was the usual criterion, but because it had only been 2 weeks and a day since surgery, she would err on the side of caution and run it by Dr. Tribus [today], when he's there, and get back to me. She called this afternoon. . .I'm cleared for driving!!!! Now, where do I get to go for my maiden voyage? A doctor appt. BUT, it's with my ENT - nothing bad, just my infant-sized ear canals are filled w/fluid and need attention. (How is it that my ears can be so big, and my ear canals be so itty-bitty?) It's been a LONG TIME since I've been to a doctor that has nothing to do whatsoever with this whole back saga - just a nice, easy, normal, run-of-the-mill issue. It'll be a nice change of pace.

After I took those 2 oxycodones as a hedge against withdrawal, I sort of forgot about it all, and didn't remember to take any more. I feel that good.
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

That's fantastic!

So did you end up driving? I'm dying to go to TJ Maxx..... even if I just walk around!
            Female, age 38
            4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
            currently 64*upper/40*lower
            Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
            now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Working...
            X