No announcement yet.

Coming home today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Rita! I've been following your progress as you were just ahead of me and I really appreciated hearing how you were doing. I'm so glad you are making good progress as well.

I agree with you 100% that sitting is the worst....when I watched the movie with my family I managed about an hour in a recliner laid back all the way....I could not get into, or out of, it by myself, they had to help. The other half I was laying on my side on the sofa. I have found that taller chairs are easier for me, like bar stools. I've found I can sit with my family for dinner if I sit in a chair at the bar in the kitchen, but I'd not make it more than 5 minutes sitting in a normal chair.

Sitting is definitely a battle I'm still fighting but I WILL win in! :-)

Rich
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Pillows!

Lots and lots of pillows! Big fluffy soft ones! I had the opposite problem, could not get in the recliner. The sofa was easier but I'm 5'1" so that probably makes a big difference. It was a long time before I could get into one of the bar stools.
      When I wanted to sit in the living room with the fam, I would position pillows in sort of a squished V and use that for my back. Then I'd stack pillows on both sides and use them for arm rests. I looked somewhat like a baby thats sitting up using pillows so it won't fall over. It worked for me!
      Becky
      51 years old
      Married 28 years
      3 kids ages 23, 21 and 17
      Fused T-10 through L-5 June, 2008
      Developed junctional kyphosis, flat-back and sagittal imbalance
      Revision Surgery June 27, 2011
      Fused T-4 thru S-1 with pelvic anchor screws
      Take 2 revision October 15, 2013 to locate source of continued pain
      Pseudoarthrosis at L-3, 2 screws removed

Comment

I, too, am going to conquer this sitting problem. I'm doing better. It used to be 5 minutes at a time then lay down for 2 hours, which I would most likely fall asleep and take a nap. Then, go sit for 5 more minutes. Tonight trying to watch basketball game will be a struggle, but I'll do my best. It's all we can do. I've heard from other people that if you just go ahead and stick it out and struggle with it as it comes it does get better. At least for me I can find a position in bed where I have no pain whatsoever - that's my dream. But, with the pain medicine we're on, sure makes one tired and sleepy. But, I asked Dr. Lenke about that and he said rest is the best medicine and to take every nap I can get ahold of. Good thing - cuz I'm taking lots of naps... Ha!
        But, we'll conquer this sitting problem - full speed ahead. We're tough!!!!
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing well!
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior