What's the big deal with 50 degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Rich
    yup, degenerative disc..that's so freaky that discs can fuse by themselves....i guess they cant see that on an xray, huh...?
    hope you are doing well since the surgery...and dont have any pain.....

jess

Comment

Hmmm,
      I thought they could see it on x-ray if your vertebrae fused themselves. I have a friend that I'm pretty sure that's what happened to her. She doesn't have scoliosis, but a whole lot of other things like spondolisthesis, stenosis, 4 herniated discs, severe degenerative disease, and the list goes on. When she was early enough on in her spinal disease she was so afraid of the surgery that she refused it and opted for pain meds. I see what the narcotics have done to her over the years and it totally frightens me. I don't want my brain affected like that. She just sits in her apartment literally in the dark all day long and does nothing. I love LIFE too much to let that happen! She is so far progressed that no amount of surgery could help her. She's completely disabled and in a wheelchair. I feel so badly for her, but do not want to end up like that. I think if we could remember just ONE thing, that would be to take care of ourselves and what we do have. We might have bad spines, but there are always other people worse. I have another friend who is actually dying of her scoliosis. She had a 90+ degree curve fixed with Harrington rods over 30 years ago. She has asthma and smokes and drinks heavily. She is on oxygen and has been given only several months to live. I can't judge her at all. She is such a sweet person who has had so many difficult personal problems over the years, but I could just "shake" her for destroying her heart and lungs. She, of course, has progressed again like many others with the infamous Harringtons. There is so much that could be done to help her if she wasn't so sick from her disease/lifestyle. I see these people and am determined NOT to repeat their mistakes. That's why I love this forum so much. I see so much bravery on here. I see so many fine people doing positive things with their lives, be it surgical or not. I really look up to you all. Keep up the positive thinking, faith, or whatever it is that helps you. I personally think my faith in God and positive thinking has helped me the most over the course of my life. I pray you all continue to get well and thank you for all the encouragement!!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

You can definitely see a natural two level fusion on a radiograph. I have one in my lumbar that is likely due to a repetitive riding injury (not sitting the trot correctly) several years ago. There is no space between the two vertebra like with all the other vertebra. I don't have scoliosis to my knowledge.

This happened in the early 1990s and I had no trouble until recently. So it was very stable for a very long time. Lately I am getting not only exquisite lower back pain similar though not as bad as when I was fusing but I am getting "bonus" mid-back muscle spasms which I think are related but may not be.

My back was killing me last night before my riding lesson but I tried anyway because I never have had back pain while riding. And indeed I had no pain on the horse, even doing sit trot, but did have pain before and right after if you can believe it.

My main symptom is I cannot stand still for more than ~10 minutes before my lower back starts hurting. What might that map to given I don't have scoliosis (to my knowledge)? Would it be the fusion propagating up and down my lumbar?

I hope this isn't a hijack.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

If it's a hijack, there is no offense taken. You are still dealing with scoliosis with your daughters and you can relate to back pain for sure. Sometimes I think the topics kind of evolve. I would definitely have your back checked out. Injuries of the spine can lead to scoliosis and if your girls have it, who's to say that you don't have the propensity to develope it, even from an injury. I'm starting to think I should have labeled this thread "Why 50* over pain for surgical intervention?"
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            If it's a hijack, there is no offense taken. You are still dealing with scoliosis with your daughters and you can relate to back pain for sure. Sometimes I think the topics kind of evolve. I would definitely have your back checked out. Injuries of the spine can lead to scoliosis and if your girls have it, who's to say that you don't have the propensity to develope it, even from an injury. I'm starting to think I should have labeled this thread "Why 50* over pain for surgical intervention?"
            I'm glad you took it that way.

I intended to only make the point that you can easily see a natural fusion on radiogragh but then I figured I try and pick people's brains about my symptoms. If it doesn't settle down in a month or two (the time my fusion took to settle) I will need to get a radiograph.

Maybe you are right that I have some sort of curve developing from that old fusion.

Thanks.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post

My back was killing me last night before my riding lesson but I tried anyway because I never have had back pain while riding. And indeed I had no pain on the horse, even doing sit trot, but did have pain before and right after if you can believe it.

My main symptom is I cannot stand still for more than ~10 minutes before my lower back starts hurting. What might that map to given I don't have scoliosis (to my knowledge)? Would it be the fusion propagating up and down my lumbar?.
              Bummer! Hope the symptoms are temporary
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                Do not try to understand it!!!! I went to four different surgeons and got four different opinions. One said, surgery right away,one said my 52 was not enough and would wait until 60 degrees and a lot more pain. One said surgery at 57 degrees and above and the last surgeon said wait for two years with pain management. Pain and the fact that I wanted to have it done while I am still kind of young. good luck,

rich
                Wow, Rich, that is incredible. My Dr. has said he would not do surgery. I am wondering what the next one would say. It is so crazy confusing!!!
                34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Originally posted by joyfull View Post
                  I have a 90 degree thoracic curve and have not had surgery because I have had no pain. The technology is so much better now that in some ways I'm glad I waited. There are doctors out there getting amazing results. Good luck. Joy
                  Joy, thank you for that testimony. I am going to hang in there as my pain does not disable me, if I move properly, do my stretches, and relax (not tense up), and breathe. At 34T, 49L, I am right on that threshold. I will just follow my Dr's advice (no surgery), and hang in there day by day. Christina
                  34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                  Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

hey im syd,
                    i had 59 degrees when i was born and have been liveing with almost a 100degree curve the reason why they want to operate is because it depends on what type of curve that you have with your back because a lumber curve can get bad when you grow and mess with your kidneys and walking posibly and i have a curve in my neck and by my shoulder blades and they mess with my rib cage like alot of people scoliosis does and they want to operate so the curve does not get worse and so you will not get any pain in the future sense the curve might grow and they just want everyone to be healthy hope evrything works out with your scolisis ! wish you the best of luck !!!
                    [COLOR="Cyan"]59 degree curve birth
                    110 degree curve now
                    Sydnie SueAnn ^.^ Always open to help xo

Comment

Working...
                    X