No announcement yet.

Keeping in shape after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryy, you will have to ask your surgeon for specifics, but in my case now, I wouldn't be able to do it but I'm only 5 months post op. Maybe in a year or so. I have gotten back to yoga, however, and don't underestimate the muscle you can build doing that! Also, I walk fast on an incline on treadmill, or do hills in the park. I used to run, but there is no way I would do that now at 5 months post op. I'm glad I had the surgery done, that's for sure!
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Aweiker,
      I am going to be very unhappy if I can't play golf after surgery. I have a decent swing which as you know involves twisting. I am just hoping to somehow compensate. Did you play golf before your surgery? I play 6 days a week and will be crushed if I can't play well enough to be able to tolerate it. However, I will miss my golfing friends if I give it up totally. Stacy Lewis is an LPGA profression with scoliosis who has had surgery, however, it didn't involve the lumbar area.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'm fused T2-L5. I don't see that there would be too much problem swinging. I do miss dancing though so far and hope I can loosen up sometime soon
        Janet
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I think I could play golf, though my whole trunk would move whereas pre-op I would probably twist from the waist. (If that sounds odd Karen, it's because I'm not a player!) Debbei does Zumba and wriggles with the best of them, though differently!

As a competitive player, you might find you drop back but with practice, I honestly believe you will play again, and if not as well as you do now, I think you will play well enough to enjoy the game.

It will be different, but I can't see why you won't be able to play golf again, and enjoy it.

What I've learned, fused to pelvis, is that nothing's impossible, just different.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

During my spondylolisthesis surgery Januar '09 I was fused from L4- S1 and started playing golf after 4 months. I don't have any trouble swinging a club. Just played my last round of golf with my Wednesday morning group, probably for a year; very sad. Dr B says that I will have to wait a year after my surgery to play since this is a much longer fusion. I am hopeful, though, that after 9 or 10 months he may just let me go out and chip and putt. I could probably use a whole season of chipping and putting anyway.
            Age 56
            Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
            Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
            Thoracic 68
            Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
            Dr Bridwell St Louis
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Working...
            X