RitaR!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rita--
    Thank you for your kind words and pm's. We all appreciate the support on either side! Lots of warm, soothing thoughts and prayers coming your way for tomorrow. Can't wait to hear from you from the other side. Stay positive! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Good luck tomorrow Rita...Ill be packing the car tomorrow and we're heading to St. Louis on Tuesday for some pre-op stuff with Dr. Bridwell. From everything we've heard and read about those surgeons out in St. Louis, you shouldnt worry about a thing!
      Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
      Still unsure of post-op numbers
      37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
      Scoli pics

Comment

Thanks Mike. St. Louis docs rock!!!!! Everyone here has been so nice so far!!! These guys are professionals. There's nothing to worry about here!!! Dr. Lenke walks on water!!!!!!!
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Lynnete,
          This may help explain what a central line is along with a couple of other things that you may come across. You don't really feel the line in you as veins have no nerve endings, but may feel where it enters a bit when you move it may pull some. I had a PICC for 10 weeks, no biggy just a pain to shower as you need to keep the area dry. Though my PICC was inside, middle of my upper arm not in the crook.
          #
          Cannula – a small tube inserted into a vein in your arm or the back of your hand.
          #
          Central line – a thin, flexible tube inserted through the skin of the chest into a vein near the heart.
          #
          PICC line (a peripherally inserted central catheter) – a thin flexible tube passed into a vein in the crook of the arm and threaded through until the end of the tube lies in a vein near the heart.
          #
          Implantable port (also called a portacath) – a thin, soft plastic tube that is put into a vein. It has an opening (port) just under the skin on your chest or arm.
          2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
          surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
          Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
          5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
          5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
          6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
          (left open with just clear dressing)
          6/6/08 recleaned and closed
          3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Rita, I'll be sending up lots of little prayers for you all through this week.

You're in good hands, and the recovery time will pass. . .I just hit my 6 months mark. . .it doesn't seem possible. One year ago, I wasn't even considering this surgery.

Barnes is a well-oiled machine (I worked there, and was also a nursing student there, in the early '80's). . .eat healthy, sleep well, and walk, walk, walk. . .and all will be well.
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Thanks Mgs! This place is soooo huge!!!! I appreciate the encouraging thoughts and prayers!!!
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46
              Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
              Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
              Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
              Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Sharshe - Thank you so much for the great explanation there about the central line and all the other lines!

Rita - I can't wait to hear all your wonderful news about how great you will feel once you're passed the surgery. I'm thinking of you and know that you will do great!
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Working...
                X