Good News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
    I suddenly have this passion to prove to the world, that all the crap I'm going through will make me stronger, more determined, and more passionate about life and my future career. I will show the world, and I'll show my ex that NOTHING will get me down, especially not him
    THERE YOU GO!! That's the exact attitude you need. I know you can do it, and you'll be JUST FINE! Remember we are here for you to help you get through.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lynette, I know what you mean about feeling deformed. The first time my back was seen someone asked me, "what are you deformed or something?!" I hadn't really thought about it that way, but yeah I guess so. I can't imagine not having to feel that way any more. I'd even welcome the pain postoperatively (can you tell I'm a transcriptionist here?) because at least you know that pain will get better. Not like this pain we endure every day all day that drags on day after day!
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Way to go Lynette,

You are already a survivor for many reasons!!! Don't ever give up on you!!!

Shari

Comment

Oh my goodness - I'm so overwhelmed with all the wonderful people on here, your messages just brought tears to my eyes. I feel so cared for here, you are an amazing fantastic bunch of people - thank you thank you thank you!!!

David - Yes I'll definitely let you know everything I find out. I'm going to put together a list of questions for him, such as how many scoliosis surgeries has he done; has anything bad ever happened in any of them; can I contact some of his former patients; what kinds of procedures will he operate on me in comparison to what Dr. Moreno had told me. What I DO know David is that Dr. Moreno is considered one of the best scoliosis surgeons in my area, and apparently whenever he has a major complicated surgery to do, he always does it in partnership with Dr. Cronen due to Dr. Cronen's expertise - plus the fact that Dr. Cronen trained under Dr. Lenke who is renowned to be an expert in the scoliosis field. That was enough to give me confidence right there, so I've set my mind and heart to definitely arrange a date of surgery when I go see him, as I want to put this behind me while I'm a little younger rather than later on when I would have little or no possibility of correction due to my lumbar being at 85 degrees right now, and then the world will be my oyster again

Dr. Moreno had told me that what he does every time with his patients, is put in a filter through the groin to the heart about a week prior to surgery, to ensure against blood clots during surgery, is this normal practice with most of the surgeons? I'm hoping Dr. Cronen does this too - even though I hate the thought of facing yet another procedure before the big procedure, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Lynette,

I didn't have a filter, maybe someone else on here has. All Doctor's have different thoughts and procedures. I can see where that wouldn't be a bad thing though. They put some kind of wraps on my legs that were supposed to help me not get clots, my nursing staff forgot to hook the machine up to them for the first 2 days.

My Mother has a filter in her vena cava to catch clots to her lungs.

Do you have history of blood clots?

Shari

Comment

I know that several people here have had them, but I did not. It sounds like a good thing. If I had heard about it prior to my surgery I'm sure I would have asked my surgeon about it. I also had the wraps on the legs that squeezed them whenever I was in bed.

Comment

Shari - No there is no history of blood clots in my family. However when I had talked to Dr. Moreno about having to have surgery, I got tearful and afraid and told him that I needed to come through this because of my sons. So that's when he had told me that he does that procedure as he likes to cover every aspect of safety through surgery.
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

In addition to the leg wraps, I got post-op heparin shots in the abdomen to prevent clots.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Yes, I wore very tight, white stockings and was given Heparin injections daily.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                      In addition to the leg wraps, I got post-op heparin shots in the abdomen to prevent clots.
                      Sally
                      OMG Sally--was it horrible? I can't imagine getting a shot in the belly.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                        OMG Sally--was it horrible? I can't imagine getting a shot in the belly.
                        No, it wasn't horrible. Remember, I was on drugs and barely felt them.
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Actually I found the Heparin needles horrible. I'm a bit needle phobic to start with and initially I had two epidurals in place so didn't feel them. But I was there 19 days and eventually asked them to use my buttocks instead, my belly was so bruised and some of the nurses made it VERY painful. Truly, some were hardly felt, others I nearly went through the roof and once I cried. The last few days I was there, I refused them. I was walking several times a day which I hoped would be enough to prevent blood clots.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                          X