Surgery Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jimbo,

I'm glad to read your update--you have been on my mind. I'm sorry that the surgeon found surprises in there. HOpefully you won't need additional surgery.

I agree that too many visitors is tiring in the hospital--and even once you're home. I remember once I was home, people would come to visit and if I was too tired, I'd say I had to take a nap while they were still there.

It's all about what you need now. Take care of yourself, and keep us posted.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Jimbo,
      Congrats on being on the other side. It is tough for awhile, but does get better. Aren't you the lucky one with good food and all in the hospital. Good food definitely will help in the healing process. Take care, you are in my prayers.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Jimbo

Great News on getting thru your surgery

Sounds like you are making a good recovery

Melissa

Comment

Hi Jimbo,
          Just echoing other's replies. Great to hear from you, you were in my thoughts for days, wondering how it went. Looking forward to seeing your x-rays. Sorry to hear about the complications but this will sort itself out.

Meantime I'm glad to hear you're walking so well, because that's sooo good for you. That plus sleep plus good food, is exactly what you need right now.

Hang in there, you're on the side now where it can only get better.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Great to hear from you and that you can at least eat, shower and walk. I am 3 days away from my surgery and hanging on to every word (good and bad) from the newest post-ops. Hang in there, rest and let yourself be pampered. We're all pulling for you.

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Aren't you thrilled to be on this side? Plus you know it basically gets a little better every day. Congratulations on this success, take care, and get tons of rest. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Jimbo, I see elsewhere you are in bad pain in hospital. I went through a time like that in hospital. The meds never seemed to be enough, and I was calling for morphine injections before my next lot were due. That went on for two weeks and they wouldn't let me home until I'd gone 12 hours without that extra morphine needle. Finally, on day 19, I was allowed home and I went, filled with trepidation at what would happen to me in the night, being unable to call for that needle when it became unbearable and my meds weren't due. Turns out, the minute I got into my own bed, my spine relaxed totally, and I absolutely KNEW I was going to be ok. And I was. My bed was so much more comfy than the hospital bed and I was so happy to be home, I wished I'd come home a fortnight earlier. It might have saved a lot of pain.

And sleep! No noise or interruptions, it was wonderful. I hope you have a comfy bed waiting for you. It makes a huge difference.

Once home, my oral meds were enough to keep the pain at bay. I blame a very hard hospital bed with lumps and valleys whereas at home my bed was flat and with a foam topper to sink into. Plus that psychological thing of making it to the comfort of your own home.

I hope your pain is sorted, one way or another, very soon.

Comment

Jimbo

You hang in there. Let us know when they release you from the hospital and go home.

Laying on the incision site is sure is tricky in the beginning.... The foam topper helps with that issue.

Take care
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

i am feeling much better today. I walked nearly 1km without my walker!!

But then the bowel pain started again, oh dear that is so bad. my belly swollen right up. they enema'd me, I held it in for 1/2 hour, eeck. I then let it rip and it helped. I was then given a yellow viscous goo to drink and I ran, gown fluttering behind my exposed buttocks, to the bathroom and exploded like a can of baked beans in a fire xD

That was a few hours ago now. I went to for another walk to maternity walk to see the wee ones

I was transferred into a MASSIVE room all by myself. I swear it is the size of a large hotel room. I think they thought I needed a little gift as I was having it very rough.

I have cut down to half my oral morphine tablets and am more relying on COX 2's and valium.

I am still quite concerned about my bowel though. There is still no peristalsis and I fart constantly. Kinda sucks. I just dont want that pain to return and my bowels to return to normal!! anyone know how long it could take?
                    45L/40T
                    Surgery 25/1/2010
                    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Good to hear the news of your big improvement Jimbo, I was still cringing about your pain.

Sounds like you are doing just fine now. Regarding the big BM, I think it's different for everyone so impossible to advise. I think for me, it was around the 3 week mark that I became regular again. The walking you're doing should help. Meantime, fart away! (Easy for me to say now - at the time I was dying of embarrassment!)

Just for my own curiosity...when did they put you on solid food? I had it from day 2 or 3 (fuzzy) and I think it was too early because I didn't have a BM for 9 days. I think it turned to concrete because nothing was moving in there. Get someone to bring you in a box of Nulax. It was the only thing that worked for me, but don't have too much. (I didn't read the instructions, just hoed in, then damn near exploded.)

Comment

JenniferG I was put on solid food the day after my op
                        45L/40T
                        Surgery 25/1/2010
                        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Ah! Then I have this theory, based on nothing more than my own experience and a hunch. It's too soon to be having anything more than liquid foods - clear soups etc, because our gut hasn't yet awoken and got moving again. My surgeon gave me the ok to eat a full diet, but I think he was wrong in this one instance. Too late now, but I wonder if this isn't the reason why you're having problems. Regardless, it does normalise before too long - usually just before you think you're going to die from it!

Comment

Jimbo, I was only allowed to eat yoghurt, clear soups and stewed fruit. The Head Nurse said 'no full diet until we hear bowel sounds', however i needed some substance to be able to walk my first steps,so....drastic times call for drastic measures... i asked for a 'Fruit Box' uugghh and some prunes.. it worked..day 3 post-op... relief! I did strike problems when i got home and our Pharmacist said that i should take one Coloxyl tablet everynight at bedtime while i'm on the Endone and this worked. Day 15 post-op, i came off all pain meds and started adding Flaxseed Meal to my Protein shakes and regularity came back real fast! Best wishes to you, apart from some steps back, you seem to be moving forward quickly.
                            Vali
                            44 years young! now 45
                            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                            Post -op - 5 degrees
                            T11 - S1 Posterior
                            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                            X