Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattress Question - Does anyone have a Tempur-Pedic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JenM ...

My suggestion is don't buy a new mattress for a while.

Get your topper, make yourself comfy ... and choose when you're ready.

A TP is a big investment - and a poor preemptive one when you don't know what you'll really need post-op.

One day/week/month at a time.

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Jen

Ok, Susie Orman mode. If you don’t have a mil in the bank, don’t buy it! Isn't that nice. LOL

Yes they are pricy! and makes it a difficult decision. Unless you have $3000 burning a hole in your pocket, I have to agree with Pam again and say, move slow on this. Throwing it on a credit card, or financing will bring the price up, and of course with today's current economic scenario, its best to go back to the ole "piggy bank" way of doing things. My dad who went through the depression, (the 1930s one) always said, "If you don’t have the money, don’t buy it" He also said "Its easier to save, than it is to earn it"

Them times are changing..... Wasn’t that a "Prince song?"

At the time I bought mine, they had soft,medium, and hard. I bought a medium queen.

My surgery was a tough one. I couldn’t imagine anyone sleeping with me through my recovery. Pam and I did our recoveries alone, and that’s the way we preferred it. I had all sorts of girls, ready to move in. Jeese! Now they don’t want to move in. I guess I'm too cheap. LOL

My suggestion for recovery would be your own room and your own bed, with a topper of course, with a bathroom about 5 feet away. As far as a heavy partner with a tempurpedic, I'm sure it would be fine, not totally positive since I haven't had a heavy over here in quite some time. I don’t drink all that much any more........

The bed needs to be flat. If you lay a straight edge down the length, a 1 inch depression in the center is a sign of hammocking. A sheet of plywood under the mattress will help. A flat hard mattress with 2-4 inches of foam is a great set=up. I also recommend SOFT, SOFT down pillows. They are easily moldable to the height that is needed. If you sleep on your side, visualize your neck, you will want it straight while sleeping.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed - You are too funny!....I too will be going through my surgery alone. Not sure that will be good or not, but glad you and Pam were the trailblazers for me! Thanks for the hope!
        Laura
        62 degrees
        49 yrs. young
        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
          My husband is 6'1 inches, and 230 pounds. I'm worried about him sinking into the bed and then the bed creating a hammocking effect. Do you think this would happen? I'm not sure if the memory foam tempur-pedic beds are the best option for bigger people like him.
          Jen,

I really don't think you can hammock *any* of the Tempurpedics ... they're just not made that way. Remember, traditional mattresses do that when the springs are inadequate to support the load. Tempurpedic's commercial showing someone jumping on the bed - and the glass of wine not moving - is completely accurate. There's absolutely NO weight transfer.

If, at some point, you decide to go with a Tempurpedic king, you have another option you may not have considered: Instead of a king, go with 2 twins (on either a platform or the solid TP foundation) - OR 2 twin XLs on a TP adjustable frame. For that matter, they could even be different mattress models, as long as the thickness is the same. Just a thought if you and your husband prefer different firmness.

I actually bought 2 twins vs. a king - and saved a TON on top of saving on a discontinued model.

You can also save by placing the mattresses on a platform vs. buying the TP solid "box springs". That's one thing to know up front: You can't put their mattresses on a standard box spring ... it voids the warranty.

You also have to buy their special mattress cover when you buy the mattress - or no warranty. To me, it just looks like some kind of water repellent fabric: How silly of me to wonder why they don't just COVER the mattresses with it ...

('cause then they couldn't SELL them to you, of course! ;-)

More mattress musings as they come to mind - heh.
          Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
            Like many others, I did memory foam toppers on a regular mattress before surgery.

I finally broke down and got my Tempurpedic about a year ago (toppers aren't even comparable) ... and never want to sleep on anything else!

Pam
            curious if the tempurpedic mattress keeps you on the warm side...I heard that may be one issue with it.

is it really comfy? thinking about getting one...or sleep by number
            age 15
            Daughter diagnosed at age 13
            T20 l23 10-09
            T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
            T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
            T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
            Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
            Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

We received or 4" Serta memory foam topper last week.....it is awesome! My wife's surgery is next week and as she has dealt with the pain for a long time, she can feel a huge difference in the mornings and after naps. I have lower back pain and let me tell you, for me it has done wonders....go with the 4" from Overstock.com with shipping it was around $200.00 and that is for a King size....

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbluefrog View Post
                curious if the tempurpedic mattress keeps you on the warm side...I heard that may be one issue with it.

is it really comfy? thinking about getting one...or sleep by number
                I'd heard the same thing about heat with Tempurpedics, but I haven't found that to be the case - and I'm so cold-natured, I was HOPING for it.

Some people love the Select Comfort (SleepNumber) beds, but I tested all their models, and they just didn't do anything for me. Also, at the time I was doing my research between the two manufacturers, Select Comfort had a ton of unresolved complaints from hostile customers. Lots of people with malfunctioning pumps, and a virtual online riot over foam bed sides that collapsed and weren't covered under warranty: I wasn't all that fond of their product, so it made my choice really easy.

There just isn't much that can "malfunction" on a big ol' hunk of memory foam. Not a lot of working parts ...

Tempurpedic offers a 90 day trial, but only on mattresses purchased directly from them. I wouldn't actually BUY from them because their prices are substantially higher than one of our local stores. Then again, if a person were to locally identify the mattress they wanted - and ordered that model from Tempurpedic - they could at least *test* their huge investment before sending it back (and only being about ±$200) before the trial period was up ...

With the factory vs. local price difference, a person could still come out ahead shipping one back for $200, and then buying - or not buying - locally.

Just sayin'.

I don't know why they don't just offer the same trial period from all their authorized dealers.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post
                  We received or 4" Serta memory foam topper last week.....it is awesome! My wife's surgery is next week and as she has dealt with the pain for a long time, she can feel a huge difference in the mornings and after naps. I have lower back pain and let me tell you, for me it has done wonders....go with the 4" from Overstock.com with shipping it was around $200.00 and that is for a King size....
                  That's so good to hear Toby. That kind of relief is priceless.

I agree with Ed, that a bed to yourself, a room to yourself, and a bathroom 5 feet away is just what we need after surgery. I didn't have the memory foam topper (I did have an old egg-crate style topper) but I had the bed/room/bathroom to myself and it worked great.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I have a Temperpedic bed that I got a few years ago, and I've never looked back. I sleep beautifully pain free, (whenever I'm not in insomniac mode ), highly recommend temperpedic.
                    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Working...
                    X