No announcement yet.

one year anniversary! woooohooooo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who is scheduled for March 11, I have a question, how "finished" do you feel?

I guess that I am asking, how much more healing do you feel that you need to do?

I hope that I have made myself clear

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

Congratulations, Lynn! That is wonderful to have a year under your belt!

Melissa-- people's recoveries vary so much, dependent on many facets: age, extension of fusion, and various other factors. Looking back at my own progress (and I'm over 2.5 years post op now), at one year I thought I was doing really pretty well. I felt so much stronger and thought I was probably back to what my new normal would be. Time is a funny thing though... even though imperceptible at the time, we (I think I can safely say most of us) keep making progress. It's such a gradual change after the initial recovery, that it's hard to tell it's going on. After two years I could look back and see how much farther I'd traveled on the recovery road than the year before. I'm thinking it will continue that way for me, unless other factors jump in the way. (Like my arthritis!)

I will always have limitations that I didn't before, as my fusion is a long one, but the surgery prevented the gradual (and not so gradual!) worsening that was also limiting me from doing many things I had done in the past. Some of the limitations are frustrating, but it's just something I have to deal with. (Mostly that I can't do everything I'd like to do with my newish grandbabies, now that they are around 20 lbs...) Even so, I am happy with the results of my surgery.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks so much SusieBee. I am feeling so much better about my surgery now than I did just a few weeks ago. Now , I want it to come so I can start my new life. My DD and I are Civil war reenenactors and on Saturday I put on a dress that I had not worn since October and it fit me so differently now as opposed to then. It was so long in the front and so short in the back. The shoulders were so tight and uncomfortable. I want to make myself some new civil war outfits but for obvious reasons need to wait until after the surgery

Melissa

Comment

thanks everyone!

Sorry for not replying sooner! But thanks so much for the warm wishes on my anniversary! I had my 12 month post op visit this past Thursday and as expected everything seems to be "going as planned" I dont need to head back til next January! WOOOHOOO!

As far as my physical limitations, it's a little hard to explain so I will try my best. Im fused from L4 to T5, so what, 12 levels? I have L5 free so I am able to "bend" at that point. I cant keep my torso facing forward and twist to the side if that makes sence. I missed the natural arch/bend of my old spine, but truly, it was worth it. Im now finally used to always having perfect posture & looking erect and upright. To pick things up off the floor, or to bend over say, in the shower to get the bottle of shampoo, are really the only times when I remember I have the hardward in my back. You really just re learn how to do everything you once did, but in a different way. Another way I knew I was "back(NO PUN INTENDED-ha) to my old self" again is when people I just meet, or people who Im not that close to, find out I had the fusion. They say "wow, I would never have guessed at all, you seem to carry yourself very well". This was important to me personally, as I was afraid that I was going to look like I had a 2x4 strapped to my back! Not the case I guess!

Here is a link to some photos of mine on facebook. YOu dont have to be "my friend" on there to view them. I think some one in an older post asked. Feel free to look at the other pics, I dont mind. I must warn you tho, Im a nut! lol

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=18d8de0a26

THanks again everyone, take care!
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Wonderful update and pictures Lynn! I'm so glad that you're doing so well. You know, I get that comment from people about how straight I carry myself. (well really, I have no choice.) One man at work told me that I have such great posture, and everyone else he knows slumps in their chairs but I never do that. (again, I have no choice.)

One way that I pick things off the floor or pick up a dropped razor, etc. in the shower is by using my 'built-in' grabbers or as my daughter calls it, my 'monkey toes.' Sometimes it beats the effort of squatting or bending over.

Again, congratulations on your good checkup.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
            X