Update on broken rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lura,
    I am SO sorry to hear that your son broke a rod. It seems that the pain is different for everyone, I was told some people break rods and don't even know it. I can't imagine that. I am glad he has a great pain threshold, though I am sorry he had to find out he has it!
    Stairs for me at this moment in time are not something I love to encounter. Going up seems to be less painful than going down. In fact, curbs and anything where I have to step down is pretty bad. My rod is broken on the right side. When I step down with my right foot on a stair, curb or anything it feels like the broken ends of the rods "bump" together and it feels almost like an electrical shock. I know it can't possibly be that, since titanium is only about as conductive as the human body...but it sure feels that way. Getting in and out of the car is the same...I think it is the step down out of the car. Also, car rides with potholes make it feel like the ends of the broken rod are rubbing together (and again with the electrical charge feeling), I also found out that I hate newly paved roads with the sound canceling striations, those seem to vibrate the rods as well. Getting up or moving positions results in either a grinding/popping feeling (and subsequently an shock feeling), or just the electrical shock feeling. Each time it pops its pretty jarring. I know it sounds dumb, but it really feels like it sounds, the rods "pop", just like breaking a rod feels almost exactly like one would imagine it to.Its painful, yes, but it is mostly just a really uncomfortable feeling. I hope that helps.
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Fierce,
      Thank you so much for the info. We met with the surgeon today and his reply regarding everyone feeling something different mirrored yours. Alex's right rod is broken as well and interestingly, going down stairs appears to jar him as well, particularly when stepping with his right foot. My dad has a boston terrier that barks when excited and Alex jumps (startled) every time and now doesn't want to go visit Poppa, so I assume that when he jumps it hurts as well. Your information is very much appreciated, thank you so much!

Lura

Comment

Hi Lura,

You are proof that we truly have blessed people in this world.

You and your family are in my prayers now!!!

My silence here is speaking volumes,
        Shari

P.S. I guess I was just meant to shed some tears today.

Comment

Originally posted by Lura View Post
          Fierce,
          Thank you so much for the info. We met with the surgeon today and his reply regarding everyone feeling something different mirrored yours. Alex's right rod is broken as well and interestingly, going down stairs appears to jar him as well, particularly when stepping with his right foot. My dad has a boston terrier that barks when excited and Alex jumps (startled) every time and now doesn't want to go visit Poppa, so I assume that when he jumps it hurts as well. Your information is very much appreciated, thank you so much!

Lura
          Lura,

I am so sorry that your son has a broken rod. Life just isn't fair sometimes. Your family is in my prayers. ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thank you for your warm thoughts Shari and Debbie. You join a handful of other women who make me thankful for this site! During Alex's first surgery I was among a group of mom's whose kiddos were going through surgery at around the same time and the support was amazing. Thank you so much for adding to my list of supporters! It goes both ways, though, I am here for all of you as well!

Lura

Comment

Lura,
              Thank you so much for your post. I, like Shari shed a few tears when reading it, and then responding, thinking of Alex.
              Anytime might be able to help, feel free to message me, even if you just need someone to "type" to.
              Best wishes to you and Alex.
              Did the surgeon say if Alex needs another surgery?
              25 years old
              Anterior on 11/11/08
              fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

Alex will have surgery to "fix" the non fused vertabrae. The doctor said that if Alex appeared not to be in pain, we could leave it, but I am certain Alex is uncomfortable and the doctor agreed once we went over some of his symptoms (your information validated this for me). We are going to try to wait until April due to weather and road conditions. We travel to Spokane, WA., so the roads can be pretty hairy. The x-ray yesterday showed that the rod hasn't moved, so waiting shouldn't bother anything. However, if things appear to get worse, we will do what we have to do. Scary, but the doctor assures me that this surgery is much easier than the first. I just want Alex as pain free as possible ~ he doesn't complain, but he is not his happy-go-lucky self either. I appreciate you and look forward to corresponding! Do you have a surgery date?

Lura

Comment

I really hope that Alex's surgery goes well, and that the wait isn't too hard on him. I had my first and second surgeries for the fusion in November and December last year. I ended up going home on the two worst days for snow and ice in Iowa last year. I was bawling trying to get into the house because I my feet kept sliding out from under me.

I do have a surgery date now! November 5th. I go in on the 4th for pre-op. I am so excited to get it done. It has gotten even worse in the last two weeks. argh!
                  25 years old
                  Anterior on 11/11/08
                  fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

Hi Fierce!
                    I've been looking daily for an update on you. Glad you have a date, you will be in my thoughts and prayers!! Thank you for being so kind and supportive to us. Alex is an amazing young man who loves to dress up like a pirate, pretend to be Harry Potter, and shower our family with so much love. He is such an angel and I hate that he must go through so much, but he is a trooper and an inspiration. I feel so blessed to have found your post prior to Alex's appt. Everything you described was exactly what I was observing but Alex had no words for, you are an angel sent from God!!

Lura

Comment

Lura and Tiger,

I wish nothing but the best for the both of you. The most special thing, is that Tiger, will be able to help you understand what Alex may be going through, and the things that she can do that helps her. Kinda like giving Alex a magic voice!

I've got to stop talking to you 2, I'm running out of tissues, gonna have to switch to TP soon.

Good Luck, Gods speed,
                      Shari

Comment

Lura & Tiger--
                        I'm with Shari. It's wonderful you two found one another and Tiger can often voice the concerns. Thoughts and prayers for both of you and hope this is a last and healing surgery! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Good night Shari and Janet!!! Love you guys!!!
                          I know I am sooooo lucky on this forum ~ I just seem to find the perfect people who are without a doubt gifts from God! Tiger has helped more than she can ever know. Alex is an amazing young man and I wouldn't trade him for the world, but his inability to communicate certain ideas, fears or discomforts causes me great anxiety. He can swear (learns the words from step-brothers and other teens at school), flirt with the girls and call his mom "sweet girl", but I've NEVER heard him say he was in pain and when he was harmed at summer school he had no words to tell me who it was or what they did ~ there lies my heart ache. So, yes, I am ever so thankful to Tiger for giving me words for what I observe. You guys are the best!

Comment

Working...
                          X