Blood Donations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jennifer and Debbei,
    You have to be at least one year out from major surgery and from receiving someone else's blood. That is to make sure you haven't picked up a bloodborn disease from the donor blood, which of course is very rare these days. They don't even ask you about the implants.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks Sally.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
        Jennifer and Debbei,
        You have to be at least one year out from major surgery and from receiving someone else's blood. That is to make sure you haven't picked up a bloodborn disease from the donor blood, which of course is very rare these days. They don't even ask you about the implants.
        Sally
        Yes, thanks Sally. I will call right after my 1 year date. They always used to be after me for my blood. I've got O-, plus something-or-other negative as well which they say they really need. Actually, my whole family is the same blood type; that's how hubby & son donated for me.

I sure know what I'm talking about, don't I?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
          Yes, thanks Sally. I will call right after my 1 year date. They always used to be after me for my blood. I've got O-, plus something-or-other negative as well which they say they really need. Actually, my whole family is the same blood type; that's how hubby & son donated for me.

I sure know what I'm talking about, don't I?

You surely do Debbei. You are a universal donor and that is why they were always after you. The reason they need you is many Oneg women built up antibodies during pregnancy if their baby was Rh positive, at least before the advent of RHoGam, so if they subsequently need a blood transfusion, they need to receive Oneg blood that is also negative to the antibody they developed several years ago. They will be happy to have you back.
          Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the advice. I finally got a call back from his surgery coordinator and she said that it is not in my orders to donate prior to surgery. So i guess i can stop worrying about that now. I also just found out that they did not put in my surgery order to insure that there is no latex products used in my surgery. OMG it would be horrible if they used latex on me during the surgery.
            Diagnosed @ at of 11
            Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
            Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
            (was told would never get worse)
            Surgery November 11, 2009
            Fused T6-T12
            Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
            Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

Hi Loris,

When the nurse and anaethetist do the pre-op check, they will ask you if you're allergic to latex and any of the dressings they intend to use on you.
              I have an allergy to a lot of dressings (sticky) and can only have hyperfix.
              You'll be fine.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

3 weeks before my first surgery I did something called a "Double-double red cell" autologous donation. I had lost a rather large amount of weight in the months before, and I guess the blood center used my "old" weight to calculate the body mass needed to do it. Needless to say, I very nearly passed out and they had to stop the donations 3 times during the course. I ended up having to take a fairly high dose of iron pills to get to where it was safe for surgery. After my anterior surgery (2 weeks after the first) I ended up needing more blood than anticipated. The blood bank was determined not to use any family or friends and said it was "safer" to use blood bank blood because of the antibodies. Something about how if you are exposed to certain antibodies the people around you probably are as well, and it is better to get blood with different antibodies. I had never heard of that before, but they assured me the blood bank blood would be safe...(of course there is always a risk).
                25 years old
                double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                Anterior on 11/11/08
                Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                nearly perfect correction
                fused t-10 to pelvis
                with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Dear Fierce,

Yes, there is always a risk, but that risk is extremely small. The reason the blood bank I worked for didn't like to take directed donors was because of the risk of your family members and friends not wanting to say no to you even though they might be in a high risk group that shouldn't donate. In other words, they might not want you to know certain thinks about themselves, so they agree to donate and then might lie to the person interviewing them for a donation.

Also, if you get a donation from your husband and he has a positive antigen for something you are negative for, you could possibly develop an antibody to that antigen. If you subsequently get pregnant, the baby could inherit that antigen from your husband, in which case, your antibody could attack the developing baby. The prime example is the Rh antigen for which there is now RhoGam shots for the mother to absorb her antibodies before they can harm the baby. There are many antigens on human red blood cells. This is probably what the blood bank was trying to explain to you about antibodies. Is this still clear as mud?

Sally

Comment

Working...
                  X