Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannamom View Post
    JDM555

I know it was a disappointment to have your surgery put off...I'm sorry that happened to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers and will be on the other side of this soon. Ann

Hannamom
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate the kind words.

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    John...

Do you know who the new surgeon is?

--Linda
    It's still Ivan Cheng at Stanford. It's in a guarantees orthopedic OR and there is no cancellation this time. I guess the good news is I will be able to celebrate my brothers bday,my moms bday, and Christmas. An I'll have 10 day break from school to relax before school.
    John

Comment

• Well, that's good news. It would have been nice if they'd offered you the second date before you practically had heart failure. ;-) Ten days is definitely very little time for recovery. I hope that you have an easy time of it!

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Well, that's good news. It would have been nice if they'd offered you the second date before you practically had heart failure. ;-) Ten days is definitely very little time for recovery. I hope that you have an easy time of it!

--Linda
        Lol tell me about it I was about to go in the OR for a heart failure. I should of stuck a note saying while I'm in here please do a spinal fusion LOL. But it's ten days to rest before surgery not to recover after surgery. I will have about four weeks till part time school and full time will be after five weeks. I hope that is enough. If not I will ask the school to keep me enrolled while I rest a week or two extra.

Comment

• Good for you. Enjoy the holidays to the fullest!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
            Good for you. Enjoy the holidays to the fullest!
            Yup Yup Yup! Thanks.

Comment

• Hey John
              that is great that you will not have to wait til spring break or the summer! i hope you can get enuf rest & recuperation time!
              sounds like 2010 will be your year! best wishes to you for a smooth procedure & a speedy return to health, a new & improved you!

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                Hey John
                that is great that you will not have to wait til spring break or the summer! i hope you can get enuf rest & recuperation time!
                sounds like 2010 will be your year! best wishes to you for a smooth procedure & a speedy return to health, a new & improved you!

jess
                Thanks a lot Jess, I really appreciate the kind words. The weather isn't helping the past few days over here and I hope I'm not getting sick. I have been sore from the gym, I need to ease up on that before surgery so I don't go in tired as well. I'm just glad I can do it now and it get it over with, another bad thing is I'll spend new years in the hospital. And even worse than that, On Jan 28, which is part of my "part time" schedule, I have a class at 8AM, which means I have to wake up at 6:45-7AM which will be brutal especially when it's freezing out and I'm trying to recover. Oh well.

Comment

• Are you not in CA...cause freezing is new england right now...believe me!

jess

Comment

Are you not in CA...cause freezing is new england right now...believe me!

jess
                    I bet, but we aren't use to this weather. It is like mid-high 30's, sometimes 40 with a lot of wind and rain. That is like summer to you in England, but here it's usually 60's that's cold and most of the time 70 degrees. So when it drops that low, it's a lot colder than what we normally expect lol.

Comment

• i know you guys arent used to it...you are in malibu, no? or is it northern CA...?

it is 14 degrees right now at 11:47 p.m. in northern Connecticut...charming New England weather!! and that's without the "wind chill," which makes it even colder! not fit out there for man nor beast!! & my little maltese doesnt like it, either!!

jess

Comment

i know you guys arent used to it...you are in malibu, no? or is it northern CA...?

it is 14 degrees right now at 11:47 p.m. in northern Connecticut...charming New England weather!! and that's without the "wind chill," which makes it even colder! not fit out there for man nor beast!! & my little maltese doesnt like it, either!!

jess
                        I am in Norcal Bay Area. the weather isn't as nice as down in socal, but it's nice. 14? Damn, I couldn't handle that.

Update: I was wondering how someone would get a Handicap parking sign? Do I talk to the hospital or do I have to go to the DMV and show proof I had surgery? What should I do? How long is the handicap sign going to last btw? couple of months or a year?

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                          I was wondering how someone would get a Handicap parking sign? Do I talk to the hospital or do I have to go to the DMV and show proof I had surgery? What should I do? How long is the handicap sign going to last btw? couple of months or a year?
                          JDM,

All I had to do was have my doctor to write a prescription for a handicap placard (he did this pre-op), download the proper DMV form, and take it all to the local DMV office. I walked out with my 6 month windshield hanger.

Easy.
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                            I am in Norcal Bay Area. the weather isn't as nice as down in socal, but it's nice. 14? Damn, I couldn't handle that.

Update: I was wondering how someone would get a Handicap parking sign? Do I talk to the hospital or do I have to go to the DMV and show proof I had surgery? What should I do? How long is the handicap sign going to last btw? couple of months or a year?

My doctor didn't want me to get the one from DMV (which I think was for 3 years). So instead, I got the temp 6 month one from my township police department. It was exactly what I needed, and it got me through the slippery winter with icy parking lots.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                              JDM,

All I had to do was have my doctor to write a prescription for a handicap placard (he did this pre-op), download the proper DMV form, and take it all to the local DMV office. I walked out with my 6 month windshield hanger.

Easy.
                              Ok, I went online to the DMV website and went to CA and it gave me a form. I filled out this form, but I need my doctor to fill out 2 parts and sign it. But the thing is, I don't meet with him till the 28th. I would like to have it before surgery so when I get out, I don't have to worry about it. I guess the only way off the top of my head is printing it out, and taking it to him the morning of my surgery day and telling him to fill it out and then give it to my parents to go get the Handicap permit at any DMV and just keep it with them until I get out of the hospital. The thing is, I read you need to make "an appointment" for it, and the DMV's here are incredibly busy. Hmm, is there anyway I can fax the form to the doctor, then have him fax it out and print it then just take it myself? Or would that not work?
                              John

Comment

• in CT, i just got the form, doctor signed it, & i got a permanent handicapped parking thing...no appt needed..i am surprised CA has the time for appts!!!

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X