Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
    Now that trip sounds FUN, although I've never had a desire to visit Mexico. I don't know why.

Hmmmm....ban Ed.....Na, he's too funny. LOL Besides, we don't want to start any more ban threads! LOL You have a good sense of humor. I'm just glad you are feeling so well. Take care!
    I understand what you mean about Mexico. But when you go in groups and stay at a nice hospital that's all inclusive, it's awesome. Just got to stay away from the water there unless it's bottled haha.

I was kidding about Ed, he is a very good member on this forum. Thanks for the kind words. I'm doing good so far. Surgical pain is going down, but my left leg is still hurting.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
      I seriously can't remember the last time I went to the beach here. The water is freezing and Santa Cruz is a good 40-45 minute drive from me, too lazy lol.
      Oh, come on, John, now I'm going to have to call you a lightweight ;-) .........I grew up in Tiburon, and we went to Stinson Beach and went bodysurfing in the summer all the time...of course, you wouldn't even get me to stick my toe in that water now, I'm a wimp who won't go in the pool if it's under 88 degrees, but back in the day.....
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

I understand what you mean about Mexico. But when you go in groups and stay at a nice hospital that's all inclusive, it's awesome. Just got to stay away from the water there unless it's bottled haha.

I was kidding about Ed, he is a very good member on this forum. Thanks for the kind words. I'm doing good so far. Surgical pain is going down, but my left leg is still hurting.
        Did you mean "hotel". LOL ...We can't tell you've had so many surgeries. ;-)
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
          Oh, come on, John, now I'm going to have to call you a lightweight ;-) .........I grew up in Tiburon, and we went to Stinson Beach and went bodysurfing in the summer all the time...of course, you wouldn't even get me to stick my toe in that water now, I'm a wimp who won't go in the pool if it's under 88 degrees, but back in the day.....
          I'm thin, and I get cold really easily, I'm not going in SC water without a wetsuit. And it's freezing here. It doesn't need to be over 88, but as long as it's not shivering cold, then I'm fine. I wish I could of lived closer to the beach and was more into surfing.

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          Did you mean "hotel". LOL ...We can't tell you've had so many surgeries. ;-)
          Lol. Yes. I've been to more hospitals in the last 3 years than hotels, that's for sure.

Comment

• I have to agree with John. Leave the waxing to professionals like Stevo.
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• John, i wanted to ask you if you are driving...does it hurt to sit in a car?
              are you able to walk every day without pain...?
              and are you using the bone stimulator machine thing they gave you?

hope you continue to heal at a nice steady pace...

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                John, i wanted to ask you if you are driving...does it hurt to sit in a car?
                are you able to walk every day without pain...?
                and are you using the bone stimulator machine thing they gave you?

hope you continue to heal at a nice steady pace...

jess
                I can drive, but I don't really drive around much now. If I go somewhere, usually it's with someone else and they drive. But when I did the 2 week post op check up (3 weeks after surgery), I did have some pain from sitting in the car. My car is stiff, so it wasn't too comfortable while driving around. I have some discomfort and aches here and there, but not full on throbbing or pain. If I sit for a few hours, I might get an ache in my lower back and if I walk or lay down, it's better.

I'm using the bone stimulator that I got 6 months ago at UCSF. Berven told me to wear it when I wasn't fused, and it was laying around, so I decided to put it to use. Have been wearing it everyday for the past 1.5-2 weeks. Will keep wearing it. Taking my calcium too.

Comment

I'm using the bone stimulator that I got 6 months ago at UCSF. Berven told me to wear it when I wasn't fused, and it was laying around, so I decided to put it to use. Have been wearing it everyday for the past 1.5-2 weeks. Will keep wearing it. Taking my calcium too.
                  Good to hear that you are following the rules
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• i am so glad you are doing well and following doctor's orders....
                    keep healing, and i know you will be back to 100%...but straighter... really soon...

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                      Good to hear that you are following the rules
                      I should be walking more, but the weather outside is horrible lately. And with my implants, my back turns into a popsicle lol. I will join the gym beginning of January, will start swimming, walking on treadmill, doing very light cardio such as stationary bike/elliptical, and using spa/steam room. That should help me by avoiding siting in a chair for multiple hours and not walking enough.

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      i am so glad you are doing well and following doctor's orders....
                      keep healing, and i know you will be back to 100%...but straighter... really soon...

jess
                      This surgeon didn't tell me it was necessary, but since I had a lack of fusion before, he agrees it's best to play it safe. So far, my back is looking great. Still even and little pain. Hopefully in a few more months, surgical pain will be gone and I'll be fused.

This is gonna be funny, I got a letter in the mail from my insurance. Basically saying how much the surgery and stuff cost. Believe it or not, it says everything was around $800,000. That's insane!

Said drugs were roughly $1000, supplies that were non-sterile/sterile totaled to like $27,000, implants for my back were $490,000 haha. That's crazy. OR services were $170,000. And PT, OT, and recovery room and what not, made that bill up to around $800,000. Have you guys ever heard of a surgery costing this much? Most surgeries, even my last ones were around $2-250,000. Interesting.

Comment

• QUOTE This is gonna be funny, I got a letter in the mail from my insurance. Basically saying how much the surgery and stuff cost. Believe it or not, it says everything was around $800,000. That's insane!

Said drugs were roughly $1000, supplies that were non-sterile/sterile totaled to like $27,000, implants for my back were $490,000 haha. That's crazy. OR services were $170,000. And PT, OT, and recovery room and what not, made that bill up to around $800,000. Have you guys ever heard of a surgery costing this much? Most surgeries, even my last ones were around $2-250,000. Interesting. QUOTE

John,

My July surgery was over 1 million dollars. The implants for my back were over $600,000. It is crazy , isn't it? Glad that I have insurance
                        Melissa

Comment

• That's insane. How can implants cost over half a million dollars. Shoot, they should of just gave me the money these 4 surgeries cost and leave me with scoliosis! I've never heard of any surgery costing over $500,000, let alone $750,000-1,000,000.

Comment

That's insane. How can implants cost over half a million dollars. Shoot, they should of just gave me the money these 4 surgeries cost and leave me with scoliosis! I've never heard of any surgery costing over $500,000, let alone $750,000-1,000,000.
                            I agree. Lots of money
                            Melissa

Comment

• My insurance company paid out $110,000 for mine and I thought that was a lot.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• well, when hospitals can get away with charging hundreds for a single aspirin, it adds up fast!
                                mind you, insurance is allowed to pay just a percentage of the charges, while when an individual pays
                                directly, without insurance, that person is expected to pay the full charges!

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X