Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
    Alrighty, Tomorrow is my pre-op appt and I wrote out a list of questions that I will ask tomorrow.
    Suggestion #1 ... have them tell your mother banked blood is an minuscule risk, and as an adult, make YOUR wishes known in your pre-op.

Cellsaver won't always do the trick, and you've been told not to donate: While you probably won't need blood, don't leave that choice (to receive banked blood or not based on (sorry) ignorance) to anyone else.

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

my 5 cents worth

My surgeon uses Cellsaver for all his patients. After surgery he told me that i had lost about a litre and with cellsaver, they returned about 300ml. I had donated 2 units of my own blood before the surgery. My surgeon asked for three, but my blood count dropped below the benchmark, and i couldn't give the last one. They cross matched 1 unit for me. I didn't need a transfusion after surgery, but they returned my 2 units to me over the next 24 hours and then had my blood tested on day 3 post-op.
      As for the car ride - my surgeon said 'not unless its absolutely necessary, and if you have to, make sure you stop and get out every 20 minutes' (for long rides). Short rides - no problem - only if their 5-10 minutes duration.
      Good luck.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Dear JDM
        interesting pix...
        my waist looks the exact opposite of yours....

i know you will do fine...lots of thoughts & prayers will come your way for a smooth surgery & strong & fast healing...2010 is your year to get back to the things you love to do!

best of luck
        jess

Comment

Nice pics. I had the rib hump on my right side too...not anymore :} I was looking @ your post....don't be self conscious about being taller. I'm like 5'6'' now so not nearly as tall as you haha. But girls like tall guys (my bf is 6'4''). So enjoy your height I'm sure a lot of guys would be jealous
          Maliha

Comment

Thanks for everything guys. I am not mad about being tall, I like being 6'4. But that is the limit, 6'2-6'3 would be max, now 6'5-6'6 is a possibility and that is just too tall.

I had my pre-op yesterday and drew blood and talked to the head nurse and my doctor answered all my questions and gave me the number of another girl who had similar surgery with the same surgeon and I will give her a call soon. Hopefully everything goes according to plan and I will be in the OR on Wednesday morning at 7:30. I am a little nervous, but I hear nothing but good reviews from my surgeon, so hopefully I will have a good recovery. Everyone wish me luck.

I also got the bending xrays, look wicked. Here are some pics.
            John

BTW, I was too tall to bend all the way and stand straight up, I had to squat down 3 inches and bend to my side like half way and at that, they barely got the spine lol.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1o6a21.jpg
            http://i49.tinypic.com/r8rq5c.jpg
            Last edited by JDM555; 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM.

Comment

John

Nice pics! Good thing I have a large monitor.

After you are fused, if for some reason you have an x-ray done, you will get compliments from non-scoli Docs like "nice rack". Its kinda freaky hearing that as a male. Just a simple "thank you" with a little smile, should be your response. LOL

Just wondering if they will use "larger" hardware rather than the standard "male" sized hardware? Your vert are large, wonder if they have longer screws and also larger dia rods? They used 6mm dia (.236) rods for me, it would seem that with your size that a larger rod would also be used?

Good question for your Doc. Any idea which system he will use? Mine was Synthes "Pangea" system.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                John

Nice pics! Good thing I have a large monitor.

After you are fused, if for some reason you have an x-ray done, you will get compliments from non-scoli Docs like "nice rack". Its kinda freaky hearing that as a male. Just a simple "thank you" with a little smile, should be your response. LOL

Just wondering if they will use "larger" hardware rather than the standard "male" sized hardware? Your vert are large, wonder if they have longer screws and also larger dia rods? They used 6mm dia (.236) rods for me, it would seem that with your size that a larger rod would also be used?

Good question for your Doc. Any idea which system he will use? Mine was Synthes "Pangea" system.
                Ed
                Nice Rack huh? Lol sounds fun. He didn't say about "larger" hardware, I think the same hardware for most average patients will be used for me. I do understand what you mean about my vert being large, so maybe they might use a longer screw I guess? My surgeon definitely knows what he is doing, so I will leave it up to him. About the rod, I'm not sure either, why would they need a thicker rod? Is it because I am bigger, so it would need more support or something to keep my spine straight?

And for system, ehhh no idea. I didn't really ask him. Just the typical posterior fusion lol.

Comment

Ehhhh....having a little trouble with insurance. My dad talked to them and they said with a surgery this big, costing over 100,000, the co-pay would be 50-50, but there is a limit to the co-pay. The limit is 7,000, does that sound about right? I hear people paying 500 or 3000, I guess this type of surgery in CA cost a lot?

5 days left.......I am actually excited to be in the hospital and recover, I can't wait till my spine is straight, I stand tall, and I am not embarrassed of my physique anymore. Wish me luck, and thanks for all the help!

Comment

Ehhhh....having a little trouble with insurance. My dad talked to them and they said with a surgery this big, costing over 100,000, the co-pay would be 50-50, but there is a limit to the co-pay. The limit is 7,000, does that sound about right? I hear people paying 500 or 3000, I guess this type of surgery in CA cost a lot?

5 days left.......I am actually excited to be in the hospital and recover, I can't wait till my spine is straight, I stand tall, and I am not embarrassed of my physique anymore. Wish me luck, and thanks for all the help!
                    This surgery is expensive. My total bill (billed to insurance, not paid) for hospital & all doctors was over $250,000. Last year I had a better insurance plan than we do now, and my out-of-pocket maximum was $750. I had partially met it earlier in the year, so all I had left was 500.

It sounds like your plan has the out-of-pocked maximum at $7000, which for this surgery isn't bad. Most hospitals will let you pay over time without charging interest; you just have to ask for it.

Due to my insurance, the hard part for my family wasn't the expense of surgery, but the expense of me not working for 7 months, but we managed.

Good luck figuring out your insurance.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

sorry insurance is kind of a hastle. I have an HMO under my mom and got approved. Before all this I had no idea how expensive it was. The intrumentation was something like 140,00 alone and my stay in the hospital was another big chunk of moolah. I hope it goes well + that insurance figures stuff out.
                      Maliha

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                        This surgery is expensive. My total bill (billed to insurance, not paid) for hospital & all doctors was over $250,000. Last year I had a better insurance plan than we do now, and my out-of-pocket maximum was $750. I had partially met it earlier in the year, so all I had left was 500.

It sounds like your plan has the out-of-pocked maximum at $7000, which for this surgery isn't bad. Most hospitals will let you pay over time without charging interest; you just have to ask for it.

Due to my insurance, the hard part for my family wasn't the expense of surgery, but the expense of me not working for 7 months, but we managed.

Good luck figuring out your insurance.
                        Wow, $750? I wish that was our maximum, insurance is extremely expensive. I will remind my dad to ask about paying over time without charging interest.

Originally posted by spinalfusion09 View Post
                        sorry insurance is kind of a hastle. I have an HMO under my mom and got approved. Before all this I had no idea how expensive it was. The intrumentation was something like 140,00 alone and my stay in the hospital was another big chunk of moolah. I hope it goes well + that insurance figures stuff out.
                        Maliha
                        Yes,insurance it is a hassle, especially when it's such an expensive surgery. Yeah, I know this type of surgery is easily 100000+. Let alone the stay at the hospital and all that good stuff. I just want my back to be fixed and insurance to cover all of it except for our out of pocket 7000.

3 more days.....Ehhh getting a tad nervous.

Comment

Wow, $750? I wish that was our maximum, insurance is extremely expensive. I will remind my dad to ask about paying over time without charging interest.

Actually, after I posted I remembered that we had other expenses that were not covered at all, for the private room & private nurse. So between the 2 of those things I think we also paid about $3000 out of pocket.

3 days to go I was more than a TAD nervous. I think you're doing great. Good luck.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                            Actually, after I posted I remembered that we had other expenses that were not covered at all, for the private room & private nurse. So between the 2 of those things I think we also paid about $3000 out of pocket.

3 days to go I was more than a TAD nervous. I think you're doing great. Good luck.
                            Oh, 3000 is still a really good price for this surgery. I guess 7000 isn't bad, but like I said, I hope insurance doesn't be flaky and try to get out of paying since it's an expensive surgery.

And in all reality, I'm not that nervous. I actually....want it....to be tuesday night so I can get the surgery. I am actually excited to have the surgery, I hope the recovery goes smooth though.

Comment

Awesome, just got a call saying that the date of my surgery was cancelled because they needed that date for transplant patients and I would have to set up another date. How shitty is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X