Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yup. Went by very quick. 9 days in hospital. Discharged today at 1:30. Was walking after 2nd surgery. Everything is going fine. I'll start wearing external bone stimulator tomorrow and and walking a lot. I hope I can fast forward 3-4 months, but it'll come quick just like the past 1.5 months did. Thanks again everyone. Will try to get X-Rays online asap so show everyone.
    John

Comment

• Wow, can't believe that you are home already.Good for you
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
        Yup. Went by very quick. 9 days in hospital. Discharged today at 1:30. Was walking after 2nd surgery. Everything is going fine. I'll start wearing external bone stimulator tomorrow and and walking a lot. I hope I can fast forward 3-4 months, but it'll come quick just like the past 1.5 months did. Thanks again everyone. Will try to get X-Rays online asap so show everyone.
        John
        Wow, it's really good to hear that you are home. How long each day do you have to wear the bone stimulator? Let us know how that goes, as I recall it was painful for you the last time. But then again, didn't you get it like a year after your first surgery? Just curious, does the stimulator restrict your movement, and how does it work from the outside? I should probably just research it for myself, but since you have experience with one, well... I'm looking forward to hearing all good news from you! Take care.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          Wow, it's really good to hear that you are home. How long each day do you have to wear the bone stimulator? Let us know how that goes, as I recall it was painful for you the last time. But then again, didn't you get it like a year after your first surgery? Just curious, does the stimulator restrict your movement, and how does it work from the outside? I should probably just research it for myself, but since you have experience with one, well... I'm looking forward to hearing all good news from you! Take care.
          Yes. I can't believe I'm already home. Went by pretty damn quick! I think wearing the bone stimulator is a 20-24 hour thing. It wasn't painful for me, it was painful to wear for another member on this forum, I forgot who. But I didn't even feel it. It's just like a thick mp3 player, with 2 cords coming out of it and sticking round pads you place on your back. It doesn't do much, but I was told it shows good results. I don't "need" to wear it, I will probably wear it a few times, definitely not 24 hours a day. I think the bonegrafts he used on me are more than enough. LOL

Comment

• hi John
            great that you are home already!
            just wanted to ask if you are able to walk everyday...?
            how far/much walking does the surgeon want you to do this early after surgery?

i hope your surgeon gets the recognition in his field that he deserves...
            he certainly was there for you when others were not!

hope you feel better every day!
            jess

Comment

Yes. I can't believe I'm already home. Went by pretty damn quick! I think wearing the bone stimulator is a 20-24 hour thing. It wasn't painful for me, it was painful to wear for another member on this forum, I forgot who. But I didn't even feel it. It's just like a thick mp3 player, with 2 cords coming out of it and sticking round pads you place on your back. It doesn't do much, but I was told it shows good results. I don't "need" to wear it, I will probably wear it a few times, definitely not 24 hours a day. I think the bonegrafts he used on me are more than enough. LOL
              It sounds kind of like a TENS unit from what you describe. You seem to be in good spirits or at least your post is full of good vibes! Have a quick recovery.
              Be happy!
              but we are alive today!

Comment

• bone stimulator is not the same as a tens unit...
                i believe a tens unit is to stimulate muscles, not bone growth....
                i don't know if they look similar....
                i used a tens unit so many years ago...didn't help me...

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                  bone stimulator is not the same as a tens unit...
                  i believe a tens unit is to stimulate muscles, not bone growth....
                  i don't know if they look similar....
                  i used a tens unit so many years ago...didn't help me...

jess
                  I know they're not the same. It just sounded from his description that they may "look" the same. The TENS unit is just more irritation for me rather than pain distraction. It's a cumulative effect for me and they drive me nuts! I tried mine again a couple of months back. I have a friend that is a very good PT and she gave me permission to mess around with the settings. I found one that kind of felt good for awhile, but then it started to annoy me. Having the wires and carrying around the little box is kind of a drag, especially with my 3 year old grandson always wanting to "see". LOL
                  Last edited by rohrer01; 11-21-2011, 04:26 PM.
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

After my July surgery, I was wearing that same item. I wore it all the time for 6 weeks
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      hi John
                      great that you are home already!
                      just wanted to ask if you are able to walk everyday...?
                      how far/much walking does the surgeon want you to do this early after surgery?

i hope your surgeon gets the recognition in his field that he deserves...
                      he certainly was there for you when others were not!

hope you feel better every day!
                      jess

Yup. I'm able to walk everyday. The second day of my second surgery, I was up and down the hallways with very little support as if I was 1 month post-op or something. The PT was amazed and was really excited to see how easy it was for me. I got up from bed and walked around during the hospital stay solo even without the IV stand lol. Then when it was time for stairs, it took less than 5 seconds to walk over 3 stairs, walk forward, and then walk down 3 more steps without using the rails. So PT was like, uhhh I guess we're done here lol.

Surgeon wants me to walk a lot. So, when I get my stitches out, I think at that point or a week after, I'll sign up at gym and do a lot of treadmill walking and swimming to improve. He was open minded and signed the handicap placard till next May even though he knew I was suppose to be walking a lot, unlike "some" surgeons. This guy is definitely good, and I'm very happy to have met him. I'm already starting to feel better.

He thought since it was 2 revisional surgeries, I'd be in a LOT of pain, so he gave me 60mg of oxycontin three times a day LOL. I took it once, and I was sleeping all day. I'm like that is WAY too much, so I told him I'll do 20mg x3. Which I think is impressive this early post-op. And so far today, all I took was 1 20mg, and I feel fine. So I might even take 2 20mg's a day and a vallium at night if I'm in pain.

Thanks for the kind words Jess. I'm happy with results. I think everyone's prayers and good luck wishes really came through this time! I just can't wait to be fused and return to a solid life.

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                      It sounds kind of like a TENS unit from what you describe. You seem to be in good spirits or at least your post is full of good vibes! Have a quick recovery.
                      I have no idea what a Tens unit is, but googling it, it seems similar I guess. Here is a picture of the bone stimulator I was prescribed from Dr. Berven at UCSF.

http://acutepayne.com/images/ebi%20spinalpakii.jpg

And thanks for the kind words rohrer, I'm definitely feeling much better post-op than the last one. I can't believe this is my 2 revisional surgery post-op recovery versus my first surgery post-op recovery. Night and day difference.

Comment

• I'm going to make the assumption that the cord coming off of the unit branches and attaches to the sticky pads you were referring to? If so, it looks very much like a TENS unit only maybe a little bigger. It's hard to tell from pictures.
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Yes, there is a tiny white cord coming out, and it branches into 2 wires just like you said. At the end are those little circular sticky pads that just stick to your back. I didn't feel any difference, and honestly thought it was the biggest waste of time, but I'll still wear it just in case for a bit.

Comment

Yes, there is a tiny white cord coming out, and it branches into 2 wires just like you said. At the end are those little circular sticky pads that just stick to your back. I didn't feel any difference, and honestly thought it was the biggest waste of time, but I'll still wear it just in case for a bit.
                            Even if it doesn't help, at least you know it won't hurt things. If they are supposed to be so good, I think I would wear it as much as allowed for you. You want those L3 holes to solidify ASAP.
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

• John, is your surgeon OK with a treadmill for you?
                              i've heard surgeons say they wanted their patients on the street and not using a treadmill for a while...
                              i know Dr Lonner in NYC is one of them....

the thought of getting back to the gym for any reason must be making you really happy!

jess

Comment

• Really? Never heard of that. I'll ask him. I got a 2 week post-op appointment with him to remove my staples and what not. The staples and dressings are annoying. Making it super itchy and sweaty back there. I can't wait to hop in a shower lol. Weather has been cold lately, and that's never a good thing for having metal in your body.

Comment

Working...
                                X