Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it shocks me & saddens me that he didn't seem to care how much pain you were in afterwards, after healing should have been completed!
    his name can be added to the list of other surgeons who do not want to hear any bad news from patients....
    if it isn't praise coming their way, they seem to not want to be bothered...which is a disgrace!
    i am also amazed at any who didn't believe you, didn't trust that you know your own body....
    it should be required in med school....to teach future doctors of all specialties that their duty is to trust
    the patient to know what is normal and not normal for their own bodies!
    but i probably shouldn't be surprised...i've met my share of crappy doctors in my time....such a shame they
    give other doctors a bad name!

i am so sorry you suffered so much because of that surgeon, but so glad you found the one you have now!
    thank goodness you knew enough to not believe the first guy, that the best you could have was the pain you
    were in, that he expected you to live with that and accept it! it sounds like he gave you more pain
    than you started out with!

hope you heal without incident now, and you can get on with your life!

jess

Comment

• John you have found a great doctor now. You cannot keep thinking of what happened. You have to keep looking forward. By the way, what your surgeon did is
      what Dr Bederman and I talked about him doing for you if he was your surgeon

Keeping you in my prayers
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Good to hear from you John and everything sounds as though it's going along great. I totally understand your frustration and anger as I have my own anger (more like rage) over what happened with my own son, but it's subsiding somewhat and we are moving on and you will too, when the time is right. I can't wait to see your x-rays!!
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• anger at what the surgeon did does not dissipate so quickly...
          anger that is justified takes a while to calm down.....
          i understand it completely!

jess

Comment

• John

Try not to think about the past right now, concentrate on the future... positive thoughts.
            You cannot change the past, its not worth worrying about something you cannot change.

Think about a pain free back.....its our goal.

Besides, you have to worry about wood. Break out that saw. LOL (remember those classic posts?)
            Laughing is good, but don’t laugh too hard ok?

Congratulations!
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Elisa and Jess,

As neither of you have had surgery, you are in a different position than John and I are. You have to let go of the negatives feelings toward the first surgeon or it
              is not going to work. Positive feelings going forward as Ed has stated is the best way to feel
              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                Elisa and Jess,

As neither of you have had surgery, you are in a different position than John and I are. You have to let go of the negatives feelings toward the first surgeon or it
                is not going to work. Positive feelings going forward as Ed has stated is the best way to feel
                I don't think anyone can tell anyone else how to feel. If John says he has a lot of anger towards his first surgeon, then I accept that's how he feels at the moment; I was acknowledging that. I can see how someone can feel angry about past issues and feel positive as well about the present and future. I am pretty sure that is what Jess meant as well but she'll have to speak for herself.
                Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• there's no sense wasting energy on anger towards the old surgeon. Put all of your energy into healing! You had a great surgeon this time and we all have faith that you will be fine.

Take care of yourself John,

Debbe

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• John, it's great to hear that you are finally doing so well. Think positive and heal. If the anger doesn't go away, do something positive with it, but later, much later. Now is your time to heal both physically and mentally. But remember you are entitiled to your own feelings, but at the same time, you are in control of what you do with them and when to express them properly. Like I said, right now is your time to heal and get to feeling great. I'm glad to know that you are okay. Enjoy the rest of your youth!
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

• So glad to hear you are doing well ...it really validates your feelings that you KNEW something wasn't right. Good luck in your recovery John.
                      I understand your feelings of anger and frustration toward your first surgeon. I had them too. Those feelings will go away as you recover and
                      go forward with your life. Your life hasn't been ruined by this, just sidetracked, and you WILL get back on course. You have shown a maturity
                      beyond your years in dealing with this and I have every confidence that in a short time your life will not be consumed by your back problems.
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

• Melissa, it doesnt have to have happened with one's spine to know what a rotten doctor can do to a patient....
                        it has happened before to me in another situation...
                        it was a life and death situation...so it left some bad feelings...
                        and a lot of mistrust towards doctors...
                        i wouldn't have to be a social worker to know what Elisa just said....
                        she expressed it better than i did...
                        people's feelings take as long to resolve as they take...
                        there is no hurrying them..
                        that said, i am sure John has plenty of time and energy left to think positive thoughts about
                        his recovery and moving ahead with his life....
                        this surgeon has finally made that possible for him!

jess
                        Last edited by jrnyc; 11-21-2011, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Ah John, it's so good to hear you sounding so positive and feeling so much better this time. I think it's healthy and normal to be angry when such a grave injustice is done to us, but also healthy and normal to get over it in time. Right now, I don't blame you for your anger. I think your bitter experience has made you stand up for yourself, push for your rights, and find a way to fix it. You didn't lie down and accept Cheng's advice, you fought back. Even I, from this great distance, have felt anger about how you (and others here) have been treated by their surgeons. But Elisa, Jess and others have said it way better than me, and now is the time to heal, not overdo, take it slowly, no matter how good you feel, and the day will soon come that gratitude will rule your life (as it does mine) as opposed to anger. Life is full of these learning experiences and I think you've handled this one very well for your youthfulness. Your family should be very proud. All credit goes to your new surgeon for turning things around for you. Are you intending naming him?

Wishing you a smooth recovery and a lifetime of not having any further problems with your back.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• He's a private practice, small surgeon here in NorCal. I'm almost 100% sure no one would know him, but if you're in the area and are interested, feel free to PM me.

I hate this part of recovery, the chills and upset stomachs. I'm glad I can walk and all. My left leg is a little sore, hopefully it goes away. I managed to get X-Rays of the 2 surgeries. 2 X-Rays with hardware removal and 1 X-Ray with new hardware. I only have the crappy cell phone pictures, so idk how I'm going to make it work.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I'm really happy with the results. I hope I recover instantly so I can do whatever without pain or discomfort.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                              He's a private practice, small surgeon here in NorCal. I'm almost 100% sure no one would know him, but if you're in the area and are interested, feel free to PM me.

I hate this part of recovery, the chills and upset stomachs. I'm glad I can walk and all. My left leg is a little sore, hopefully it goes away. I managed to get X-Rays of the 2 surgeries. 2 X-Rays with hardware removal and 1 X-Ray with new hardware. I only have the crappy cell phone pictures, so idk how I'm going to make it work.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I'm really happy with the results. I hope I recover instantly so I can do whatever without pain or discomfort.
                              I am so glad that you are doing so well.You have been and will continue to be in my prayers
                              Melissa

Comment

• i hope you recover instantly, too, John...
                                but i guess a little longer period of time is to be expected....
                                i understand your eagerness to get back to your life...or a newer
                                pain free version of it...i hope this surgery opens up all kinds
                                of possiblities of things you will now be able to do that you perhaps couldn't do
                                before....
                                congratulations to you for sticking with what you knew to be right for you and what you needed....
                                and congratulations to your surgeon....he sounds like a really special and talented doctor,
                                and a compassionate one as well!

jess
                                Last edited by jrnyc; 11-21-2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X