Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
    Doing only 20lbs for a back row, I felt like my spine was going to snap, literally. After the set, I was paralyzed in my lower back. I couldn't move, and I had to slowly move back to get off the chair. My spine was so tight, like it was concrete, no flexibility whatsoever.
    Awh John, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. The sentence I quoted you on above--to me, it sounds like your muscles are going into spasms in reaction to the weight. I know you think 20 lbs is light (I sure don't!) but maybe you have to start much lower and work yourself up to it.

I second Jen's suggestion that maybe you should try another doctor and insist on a MRI if you haven't had one since these problems started.

I also agree with Jen about being upset--reacting to pain is not girlie. ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• John

At 15 months with this much pain, its obvious that something is very very wrong.

You have been doing the physical therapy, and shots for a few months now, its safe to say that the next move should be in the works...either back that screw out, or get another surgeon to take a look at things. I would try to take it slow and easy for now till this problem gets solved. No lifting and especially no working on cars! Working on cars is the worst thing you can do to your back. Been there done that.

Also time to rethink your school load. You have plenty of time, school goes on forever you know, it just does.

Things always improve, they just do. You are just going through a tough chapter right now.

If you have to go back in, remember one thing
      “Man who want pretty nurse, must be patient”—Confucius
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• i think TiEd is 100% right!
        i was trying not to say the word "surgery"..
        but i think Ed is correct...
        and it sure sounds like it would be the smart fix now...
        plus, screw removal is nothing like original surgery, according to my surgeon, who told me if/when i have surgery, because i drop to between 87 and 95 pounds, i would likely feel the screws and need them removed...

please seriously consider what Ed is telling you...

jess

Comment

• Yeah. I will talk with my father about this and see what we can do. I know with my luck and the pain I'm in, that the lidocaine shots won't get me any relief. It's either the surgery or another surgeon. I just hope that when I remove the screw, the curvature doesn't progress. After looking at my x-ray, that bottom right screw is holding the L3-4-5 vertebra's from bending. I would hate that it would cause more problems down the road, or if the bone-graft isn't fully completed.

And what is worrying me now, is my left side is hurting daily. So I feel a pain in my lower left back, very low. The top of my pelvis pretty much. That bone is annoying me and is hurting. Like the posture or way I walk has had an effect on it. My whole back is super tight, another thing I feel is when pull my shoulder blades back, I can feel my skin tightening. This is super hard to describe, but I can feel my skin on my back when I stretch it, like it's numb or something, I don't know, just feels weird and nasty. I hate my back.

Comment

• i am so sorry for all your suffering, John!
            i hope you can find the right surgeon to fix things!

jess

Comment

• John, I know exactly how you feel. Please get another opinion and get yourself some relief from pain.

Melissa

Comment

• Woke up today with a very painful neck. I guess I slept in a bad position or something. Very sore and it hurts when I look left/right or up/down. Lol, list of crappy things just keep getting bigger. Hopefully it goes away soon.

Comment

• I hope you feel better soon
                  Melissa

Comment

• John, you have my sympathy!
                    i wake up with that same neck every day...from Lyme (stiff neck is a classic Lyme symptom that often stays forever), plus arthritis in neck, plus an old whiplash injury from undergrad college days...all combine to make my neck stiff and painful every morning!
                    only thing that helps me with that is moist heat...

hope you feel better!
                    jess

Comment

• Well, back has been hurting me all week. I went to the gym again today, did 10 minutes of light bike cardio, then did a back row WITH NO WEIGHT! I swear, it was less than 5lbs for both arms. No weight whatsoever, and I basically used it just as a stretch, and I couldn't move or twist or walk without severe pain and tightness. I don't know what the deal is, but I'm seriously sick of this.

How is a tight muscle in my right lower back causing this much tightness and pain throughout my whole entire spine and both left/right lower back, it's painful down to my pelvis, all of it is in pain. I'm getting muscle spasms and cracks when I walk or turn. I forced myself to stop taking flexeril at night because I didn't want to get use to taking it because it gets addicting after a while. I'm only 21 and I don't want to be addicted on meds to help me sleep at night, the sad thing is I slept like crap with the meds, and now I still sleep like crap.

It's like I am even exhausted in my sleep to the point where I can't rest and have to keep waking up and switching positions or I just can't sleep. I have had a migraine for the past week, it feels like my head is about to blow. I can't help but notice, every post I've had in this thread for the past few months has been negative, when the hell is it going to be positive!!

Comment

• I'm so sorry for this awful mess, (as it must seem to you) but you will find an answer John. But I don't understand why tests aren't being done, why are your doctors just leaving you like this in pain and without hope? I believe you would feel a whole lot better if someone was working on your case for you. You need to know something's being done. This is seriously bad for your mental health. And nobody can tell me that's not at least as important as your physical health.

I admit I haven't followed the whole story - can you tell me what this delay is supposed to be doing?
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• They keep running me through a course of injections or what not. I was suppose to heal at 1 year after surgery, but at 8 months I started getting pain and cracking and found it harder and harder to walk or be pain-free. I did light exercises and walking till 1 year mark, and that didn't help. At that 1 year mark, I went to another doctor, a physiatrist, specifically for muscles/ligaments and what not. I was then told to do some Physical Therapy, I got in severe pain over stretching at some point. I then let it rest for a week, then worked on my car and it hurt to the point where I couldn't stand or walk, It was like I was crippled. I then had a cortisone/lidocaine injection. It took about 1 week to get relief, and then 2 more weeks of decent relief (2-3/10 on painscale) and then the pain starting coming back. Rewind 2 weeks, I talked to doctor again and he said to try lidocaine again every 2 weeks for 4-5 times to see if it helps. I had my first shot 2 weeks ago, and if anything it hurt more the first few days because it got swollen and was extremely sensitive. Then not much pain relief at all, and now I don't want to take another shot because they don't do anything.

Options are either take botox shots, or try another surgery to remove some of the hardware in my back. I don't know what to do at this point. The hardware in my back is being waited on because they aren't sure if my bone graft has completely finished in the healing process. So they are doing these shots to see if it brings relief. I'm in a lot of pain and like you said, it's definitely taking a toll on my mental health. I can't stand living like that, and I have no motivation at all for school. I just don't see the point of doing anything if my life will involve being miserable and in pain every second of every day. I can't even get rest from the pain at night, I don't know what to do.

Comment

• John,
                            That cracking sound disturbes me. At some point during this painful time of yours, did they do a MRI to rule out broken hardware?

I agree with Jen, this is bad for you all around, both phsically and mentally.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• John,

I know how you feel , although I am 51 and not a young person like yourself. I am in constant pain and cannot get any relief from it

Melissa

Comment

• hi John
                                i feel so bad for your suffering and pain!

the best i can think of is basially what TiEd had to say...

it sounds as if you may need more than one surgical opinion...
                                and if i were you, i would try for the best..
                                what would it hurt to call Lenke and ask for a consult...?
                                i know he may have long waiting periods, and you may want to have something done as fast as possible after all your suffering, but it is the OPINION you could get that would be most valuable...even if that meant you had to have a different surgeon perform what is recommended..
                                what i think would be best is to hear what the best guys suggest to solve your problem with pain and lack of functioning....
                                and Lenke isnt the only top guy...
                                there are others out west you could call....probably should call...
                                i think you have been patient as long as can be expected, since nothing is improving....
                                and actually sounds as if it is getting worse..

my own experience with injections has taught me not to expect that much from them....
                                not to say they never help...but for the BIG problems, they usually cannot do enough...

just my thoughts...
                                you are in my prayers...
                                i know there is an answer that will work for you...
                                it is my suggestion...just a suggestion...that you start the search for another surgeon at this time...

jess
                                Last edited by jrnyc; 03-29-2011, 06:31 AM. Reason: splg

Comment

Working...
                                X