Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    is it bleeding or other kinds of fluids? or both?

jess
    I think it's both. I had bloody looking stuff coming out, but my nurses assured me it wasn't 100% blood. I was worried I would run out of blood! I had one in each side of my lower back. The 'holes' where the drains were hurt for months afterwards, but now I don't feel a thing.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
      I think it's both. I had bloody looking stuff coming out, but my nurses assured me it wasn't 100% blood. I was worried I would run out of blood! I had one in each side of my lower back. The 'holes' where the drains were hurt for months afterwards, but now I don't feel a thing.
      Ohhhh, so that is what those two holes are. I was wondering why I had two small holes near the bottom of my incision lol. I had the drain for three days too. I guess if you bled a lot during surgery or something they add a drain. I had two drains and they filled up quickly according to some nurses, I lost a LOT of blood during surgery. I still have a low blood count and it's affecting my heart rate till this day. I might even need a blood transfusion now if my blood count is still considerably low.
      John

Comment

is it bleeding or other kinds of fluids? or both?

jess
        Hi Jess, It's probably both, but the fluid I saw them take out of the collection thing was very dark red and totally opaque. I needed two pints of blood the day after surgery.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
          Ohhhh, so that is what those two holes are. I was wondering why I had two small holes near the bottom of my incision lol. I had the drain for three days too. I guess if you bled a lot during surgery or something they add a drain. I had two drains and they filled up quickly according to some nurses, I lost a LOT of blood during surgery. I still have a low blood count and it's affecting my heart rate till this day. I might even need a blood transfusion now if my blood count is still considerably low.
          John
          Hi John,
          Is there a reason your Doctor didn't order some blood transfusions for you after your surgery if you lost so much blood? It certainly will affect your heart if your blood count is low. I am surprised they sent you home with a low blood count.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
            Hi John,
            Is there a reason your Doctor didn't order some blood transfusions for you after your surgery if you lost so much blood? It certainly will affect your heart if your blood count is low. I am surprised they sent you home with a low blood count.
            Sally
            Well, I mean it's not so low to the point where I was in "NEED" of a transfusion. During surgery they said I was fine and I would just recover fine after a couple of days, or even weeks with the whole blood count thing. I just guess my body is having a hard time building up the blood count again because I still feel low. I actually went to have a blood test today to CHECK my blood count and I barely had enough blood. She poked my right arm and it took a while to fill the first tube, when she put the second tube, it just stopped. I ran out of blood lol. She had to poke my left arm. So definitely there is a low blood count issue going on. It looks like I might need a blood transfusion.
            John

Comment

• is there anything that you can eat or drink that would help build you back up again? have you put some weight back on, by the way?

jess

Comment

is there anything that you can eat or drink that would help build you back up again? have you put some weight back on, by the way?

jess
                Well, not really eat. I guess take Iron pills and drink grape/pomegranate juice. I drank a lot of gatorade/powerade, grape juice, and some apple juice. I am starting to drink pomegranate because I hear that is the best. I haven't put any weight back on. I can't put on weight without going to the gym or taking weight gainers, no matter what or how much I eat. Being 6'4, I need over 4000 calories to gain weight WHILE going to the gym.
                John

Comment

• wow...that's alot..bet alot of women would be jealous that you can eat & not gain weight!

they used to tell athletes....in the old days..to eat steak..that it builds muscle, etc...maybe, looking back, because it was protein...but if weight gain stuff cant do it, i guess you'll just have to be patient til the gym.....you'll get there....patience is hard, i know...

i am going to see dr anand next week....we shall see what we shall see...dont have my hopes up for anything at all....

jess

Comment

wow...that's alot..bet alot of women would be jealous that you can eat & not gain weight!

they used to tell athletes....in the old days..to eat steak..that it builds muscle, etc...maybe, looking back, because it was protein...but if weight gain stuff cant do it, i guess you'll just have to be patient til the gym.....you'll get there....patience is hard, i know...

i am going to see dr anand next week....we shall see what we shall see...dont have my hopes up for anything at all....

jess
                    Yeah, my mom and sister say the same thing about my eating. I actually don't enjoy food as much because of how much I had to eat to gain weight. It was hard. Of course steak/chicken/fish are great for protein.

As far as your visit with Dr. Anand, best of luck with you. I'm sure it will all work out. I know you really wished me luck during my procedure, so I will wish you all the luck as well.
                    John

Comment

is there anything that you can eat or drink that would help build you back up again? have you put some weight back on, by the way?

jess
                      How about a nice dinner of spinach and steak, it's loaded with iron.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Hi John, sounds like you are doing well. Don't know if you do this already, but, try taking the iron tablets at night before bed with a glass of orange juice. I was told that taking iron this way, gave the body a better chance of absorbing it, without the interference of other drinks and food. With regards to the drain, i was informed at my pre-op appt with the surgeon and nurse, that it is put in to stop the accumulation of fluid at the incision site. Once there is evidence that there is very little fluid loss, the drain is removed. Some people have a drain near their chest and this is to stop the accumulation and drain the fluid away from their lungs. One more thing, if you're concerned about the gym thing, maybe you should try Muscle Milk!
                        Vali
                        44 years young! now 45
                        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                        Post -op - 5 degrees
                        T11 - S1 Posterior
                        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

• thanks for the good wishes, John...i'll let folks know how it goes...

i hope your healing continues rapidly & uneventfully...you'll be back, better than before, by springtime! the gym will be there waiting for you.

jess

Comment

• Hey John! It sounds like your recovering very well + go you for being able to drive! Haha I couldn't drive for like 4 and half weeks. Your post opp x-rays look amazing!!!!!
                            Maliha

Comment

• Well, as many of you know, when I got home, I was only on 5mg fast acting oxycodone and I showered the second day and I think I bent around too much, so it hurt my back and I needed to go back on oxycontin 20mg slow release. I took 10 days of this 20mg, and then I went down to 10mg slow release for a week. Yesterday I did 5mg @ 3PM and then another 5mg @1:15 AM. Then today, I didn't take any medication in the morning....or at night. It's almost 10PM, and I am not really in pain. Maybe my back is a little tigher/uncomfortable, but not in pain. I'm surprised, I hope I can pull it off. I will stop taking pain meds until I am in pain. I still have plenty 20mg tablets, at least 10-15. I have 3 tablets for 10mg. and I have 8-10 tablets of 5mg.

John

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                                Well, as many of you know, when I got home, I was only on 5mg fast acting oxycodone and I showered the second day and I think I bent around too much, so it hurt my back and I needed to go back on oxycontin 20mg slow release. I took 10 days of this 20mg, and then I went down to 10mg slow release for a week. Yesterday I did 5mg @ 3PM and then another 5mg @1:15 AM. Then today, I didn't take any medication in the morning....or at night. It's almost 10PM, and I am not really in pain. Maybe my back is a little tigher/uncomfortable, but not in pain. I'm surprised, I hope I can pull it off. I will stop taking pain meds until I am in pain. I still have plenty 20mg tablets, at least 10-15. I have 3 tablets for 10mg. and I have 8-10 tablets of 5mg.
                                John ...

Just remember it isn't a contest ... and pain meds exist for a *reason*.
                                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                                EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                                X