Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John, so sorry to hear about this setback. It must seem major to you right now, but it could be much worse, if you'd done all your healing when things weren't quite right inside, then have to go through it all again.

You are young and strong, have faith in yourself. Ask for something to counter the nausea, it will make your life a lot better. Give your Mom a hug because this is very hard on her too.

You will do fine, you certainly came through the first one with bells on, and you will do that again. In a very short period of time, you'll be back on the road to recovery, this time with the assurance that everything's been checked and re-checked. And it won't be long before you're home.

Don't forget that hug for Mom.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• John,
      Lumbar3491 (Karen) had surgery in late August and her two surgeries turned into three. When you feel better you both can share stories. You're doing great...hang in there. I didn't go anywhere in the hopsital without my emesis basin!
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

• Hi John,

How was the outcome of your revision surgery? Is everything okay now? Did they say what they had to fix??? You are in my prayers. Hang in there!

Laura
        Laura
        62 degrees
        49 yrs. young
        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

• John--
          Just getting caught up on last few days since we finally had Christmas with our kids due to the lovely Midwest weather last week. Sorry to hear about the problems and additional surgery. Thoughts and prayers coming your way in hopes that by now the second surgery is over and the real healing can begin. So glad they caught this early. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Yeh guys. I got out of the second surgery yesterday at 3pm and that was extremely painful. Easily a 9/10 on the pain If not a 10/10. Yesterday sucked. Today is ok but the doctor wants me to walk and be off iv dialudid or w.e. That helped the most. I can barely get out out of bed without being lightheaded or dizzy from my 135+ heartbeat. When I stand I have better posture. I don't eat much now and I get a lot of headaches for no reason. I can stand but my beat hits 150-160 so it's hard. I want iv dailudid and want to rest without stupid nurses.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
              Yeh guys. I got out of the second surgery yesterday at 3pm and that was extremely painful. Easily a 9/10 on the pain If not a 10/10. Yesterday sucked. Today is ok but the doctor wants me to walk and be off iv dialudid or w.e. That helped the most. I can barely get out out of bed without being lightheaded or dizzy from my 135+ heartbeat. When I stand I have better posture. I don't eat much now and I get a lot of headaches for no reason. I can stand but my beat hits 150-160 so it's hard. I want iv dailudid and want to rest without stupid nurses.
              Hugs to you. You'll be a little better within a few days. Pooey on those stupid nurses.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Hi John
                you poor thing...so sorry the additional surgery was needed! wonder if the headaches are coming from the elevated heart beat...i do know that hi blood pressure causes headaches...i'm sure not eating isnt helping! your body has been thru so much trauma!!

i hope & send prayers that your pain lessens...you need a break from it...can you talk to your own doctor about alternative pain meds now that they want you off the IV medication you were on?....maybe the best thing for you is sleep between standing & doing whatever walking you can manage! i know they want you walking as much as you can....

i dont expect to see you back on forum so often...will just keep you in thoughts & prayers for rest, healing & reduction of pain...

jess
                Last edited by jrnyc; 01-01-2010, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Awww John glad to hear the second surgery went well. And I know probably the hardest part of my experience was trying to sit up for the first time I remember feeling so light headed and dizzy I wanted to vomit but I didn't have anything in my stomach but that passes after the first few days so hang in there! And once you ge back home you'll sleep all you want with no nurses. You'll be home soon + God Bless!
                  Maliha

Comment

• The pain isn't too bad suprisingly when I sleep but during the day when I don't take percocepts or dilaudid my back feels soo tight and I can barely move. I like some of the nurses here but definitely not all. Anyways hopefully I'll get an xray tomorrow and everything will look perfect I hope he doesn't end up saying he needs to open one more time. I'll kill someone lol.
                    I've also been farting a lot. I have taken stool softners but not laxatives. Today my stomach was dying and I got something called the milk of mangnesia or something like that. Hopefully I'll get my first BM tomorrow and I'll be able to get up to walk.
                    John

Comment

• glad you are even feeling good enuf to post...didnt think you would be!

i thought sleep might be the best thing for you....that & moving as much as you can, when you can....i hope your stomach cooperates, too, so you can go home!

here's to your feeling a little better every day...or every hour!...thoughts & prayers continue for you...

jess

Comment

• about those nurses you dont like...just blast a couple farts when they're close and im sure they will keep their distance! haha just kidding. hope you feel better soon.
                        Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
                        Still unsure of post-op numbers
                        37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                        Scoli pics

Comment

• Thanks guys, that's the thing,i'm in a lot of pain and it seems like someone on drugs is writing this message but,w.e.I make a good fifty mistakes typing it. It's harder than giving child birth.lol

my stomach still hurts badly and I fart a lot but the nurses like my smelly farts lol. I keep getting damn heartburns I didn't even eat anything spicy or w.e

Comment

• I know what you mean about the gas! I am 3 weeks post op and feel better every day. I remember my days in the hospital and how hard I had sleeping. My back was killing me and even trying to sit up in bed killed me. I remember the doctor telling me that i couldn't go home until I had a BM. This scared me because I didn't want to eat. On the third day, i forced myself to eat, just so I could go home. I was lucky, because I only had one bad nurse. He forgot to give me my pain meds and I had to keep calling him. He finally arrived to my room 2 hours behind schedule and at that point, I felt dizzy and sick because of the pain. Your in my prayers! Sleeping for me is getting easier, since my doctor prescribed Ambien. It knocks me out fast. Good luck John.

rich

Comment

• Haha I know what you mean! And the tightness is there for a few weeks but it gets better and better each week. And about the gas yep that's gonna happen haha but the pain killers dehydrate you so its good to definitely keep things moving along.
                              Maliha

Comment

• oh...that reminds me...i forgot that most painkillers are constipating! ironic, huh? i know it is true of the orals...must be true of the IV ones as well....

i really hope that you feel better a little, day by day..sounds like the hospital is really rough on you! did they say what levels they fused & why you needed the revision...you probably dont care about anything but going home at this point! i wouldnt either if i were in your shoes! plenty of time to find out that info after you are home & feeling a little bit stronger

thoughts & prayers continue to be sent your way...it is so much to go thru, especially so young..but then again, the youth thing will help you heal faster in the long run...

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X