Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing my Luck, I saw this coming. Today sucks basically. I ate like crap and I have no appetite. It's weird. I went to get xrayd and they made me wait for half an hour by then I was already lightheaded and felt like crap. I started throwing up because 6 people didn't even know how get two damns xrays. I felt like crap. Now the really bad news is.......I need revision surgery. Assistant surgeon came in telling me how the rods and nuts need to need realligned. My mom is nonstop crying and i'm insooo much pain right now. Did u guys hear about revision this soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
      Knowing my Luck, I saw this coming. Today sucks basically. I ate like crap and I have no appetite. It's weird. I went to get xrayd and they made me wait for half an hour by then I was already lightheaded and felt like crap. I started throwing up because 6 people didn't even know how get two damns xrays. I felt like crap. Now the really bad news is.......I need revision surgery. Assistant surgeon came in telling me how the rods and nuts need to need realligned. My mom is nonstop crying and i'm insooo much pain right now. Did u guys hear about revision this soon?
      Wow, that's a bummer John. I don't think I've ever heard of a surgeon telling a patient that they made a mistake this early in the process. It sucks that you have to go through it again, but at least you didn't have to go through months of recovery only to start over.

I'm betting that you were switched to oral pain meds recently, and that's what is causing the nausea. And, you're probably in pain because not enough of the pain medicine is getting into your system. Hope they can get that worked out soon. When is the second surgery?

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Hang in there John! You are tough..and young...and this temporary setback will soon be a distant memory. You will be on the recovery road shortly..and you will have a very straight back the entire rest of your life!!! This is only temporary. And thank you, by the way for the updates. It's good info for those of us yet to face surgery. Mine will be 3/31. Hang in there! You are a CHAMP!!!

Laura
        Laura
        62 degrees
        49 yrs. young
        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

• Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
          You will get through this and may not even remember this part!!! Don't worry about your heart rate, it may do crazy things right now along with your blood pressure. Your body is just trying to adjust to the major changes going on . Ed is right, it is good to transition to oral pain meds while you are still in the hospital. I didn't until the day I went home and that was very tough to adjust to. I've never seen anyone with this much support before, during and after surgery!
          Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          Wow, that's a bummer John. I don't think I've ever heard of a surgeon telling a patient that they made a mistake this early in the process. It sucks that you have to go through it again, but at least you didn't have to go through months of recovery only to start over.

I'm betting that you were switched to oral pain meds recently, and that's what is causing the nausea. And, you're probably in pain because not enough of the pain medicine is getting into your system. Hope they can get that worked out soon. When is the second surgery?

--Linda
          Surgery is tomorrow afternoon for about one hour. No food after 12 and I'm worried I'll be in too much pain. I just want to get this over with and go home and recover n just keep me in your prayers.

Comment

• You are certainly in my prayers John
            I am sorry to hear about your second surgery tomorrow
            God Bless

Melissa

Comment

• i so sorry that you need revision surgery...what rotten luck! but at least you are there in the hospital, & like someone said, you dont have to start all over....this is a hitch in the plan...i think it would have been worse if you went home, did what you were supposed to, healed, & then told to go back to the hospital to have more surgery! i'm sorry this happened......but you will get it over with, & get on with the real task of healing...
              i agree that the nausea may be from oral meds...maybe you will be able to talk to the doctors before they send you home with meds...perhaps there are one or two of the pain meds that you would do better on...

it is now about 2:30 a.m. and i assume that you are having the surgery this afternoon...i am saying prayers that this goes the way it should, that this time does the trick, & that no more back surgery will be needed! there are others praying for you, as well! i just know that 2010 will be a good year for you...& am glad that your revision will be done before the new year officially begins... maybe later they can explain what/why this revision had to be done....in the mean time, try to rest & let them know about the nausea...you will need to eat to gain strength back! i am sure your parents will be talking to the doctors about all of it...

thoughts & prayers for you & your safe outcome...
              jess

Comment

• Dang. Im still learning about all of this too, but I know I wouldnt like to hear I have to go back under that soon...Jess makes a good point, that at least they realized it before you got home and got comfortable. From what Ive beed reading in this thread, you sound like a tough dude, and will have no problems with it.

Cant wait to hear about the results. Good luck.
                Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
                Still unsure of post-op numbers
                37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                Scoli pics

Comment

• What a bummer John. Good luck with your surgery today. You're in my prayers.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Hope all goes well today with your surgery John

You are in my prayers

Melissa

Comment

• John

Wow!

Its good that they caught this and are fixing things now.

Soon it will be over.
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                        Knowing my Luck, I saw this coming. Today sucks basically. I ate like crap and I have no appetite. It's weird. I went to get xrayd and they made me wait for half an hour by then I was already lightheaded and felt like crap. I started throwing up because 6 people didn't even know how get two damns xrays. I felt like crap. Now the really bad news is.......I need revision surgery. Assistant surgeon came in telling me how the rods and nuts need to need realligned. My mom is nonstop crying and i'm insooo much pain right now. Did u guys hear about revision this soon?
                        Hi John,
                        I'm sorry you have to have more surgery. I'm sure you aren't the only one to have to be realigned. That is why they do x-rays. I threw up in x-ray also. I had to scream for an emesis basin because there was no one visible from where they put me in my wheelchair to wait to be taken back to my room. Vomiting can be caused from anesthesia or pain meds. See if they will try something else for you. There is also a medication that will help with the nausea but I don't recall the name of it. This is probably just a minor set back and I also am praying for you. 2010 will be a much better year for you.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• John I'm so sorry that you have to have another surgery after all this! That is such a bummer :{ :{ :{ I'll keep praying for you + I really hope this all goes by as smoothly as possible for you. If its any consolation I remember like 4 details of my hospital stay you might remember it now but after a few weeks you don't remember a whole lot. I'm so sorry again but at least they're doing it now and not a month into recovery because that would be really bad too. HANG IN THERE!!!!!
                          Maliha

Comment

• John... so sorry to hear you need more surgery.You will be in my prayers
                            Aug.17,09 Anterior
                            Aug.20,09 Posterior
                            Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                            Cedars-Sinai
                            Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                            Husband married 30 years
                            3 kids 29,28,25
                            4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

• John, you're in my prayers, also. They found a problem early, and they fixed it early. You will do amazingly well, I'm sure. Just take all this one day at a time. And before you know it, you will be two years post op and keeping us informed with everything you accomplish!
                              Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                              Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                              T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                              Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                              Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                              Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                              Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                              Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                              Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

• John!

Believe it or not this is a good thing. Better to get it right the first time, then you can go home and recover well. You are probably nauseated because you are taking narcotic pain meds on an empty stomach. Good luck in the New Year! Be Positive and things will go well for you ;-))
                                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                                X