Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference is:

* between "it's possible" (what I was saying) and "it's likely" (what Dr. Anand seemed to be suggesting)
    * between a forum participant gathering data points and a practitioner explaining results people might expect.

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    This is similar to this post:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...19&postcount=3
    But, anecdotal is good enough for a disorder which never reverses on its own. It is proof that scoliosis *can* be reversed through non-surgical means, even though there is not enough information yet to show exactly how it was reversed.

As far as I know, no adult has completely reversed their scoliosis curves. In fact, it's rare that anyone gets even a 50% improvement, even in the short-term.

--Linda

Comment

• You're kidding! Wow, I agree with Linda--that's a big-time record. I couldn't even sit to do computer for weeks, let alone to have a non-fuzzed brain that could barely read! Ahhh--to be young! Wonderful news. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I agree, this has to be a record!

Hang in there John. Congrats!

I'm still waiting for someone to text the forum during surgery. I guess the only possible way that would happen would be using acupuncture, in China.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• What can I say other than wow.....I was in ICU for the first day, I don't really remember much for a couple days.And I did not want nothing to do with a computer for about 2 months.I guess you recover quick when your young.I hope your recovery remains speedy.Best of luck to you.
          Aug.17,09 Anterior
          Aug.20,09 Posterior
          Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
          Cedars-Sinai
          Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
          Husband married 30 years
          3 kids 29,28,25
          4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

• Good grief, is that really you John?

I couldn't even open my eyes for the first 12 hours. They were swollen shut so even if I wanted to get online, which I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to.

I'm amazed. John, rest!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Wow John!!!!1 Get some rest!!!! All I did on my computer at the hospital was watch movies and fall asleep! Such a trooper! God Bless you and I'm glad you're doing well :} And the soreness will go away eventually :}
              Maliha

Comment

• Crikey! feels like i just posted you 'best wishes' for your op. That was fast....
                Take it easy. Must be some juice they gave you!
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

• Hi John
                  wow..congratulations...santa gave you your wish..you had your surgery!

rest, heal, feel better day by day...& dont do too much too soon!

happy for you..
                  jess

Comment

• Haha hey guys. Yeh I woke up about an hour after surgery. I had plenty of guestsso that helped. I am using iPhone not the laptop right now. My back is soo sore but as much pain I was in before surgery this isn't too bad. The doctor said the surgery went pretty much perfect. I needed fusion from t9-l3 so I saved l4-5. I want to go home soo bad this bed sucks. And I have a bad headache and i need to eat. I'll keel you guys updated. Thanks for everything guys.

Comment

• Thats so cool that you can use your phone! That'll help a lot! And the worst part of the hospital for me was when they sat me up the first time because my blood pressure went up really fast and then I got super dizzy so once that is over its all good. It might be better for you though everyone's different. :} Sleep well!!!!!
                      Maliha

Comment

• You seem to be doing wonderfully well, John. I bet you're glad that surgery went ahead and now it's over. All you have to do now is rest and recuperate.

I too was hungry from Day 2. My surgeon was surprised but said if I'm hungry, I can eat...a full diet. Big mistake in my view. I questioned it at the time but was given the go-ahead. I thought, "Dr. knows best!" LOL. Big mistake. I should have started off on liquids, clear soups and jellies. I blame my horrible constipation for 9 days and bad tummy pains (plus very painful indigestion, which I'd never experienced before in my life) on going straight onto a full diet.

Just a friendly warning!

Now, please rest!
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                          Haha hey guys. Yeh I woke up about an hour after surgery. I had plenty of guestsso that helped. I am using iPhone not the laptop right now. My back is soo sore but as much pain I was in before surgery this isn't too bad. The doctor said the surgery went pretty much perfect. I needed fusion from t9-l3 so I saved l4-5. I want to go home soo bad this bed sucks. And I have a bad headache and i need to eat. I'll keel you guys updated. Thanks for everything guys.
                          Good Lord--I don't think I would have been able to SEE the iPhone when I was in the recovery room! It's your young blood Hope you feel better soon.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• The record goes to..................J O H N!!!!!!

Heh Heh, I TOLD you you were going to do well!!! I just know the rest of your recovery is going to go smooth. Keep on breaking all the time lines on each milestone and you will be better then your old self sooner then you think! Big hugs to you John, sending good thoughts your way. Suzy

Comment

• Seeing you respond so quickly makes me feel a little better about my surgery on Monday. Glad to see that you're doing well !!
                              http://mixasu.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Ooh thanks guys. They had the PT come like thirty minutes ago and that wasnt fun. I definitely got taller so I'm About 6'5 . The bad thing is my heartrate was way to high. Just resting in bed I'm at 120 and when I got out of bed it jumped to 140-150. So I'm a little worried about that. Is there anything to do now besides rest? I was a little lightheaded when I got up.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X