Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spinalfusion09 View Post
    haha true that is a lot of dude. You just have to be really careful thats all. To be honest I really don't remember a lot of the first few weeks. The drugs they had me on hit me pretty hard haha
    Yeah, I bet I will forgot who came to visit me and a lot of the days at home. This is going to be an interesting couple of weeks coming up lol.
    John
    Originally posted by spinalfusion09 View Post
    and about standing 4 like showers and stuff you're body will definitely tell you when enough is enough. I could stand but it wasn't in any way comfortable. But you get past that and everything gets easier.
    Yeah, I think I would have to sit on something, I have a tub, I can just turn on the water and side on the side and just watch my self and then water myself down because I don't want to slip, unless I get "shower shoes" that is lol. I will try to find a shower mat so I don't run the risk of slipping.
    John

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    hmmmmm....there's always sponge baths & alcohol rubs...temporarily, that is....

dec 28 is etched in my mind now..i will be praying all day...cause it is your date & i know that with all the prayers from everybody, nothing can go wrong...your job is just to relax, rest & heal...

jess
    Thanks a lot Jess, Like I said before, I really appreciate all your prayers and luck. I really do. I will have a computer/iPhone with me, so I will post to let everyone know how it goes and take pictures as soon as I can.
    Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    John...

I really want you to stop thinking that you're going to be disabled. If you think you'll be disabled, you probably will be. This is a big surgery, but there are hundreds of us here who have gone through it, and few are anywhere near as disabled as you think you might be.

You will almost certainly be able to shower yourself. I showered by myself on day 13. I agree that it's a good idea to get some shower shoes to be certain that you're not going to slip accidentally. You might also want to get a shower chair or bench, although you should check with Dr. Cheng about any of this stuff. I have some helpful hints for post-op on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

And, another page on resuming activities:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PostSurgActivities.htm

Note that this is a page that is slightly outdated, as many surgeons no longer use post operative braces.

--Linda
    Hi Linda, I don't think of myself as Disabled, I just don't want to shower when I'm not ready and risk falling. Or I don't want to walk when I am in a lot of pain on the way to school because I don't have the option of using a Handicap Placard. I understand this is a big surgery, but I am not worried at all because I know I will recover nicely. I am young, in shape, and gym almost daily. So I'm pretty sure I will recover nicely, but I really am worried about falling or making mistakes, thats all. Thanks for the websites, they both really helped. Thanks for everything Linda.
    John
    Last edited by JDM555; 12-22-2009, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
      but I really am worried about falling or making mistakes, thats all.
      Join the club. I think we all worry about stuff like that, even when we haven't just had surgery. It's really not all that uncommon for someone who has had recent surgery to slip and fall. I did it twice. Within the first six months of my surgery, I fell down a flight of stairs... on my back, and slipped and fell while trying to clean my hot tub. In both cases, I was sore but fine. The implants that will be used for your surgery are pretty tough, and it would take a huge amount of force to dislodge them. You may feel fragile, but you actually won't be.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• John, showering isn't that bad. I was told by my doctor to use "press and seal" plastic to cover my incisions. It felt good after my first shower and shave. I was nervous, but it felt good, just worried about getting my dressings wet, but the "press and seal" took care of it.

rich

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          Join the club. I think we all worry about stuff like that, even when we haven't just had surgery. It's really not all that uncommon for someone who has had recent surgery to slip and fall. I did it twice. Within the first six months of my surgery, I fell down a flight of stairs... on my back, and slipped and fell while trying to clean my hot tub. In both cases, I was sore but fine. The implants that will be used for your surgery are pretty tough, and it would take a huge amount of force to dislodge them. You may feel fragile, but you actually won't be.

--Linda
          Alright. I'll keep that in mind, but hopefully I won't slip and fall.
          John

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
          John, showering isn't that bad. I was told by my doctor to use "press and seal" plastic to cover my incisions. It felt good after my first shower and shave. I was nervous, but it felt good, just worried about getting my dressings wet, but the "press and seal" took care of it.

rich
          Ok. I'm sure my doctor will tell me what I have to do to shower a couple of days/weeks after surgery. I bet it would feel great to start showering after 2 weeks in bed lol.
          When does the scar start to look better? For the first couple of days or weeks, isn't it all big, little blood, and ugly? When does it start to heal? A couple of months? And I guess I can't be in the sun directly, so does that mean I can't go to the beach or pool this summer? Would that affect the healing?
          John

Comment

• I can answer that last bit about the sun. At six months my surgeon said I could expose my scar to the sun but not let it get burnt.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              I can answer that last bit about the sun. At six months my surgeon said I could expose my scar to the sun but not let it get burnt.
              6 Months....hmmmmm....By Mid May, we are going to Bahamas for a wedding, I hope that doesn't mean I have to stay in a shirt under an Umbrella and can't go swimming does it?

Comment

• My scar took longer than usual to heal up because I had a problem with the internal stitches but it was still closed up by 4.5-5 weeks. I had surgery in the summer so I did spend time at the beach. I kept it covered until it was completely closed and wasn't allowed to swim until it was closed. Once everything was closed up though, my doctor didn't have a problem with me going to the beach, swimming, etc. I bought some good sunscreen and put it on religiously. I also kept a shirt over my bathing suit at least some of the time so it wasn't getting too much sun. I asked about the beach/going in the water at my 3 week appointment and he said it would have been ok if the incision were closed but since it wasn't I would have to wait. I'm sure it won't be an issue by 6 months. You just have to remember to use a lot of good sunscreen because the skin on your scar will be very sensitive.

Also, I was able to shower the day I got home from the hospital (so like a week after surgery). I bought a shower chair to use but I really didnt like showering sitting down so I ended up not using it except when I had to shave my legs. I just made sure I told someone if I was getting in the shower the first few times in case I had to call for help. If you are concerned about slipping you could get one of those rubber bath mats for inside the tub.
                Sarah
                22 year old grad student
                Boston brace from 12-14
                surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
                Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
                Thoracic curve 47*
                Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
                http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah105 View Post
                  My scar took longer than usual to heal up because I had a problem with the internal stitches but it was still closed up by 4.5-5 weeks. I had surgery in the summer so I did spend time at the beach. I kept it covered until it was completely closed and wasn't allowed to swim until it was closed. Once everything was closed up though, my doctor didn't have a problem with me going to the beach, swimming, etc. I bought some good sunscreen and put it on religiously. I also kept a shirt over my bathing suit at least some of the time so it wasn't getting too much sun. I asked about the beach/going in the water at my 3 week appointment and he said it would have been ok if the incision were closed but since it wasn't I would have to wait. I'm sure it won't be an issue by 6 months. You just have to remember to use a lot of good sunscreen because the skin on your scar will be very sensitive.

Also, I was able to shower the day I got home from the hospital (so like a week after surgery). I bought a shower chair to use but I really didnt like showering sitting down so I ended up not using it except when I had to shave my legs. I just made sure I told someone if I was getting in the shower the first few times in case I had to call for help. If you are concerned about slipping you could get one of those rubber bath mats for inside the tub.
                  Thanks for your response, that helped. I will wear a shirt as much as I can and maybe go swimming when the sun starts to set (5-7PM instead of at 12) and I will use a lot of sunscreen.

And that's amazing you were able to shower the day you got home. I will try to shower 1-2 weeks after surgery depending on how I can stand/walk/move/etc. Hopefully I'll be stiff and sore, but able to move on my own. I'm just worried about returning to full time school in a month after surgery.
                  John

Comment

6 Months....hmmmmm....By Mid May, we are going to Bahamas for a wedding, I hope that doesn't mean I have to stay in a shirt under an Umbrella and can't go swimming does it?
                    John, you really are a worry wart. Do you want some cheese with that whine? You worry about being too tall after surgery, walking, scars and falling and whether you will have to wear a shirt in the sun. Come on man, try to relax and stop worrying. Try to think about others at this time of year rather than dwell on so much negative stuff. Live is way too short and if this surgery is the worst thing you ever have to deal with, you will be one lucky man. Just some common sense advice from an old lady.

I hope this doesn't sound too mean, it isn't meant that way. Things have a way of working out without the worry. Many of us will be praying for you.

Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                      John, you really are a worry wart. Do you want some cheese with that whine? You worry about being too tall after surgery, walking, scars and falling and whether you will have to wear a shirt in the sun. Come on man, try to relax and stop worrying. Try to think about others at this time of year rather than dwell on so much negative stuff. Live is way too short and if this surgery is the worst thing you ever have to deal with, you will be one lucky man. Just some common sense advice from an old lady.

I hope this doesn't sound too mean, it isn't meant that way. Things have a way of working out without the worry. Many of us will be praying for you.

Sally
                      I know what you mean, but this isn't the only health problem I have, I have a bunch of things wrong with me. And just knowing I have all this crap pisses me off, so now when I have even more restrictions for this surgery, it's just even worse. I wouldn't say I'm worrying or whining, there are plenty of other people who would shit their pants just thinking about having the surgery, I don't even give a damn, I just want to make sure I don't do anything wrong, so I have a lot of questions, is it wrong to ask or is there a certain limit to how many I can ask?

And are you saying worrying about surgery is no big deal? I'm going to have a spine surgery at 19, that sure sounds like a fun procedure doesn't it? And scars, I don't care about scars, I just have questions about the healing process of it. Falling after surgery, come on, who isn't worried about that, that's definitely on my things NOT to do list. And lastly, I'm 6'4, I already get made fun of/teased being this tall, I really don't need another 2 inches. That's my opinion if I worry about my personal appearance, not yours.

Comment

• I have a 21-year old son (also with scoliosis), and I think you're doing great. The countdown to the surgery is nerve-racking, from everything I've seen here. If it helps you to work through that nervousness by thinking ahead about what you need to do, I say go for it.

Best of luck on your surgery. I'm sure you'll do fine, but I absolutely understand worrying!

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                          I have a 21-year old son (also with scoliosis), and I think you're doing great. The countdown to the surgery is nerve-racking, from everything I've seen here. If it helps you to work through that nervousness by thinking ahead about what you need to do, I say go for it.

Best of luck on your surgery. I'm sure you'll do fine, but I absolutely understand worrying!
                          Thank you! Just for the record, I'm not worried about surgery. I really don't mind it. It was suppose to be on the 16th, and all the way till the 14th, I was living a normal life. But it got postponed and I got mad, because I actually WANTED to have the surgery. I'm looking forward to it, it won't be fun, but long term I won't have the lower back pain I have daily now.

5 Days left for the Big Day! I wish it was tomorrow morning lol.

Update: Darn assistant said she mailed the Placard from Stanford MONDAY @ 2PM. Even if it didn't go out, it would go out tomorrow morning (Tuesday) and should of arrived by 1-2PM since it's only a 30 minute drive. It didn't come yesterday. Today, it didn't come either, there is no way an envelope takes over 2 days to come from 30 minutes away. I'll give her a call and see if she mailed it.

If I don't get it tomorrow morning and do it at the DMV, I will not be able to do it Friday, closed for Christmas. Sat/Sun they are also closed, MONDAY is the big day. I have to renew my license as well! I want to have the picture when I'm not drugged up on morphine LOL.
                          Last edited by JDM555; 12-23-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Thank you! Just for the record, I'm not worried about surgery. I really don't mind it. It was suppose to be on the 16th, and all the way till the 14th, I was living a normal life. But it got postponed and I got mad, because I actually WANTED to have the surgery. I'm looking forward to it, it won't be fun, but long term I won't have the lower back pain I have daily now.

5 Days left for the Big Day! I wish it was tomorrow morning lol.
                            John,
                            this is the toughest part. And you have to go thru Christmas through this tough part, which probably only makes it worse. Advice from a fellow worry-wort: try not to dwell on it and make yourself crazy. It will be here before you know it and then you'll start your recovery.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
                              John,
                              this is the toughest part. And you have to go thru Christmas through this tough part, which probably only makes it worse. Advice from a fellow worry-wort: try not to dwell on it and make yourself crazy. It will be here before you know it and then you'll start your recovery.
                              You know, I think it got pushed back for a great reason. Like it was a sign or something, I got to celebrate my brothers bday by going out to a sushi bar (Need to be over 21) and I got in no sweat (never happens) and we even went to another bar after (also, over 21) but it NEVER happens, I have the worst luck, but I guess the surgery being pushed back, and able to spend with my family/friends on their birthdays is a great sign.

Also, my mothers bday and dinner. I will also get to enjoy Christmas Eve AND Christmas and of course opening/giving of presents. So I really like the idea of 28, but I don't like how it took off 1.5 weeks from my recovery. New Years I'll be in the hospital probably sleeping lol.
                              John

Comment

• Ho,ho,ho

John,

Getting that pic shot slammed on opiates sounds like a great idea! If you were having a bad day and got pulled over, the officer would never suspect anything. LOL

Here in Nevada, you do not get your new license after the photo. They mail it to you. That's a way to make sure you have an address.

Anyway, its Christmas. No sense worrying about things. Its time for hot toddies, eggnog, Santa suits, (if that's your thing) LOL and presents! And of course, remembering how lucky and blessed we truly are.

Merry Christmas
                                Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X