Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    do you think you could squeeze in a thyroid blood test before the surgery?...tired doesnt help healing! PLEASE mention it to the surgeon...that you need your thyroid checked..low thyroid slows things down...i used to get cold all the time...used to gain weight looking at food! not since thyroid pills...been on them over 20 years! i get blood checked at least 3 times a year...

maybe it is something else...you are not anemic, are you? & other things..that a layman wouldnt suspect...should be checked out!

have you had your pre-op blood work done yet?

see...now we will worry about you....please take care...

jess
    Yes I had the pre op and blood test and I guess everything is fine because they ddnt say anything about it. I had a couple of tests and everything was fine even the doctor said that everything is fine but I can try thyroid meds. So that means the tests came back fine or else he would of told me. You said you can just look at food and gain weight easily? It's impossible for me to gain weight. I need over 4000 calories and gym daily to gain. So idk. I seriously think this curve and the pain is causing my tiredness. I will be fine I guess. I'll ask him Monday if anything came back from the tests. I can't get a blood test within the next week. I don't want to risk it.
    Last edited by JDM555; 12-21-2009, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• you may very well be right...pain in the back exhausts the whole body...& to function with the pain, you are always kind of fighting against it! when i worked 2 jobs in nyc & had all that pain, i could ignore the pain for awhile when i got really busy, but as soon as i took a break around 12 o'clock or so, it would hit me like a mack truck!! then i would take the pain pills & pray for them to kick in fast...back then it was only a lower dose of hydrocodone...but it took the edge off so i could stop grinding my teeth from the pain...

i also used to go to the gym 4 times a week! before the pain got so very bad that even with stronger pain meds, i could no longer do it! that is when i took early retirement!

so...i dont know how you do that gym thing that you do...how do you deal with the pain? with the lumbar pain, it weakened my whole body..i think the lumbar causes weakness from lack of support in the back..it was hard to even do the elliptical machine for cardio, let alone lift any weight!! ..whereas i think thoracic is more dangerous for the lung & heart problems!!

wishing you best of luck..it's the 28th, right?

jess

Comment

you may very well be right...pain in the back exhausts the whole body...& to function with the pain, you are always kind of fighting against it! when i worked 2 jobs in nyc & had all that pain, i could ignore the pain for awhile when i got really busy, but as soon as i took a break around 12 o'clock or so, it would hit me like a mack truck!! then i would take the pain pills & pray for them to kick in fast...back then it was only a lower dose of hydrocodone...but it took the edge off so i could stop grinding my teeth from the pain...

i also used to go to the gym 4 times a week! before the pain got so very bad that even with stronger pain meds, i could no longer do it! that is when i took early retirement!

so...i dont know how you do that gym thing that you do...how do you deal with the pain? with the lumbar pain, it weakened my whole body..i think the lumbar causes weakness from lack of support in the back..it was hard to even do the elliptical machine for cardio, let alone lift any weight!! ..whereas i think thoracic is more dangerous for the lung & heart problems!!

wishing you best of luck..it's the 28th, right?

jess
        Yes, I really think this is the problem. The more pain I am, the more exhausted/tired I am. I feel sooooo dead, like my whole body is DRAINED, to zero. I can't even stand up straight, I walk lanky/tired as if I'm a zombie. My mouth sometimes hangs open and I don't even notice, or my eyes are open halfway as if I didn't sleep for 3 days. I don't know, I know I wasn't always like this, as a kid I was hyper and was crazy. But after that growth spurt, I started feeling extremely tired and lazy. Even in the pictures I took, I looked dead and so unhealthy. Now that I gained weight and got in shape, it helps, but my back got worse now and it hurts even more.

I feel like my back isn't supporting my body, It can't handle it I guess. I don't know how to describe it, but my lower back is like killing me. Gym, oh my, I am in PAIN! it is throbbing and I have points where I can't really do anything, so I kind of stretch, but it hurts really bad, no matter what exercise I do, my lower back muscles get pumped and tighten up, and it causes me to be in pain. The rib hump gets worse, since there is a big amount of muscle I developed on the right side of my back/oblique, that muscle somewhat hides in the cold, and when it's warm and I work out, it gets pumped and it hurts even more. I have been eating horrible and working out less and less efficiently/heavy the past few weeks/months, and that is cause this keeps getting worse, stress from school and finals, and the list goes on. I just can't wait to get fixed, then to recover, and get on with my life without pain and be energetic as a 19 year old should be.

YES, It is the 28th. Please pray for me and wish me luck to recover in the short 4 weeks I have left.
        Last edited by JDM555; 12-20-2009, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• that pain & exhaustion is your lumbar area not able to support you the way normal spines do...i admire your persistence in the gym, though i think you should ease up a little now that surgery is approaching...

i have trouble walking from just that same lack of support from my lumbar curve....it is a deep ache & pain...the thing for you to remember is that chronic pain wears you down...because it just doesnt let go, it doesnt quit..it is there all the time, & that is exhausting to deal with!

yes, thoughts & prayers to you on the 28th & beyond for smooth healing....afterwards, you will build back up to a new & improved you...think of all you can do in your life without that constant pain!!

best regards
          jess

Comment

that pain & exhaustion is your lumbar area not able to support you the way normal spines do...i admire your persistence in the gym, though i think you should ease up a little now that surgery is approaching...
            John,

Jess brings up a good point: You should definitely stop anything you might currently be doing that build back muscles. It only creates more mass to cut through, and it doesn't offer an advantage in recovery.

The main thing to focus on right now is leg, arm and core strength. You're going to use your arms - and particularly your legs - as long as you're on bending/lifting restrictions.

Also, STRETCH ... the more limber you are, especially through the hamstrings and the psoas, the more comfortable you're likely to be.

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

that pain & exhaustion is your lumbar area not able to support you the way normal spines do...i admire your persistence in the gym, though i think you should ease up a little now that surgery is approaching...

i have trouble walking from just that same lack of support from my lumbar curve....it is a deep ache & pain...the thing for you to remember is that chronic pain wears you down...because it just doesnt let go, it doesnt quit..it is there all the time, & that is exhausting to deal with!

yes, thoughts & prayers to you on the 28th & beyond for smooth healing....afterwards, you will build back up to a new & improved you...think of all you can do in your life without that constant pain!!

best regards
              jess
              Oh don't worry, I already was cutting back compared to what I did a couple months back because of my eating style. I eat a lot less and was less energetic/busy with school, so the gym was cut. Then for the past 2-3 weeks, I go for 40 minutes and do very light sets, so it's somewhat cardio. Then 10 minutes on the bike just to get a little in shape. I don't lift hard that much anymore because of my back. I just want to be in shape for the surgery. I hope that after surgery, I will be at 110/100 and can go back in the gym to get over 215lbs.

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
              John,

Jess brings up a good point: You should definitely stop anything you might currently be doing that build back muscles. It only creates more mass to cut through, and it doesn't offer an advantage in recovery.

The main thing to focus on right now is leg, arm and core strength. You're going to use your arms - and particularly your legs - as long as you're on bending/lifting restrictions.

Also, STRETCH ... the more limber you are, especially through the hamstrings and the psoas, the more comfortable you're likely to be.

Regards,
              Pam
              Yes, like I said I barely workout as hard as I did before. Plus, my diet isn't that great, so there isn't much muscle building going on. I rarely do back exercises now because of my back pain and if I do, it's just 1-2 sets and it's light. I focus on arms/legs as well. I keep getting headaches and I feel so sleepy today. I am trying to eat whatever I can in the next 8 days so I can gain some weight or be healthy enough so when I get the surgery and don't eat for a couple of days, I don't starve to death.
              John

Comment

• John, you will be in my prayers on your surgery date. I also used to work out pretty hard. My back muscles have been weak for the last three years, but didn't think anything about it. I would get emberassed when I would do sitting rowes, if I wore a tank top, because my hump would show. I never knew it was scoliosis. My old doctors would tell me that it was a muscle knot and nothing else. Your one of the lucky ones who can't gain weight. I'm on the other end, where I just look at food and gain weight. I would do an hour of cardio and hour of weights everyday. You will be surprise how fast you recover, because of your current body dynamics. I can't wait to return to the gym, but will take it slow.

rich

Comment

• Hi Rich
                  just a thought..before i was put on thyroid pills, i gained weight whenever i stared at food...i swear! i have been on the pills for over 20 years, & get my blood drawn at least 3 times a year to check the levels..

did you ever get thyroid checked?

hope you are feeling better
                  jess

Comment

• Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                    John, you will be in my prayers on your surgery date. I also used to work out pretty hard. My back muscles have been weak for the last three years, but didn't think anything about it. I would get emberassed when I would do sitting rowes, if I wore a tank top, because my hump would show. I never knew it was scoliosis. My old doctors would tell me that it was a muscle knot and nothing else. Your one of the lucky ones who can't gain weight. I'm on the other end, where I just look at food and gain weight. I would do an hour of cardio and hour of weights everyday. You will be surprise how fast you recover, because of your current body dynamics. I can't wait to return to the gym, but will take it slow.

rich
                    Thanks, I appreciate it Rich. I get embarrassed of my rib hump too, my is horrible and at the gym since I'm pumped, it looks even worse. Even in a shirt I have to bend a certain way when I get water for it to not show. It hurts so much and I'm in pain daily. I wouldn't say I'm "lucky" to stay skinny, I look nasty skinny, very very small bone structure, narrow shoulders, tiny wrists, tiny rib cage, after putting on 60lbs, I still look skinny. And after what I had to go through to put those 60, I would rather do cardio and barely eat ANY day of the week. Stuffing your face with food (not the best food that comes to mind), most of it was stuff I didn't enjoy, and I had to eat till the point where I was about to blow. And I took protein and weight gainer shakes and that made me gag everytime. Workout 2 hours a day, it was hard. I would EASILY rather pick 3-4 high protein, low calorie meals and do cardio each day.

Anyways, how is your rib hump now after surgery? Is it still prominent or is it pretty much gone? I hope my disappears or significantly decreases. I hope I recover quickly. When can you return to the gym? I was told at 6 months, I can do light weights and ease in everything. I will do that, bike/walk for a bit, then do light weights.
                    John

Comment

• Got a call today saying "My doctor wants me to walk and doesn't want to give me a Handicap Placard"

Load of BULL!!!! It's raining over here, my campus is already big enough that I will easily walk a mile a day just on campus. 4 weeks after surgery and walking 1 mile is already going to be a hassle, I know he wants me to walk, I understand that perfectly, but for both the campuses I'm registered at, there is a LOT of walking involved either way. My state college, I take a light rail, and from the light rail, I walk at least 3-4 blocks before I get to campus, so that is going to be hard. Second campus, which is a community college, has a HUGE parking lot, I really don't want to be exhausted just walking to class. I just want it "IN CASE" it's pouring and I'm tired and can't complete the walk all the way, I won't be relying on it everyday.

I told him I want to talk to him, so hopefully he will understand what I mean.
                      Last edited by JDM555; 12-21-2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Hey John! I'm sorry about what the doc told you about walking and stuff. You're up in NorCal right? I went to UC Santa Cruz for a year and it was a lot of walking. I'm back down south now. There's no way I would have been able to walk those hills 4 weeks after surgery! Let alone walking that far. I walked extremely small distances up until the 5th week. Then I slowly was able to walk more and more without main or exhaustion. I totally think its ligitimate for you to get a handicap placecard. I had to take this semester off because of surgery; I would have missed way too much school. I did take classes online though. I hope it works out!
                        Maliha

Comment

• Originally posted by spinalfusion09 View Post
                          Hey John! I'm sorry about what the doc told you about walking and stuff. You're up in NorCal right? I went to UC Santa Cruz for a year and it was a lot of walking. I'm back down south now. There's no way I would have been able to walk those hills 4 weeks after surgery! Let alone walking that far. I walked extremely small distances up until the 5th week. Then I slowly was able to walk more and more without main or exhaustion. I totally think its ligitimate for you to get a handicap placecard. I had to take this semester off because of surgery; I would have missed way too much school. I did take classes online though. I hope it works out!
                          Maliha
                          Yeah, I keep getting more and more worried about school. 4 weeks isn't enough for some people to even shower or have a car ride without being in a lot of pain, let alone be walking close to a mile in the rain for school. I'm waiting the doctors phone call and if he is stubborn, I'm going to argue with him. This is ridiculous. 4 weeks and going back to school is already going to be extremely hard, I don't need to walk a mile a day on top of that. What if I fall from the rain or if it's pouring, I'll be drenched by the time I get to class and late. I hope he understands and lets me get it.

Comment

• Hey John,

I think you need to point out to your Dr. It is they, not you, who pushed back your surgery date and you will have less time to recover before going back to school!! Tell them you MUST have the handicap placard. I had an awesome recovery and in no way would have been ready at 4 weeks to do all that walking. Be forceful with this point and I don't see how they can say no. You might offer him a compromise, have him put a limit on how long the placard is good for so he knows it won't be a crutch for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzy View Post
                              Hey John,

I think you need to point out to your Dr. It is they, not you, who pushed back your surgery date and you will have less time to recover before going back to school!! Tell them you MUST have the handicap placard. I had an awesome recovery and in no way would have been ready at 4 weeks to do all that walking. Be forceful with this point and I don't see how they can say no. You might offer him a compromise, have him put a limit on how long the placard is good for so he knows it won't be a crutch for you.
                              Yeah, after I complained to his "assistant", she talked to him about my situation, and he FINALLY agreed to do the handicap placard. I get a call back saying if I would like to pick it up or have it mailed to me (the form) and I say before you do that, when does it expire? She told me February 1, 2010. What kind of BS is that? It expires in 4 weeks after surgery? Really now? I won't be going anywhere in the first 4, why would I need it then, I called back and started yelling now telling her wtf is this, I don't even need it then, it's going to rain and it will be slippery and I will have to walk at least a mile a day for school and I really don't need to be "forced" to walk. I need to have it just in case. She's like fine, let me talk to him again. He pushed it to the end of February, I have no idea why he is so stingy. I know he wants me to walk, and I will walk daily on my own, it's just I don't want to be forced to walk from the parking lot to class which is a good 15 minute walk, especially when I'm freezing, it's 7:00 AM, it's raining, and while I'm on pain meds. I guess it's better than nothing, but I don't see what the big problem with leaving it for 6 months is? I really don't know why he is forcing me to walk even after only 8 weeks. I hear stories about people not able to even go to school part time at 3 months and he expects me to walk over a mile a day with doing 16 units of school full time everyday of the week 5 weeks after surgery.

Comment

• i dont get it??!!! i got a "lifetime" one with my G.P/rheumatologist's signature...cause i dont know if i'm having surgery, & there are days i can barely walk due to severe lumbar pain/weakness...so it was just easier for him to fill it out for lifetime (he just checked off that box on the form) ...he filled out the DMV form, no questions asked by motor vehicle..they issued it in 2 weeks without problem...

i think your doctor is making it too complicated...does he not know you well, that you are the kind of guy who will walk for your own health, but not necessarily at 7 a.m. or on the way to a class...?? better to walk when there is no hurry or rush! maybe you just need to tell him in person..which i guess is tough...we usually deal with doctors thru their nurses or receptionists!

i feel bad for the petty annoyances you are dealing with right now..the last thing you need! any chance anyone could give you a ride to school the first few weeks?

best of luck
                                jess

Comment

Working...
                                X