New here - comtemplating surgery - made appt with Dr. Boachie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lisa7-

I sent you a private message. Hopefully you received it. Not sure if it went through as my internet connection got lost at the same time. Thanks for posting.
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Hi Jen
      no no no...please do not scare yourself watching bloody scary video of stuff...that is for the strong of stomach....

is the neck thing in any way connected (no pun intended) to the scoli thing? i have a bad neck thing, & i need it x rayed to see if it is from my lyme disease (left over) or part of my scoli problem!

my pain doctors are just that...that is all they do...they usually specialize in anesthesia (sp?) or neurology....i am thrilled with the S.I. shots, having had so many othes that i hoped would help & didnt. a good pain doctor can be an excellent ally...it does not rule out surgery...just helps you out from under the pain for a little while (if you are lucky) to consider all things!

best of luck
      jess

Comment

Hi JenM,
        I know exactly where your coming from. I watched the same youtube video, scared the hell outof me. Then had anxiety set in at my pre-admin appointment to the point of breaking down in tears, however, if you were to ask me "if we could erase the last 16 weeks and start fresh, would you have elect to still have the surgery?" my answer would be "yes".

JenniferG - thankyou.
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Surgery with Dr. Boachie in June 2010...

Hi JenM. Are you still considering surgery in July of 2010? I am going to Dr. Lonner for a second opinion in the beginning of November, but I plan on having surgery with Dr. Boachie in June of 2010.

Today I read about a minimally invasive technique by Dr. Anand in L.A., so I'm going to check that out on Monday. It sounds too good to be true for my case, but we'll see. Thank G-d, I have no pain, but I'm doing this for my future. Keep us posted about your decision. All the best, Joy

Comment

Hi Joyfull-

Welcome to the forum. I am new myself. I read your post the other day and saw that you had an appointment with Dr. Boachie. Yes, I am still thinking about surgery with Dr. Boachie. I originally had an appt. with him in December, but his office called me the other day and my appointment was moved up to the beginning of November. I never met him before, but I have heard such great things about him. If I feel comfortable with him, I will probably move forward with the surgery and I am now looking to do it in June 2010 also! Maybe we will be at the HSS during the same time!

Keep me posted with what you decide to do and which surgeon you choose.

Best of luck to you.
            Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
            Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
            Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
            Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
            31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

To all afraid of surgery

I had my extensive revision 7 years ago ----at age 60. I got my life back and am still able to work. Was I afraid? Of course and I am in the medical profession but my fear was lessened by the gratitude that I could be helped and not become disabled and a burden on my husband.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
              X