A bit of an update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ed,

We did indeed have Hawaii Five-O here, years ago.

I hope we hear from Geish before long.

I was on Oahu about 20 years ago, hired a car and drove round the island. Drooled on Sunset Beach, the setting of old surfing movies from my teens.

Enjoy the remainder of your holiday. I know it's been long awaited.

Aloha!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      I fly home in 2 more days.
      Good choice. Better than swimming the first stretch and then walking the last.

I was on Maui a few years ago. Amazing weather. A huge variety of sand types on the beaches.

Glad you had some rest and relaxation.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Ed,
        Can you package up some of that Hawaiian weather and ship it to the mainland, preferably the Northeast? I'm glad you are having a wonderful time. I have a skating buddy who is moving to the Big Island. No more skating for her, but the snorkeling and the weather and the sunsets will make up for it.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally
          I have to say that Hawaiian weather on the big island with Vog is something to consider. I could see the the smog from the airplane flying back down from Honolulu. It surrounds the whole southern end of the big island.

About 5 years ago I went to the volcano to check out the lava. As you walk past the end of the "chain of craters" road, there are signs warning of the vog and all the gasses it contains. Of course there are hundreds of people that are walking towards the lava, ignoring the signs. I took some pics from about 10 feet from the flowing lava and it was so hot, I thought my hair was going to catch on fire. After, I felt horrible, and had to spend the next day in bed. I've had a few days on this trip where I felt horrible. Its from the vog.

Its funny how I feel so much better during my dives, its probably due to the filtration systems on the scuba tank compressors.

Sharon
          We have done some lengthy dives on this trip. I would say probably up to a mile in length. I could probably swim back to San Fran with enough air. LOL Its been quite a workout, we keep kicking for up to 80 minutes on some of the dives, dealing with current and surge. I have to say its great for the back!

I think if Hawaii wants to boost tourism, they need to lower airfares. Its quiet out here....
          I was also wondering if they were doing scoli surgeries in Honolulu?
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Debbie,

That's awesome to hear and definitely gives me some hope. I've had a difficult time as of late and worried that maybe this was a good as it was going to get. I'm sure that's not true at all, just feeling overwhelmed I guess. There have been other things that have been weighing on my mind as well. Time to add stretching to my routine, I think it's time!
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Jen & Deb
              this is definitely inspirational as i contemplate fusion surgery for spring 2010...also am thinking maybe dr neuwirth..i liked him alot the one time i was examined by him!

also, it would be front & back incisions to sacrum, so reading that anyone with surgery to pelvis is doing well makes me feel very hopeful!!!

blessings to all who go thru this surgery...& thanks to all who are able to share their good news...

jess

Comment

To Jen, Deb and Ed,
                I love reading your inspirational posts, especially when they involve travel and excercise. I'm having travel withdrawals at the moment, I'm considering asking my surgeon if its ok to travel this Christmas. I will be six months post-op.

Jen, I noticed you traveled at six months post-op. Is this when the surgeon ok'd it for you?

Deb, like you I also felt a little 'braggy' when I posted about quitting my pain meds on day 15 post-op, however, on a positive note, it shows that this surgery whilst very scary for some ( i was terrified) may not be as bad as originally thought.

To all post-ops, keep posting the 'braggys', their inspirational.
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Vali, I try to keep in mind that this is not over yet.

I booked my trip because I was fit and fine and had a travel-mate who was willing to help when necessary. I also had my 6 month surgeon's visit 3 days before going away. I listed a few things i.e. snorkelling, swimming, massage etc. and he said yes to all. As for lifting, he gave me a limit of 10 kilos, held close to my body. He knew I had no pain and had been fine for three months.

I did not count on having to carry my suitcase over a mountain path through jungle nor did I anticipate the bouncing from a day of speed-boat travel round Tioman Island. We sat on low wooden planks, no cushioning. That worried me because we went through some choppy seas on one side of the island. However, my luck continued for which I'm grateful!

My next surgeon's visit is on my one year anniversary, March 3.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Debbe!!! AWESOME news!! Im so happy for you! I know what you mean about feeling normal again. I now go days at a time with this feeling. The only time I really "remember" I have a stiff spine is when I lay down or get up from laying down or when I have to pick something up that Ive dropped...which seems to happen all the time. AGain, so glad to hear you're doing so well....its nice to hear those kinds of posts here too!!!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital
                    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
                    X