Back Numbness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jess,

Once your a few weeks along try going to a mall if there is one near you. For me here in VA Beach it was hot and I couldn't breath at all walking outside so the dr. mentioned walking indoors at the mall. In the end I opted for my elliptical in my bedroom. I will tell you though the elliptical has been great for my legs but doesn't begin to help with the walking. When I go out I still walk really slow and tire very easily. Good luck and be careful!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi susan
      thanx for the suggestion...the mall sounds like a great idea!

i am fooling around in my head with next spring...last winter, it was cold thru april & may in CT, i swear...lately we have little spring & this summer we had maybe 2 weeks of real summer weather! so as far as safe OUTDOOR walking, i would probably request april....

today i got sacroiliac joint injections at the pain dr...we are hoping it helps dissipate the excruciating pain in waist & hips ....my lumbar is the worst, thus the fusion suggested from T11 & from L4 to sacrum, front & back, with fixation ()....

i know all this is stalling for time, & that steroids, even directly into the pain with injection, are not good for the body! i am having a long & difficult time coming to a decision, though..so i keep seeking temporary help, hoping it will clear my mind to a final mind set about surgery...

thanks to all who have given me help & feedback..i appreciate every single response!!

jess

Comment

Jess,

I hope your finding that your injections are helping you with the pain. I remember that pre surgery pain all to well. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. As for your surgery, your looking at a lot of work, I wish you the best. I always questioned weather or not I should have been fixed to the sacrum or pelvis. I'm glad that I am not but worry that in time I will be faced with another surgery. I am going to be positive and keep reminding myself that my surgeon knows best.

As far as your weather up there, your right you didn't have much of a spring this year or summer for that matter. My parents are in RI and they were always telling us about the rain everyday or the lack of temperatures this summer. I think you right about picking a spring date for your surgery! Good luck!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

susan, thank you so much! and your parents are right...between the rain june july & the cool weather, we had 2 weeks of summer,. & not much spring! we re now awaiting "indian summer,"...i remember going back to work in manhattan in september to the schools & boiling from the heat...now it is semi cool, with no hot weather in sight!!!

i am having good results with the S.I. injections ...the epidurals didnt help...but this seems to be working on that awful waist & hip pain...it is so crippling, cause you absolutely cant walk with it! i dont know how long the relief will last, so i am now thinking maybe april for surgery...there are 2 surgeons in nyc i love...one more i am supposed to see in CT, but i am sure i will go with nyc....born & raised, i suspect all true new yorkers are secretly convinced that the best doctors in the USA are in nyc...at least, i probably do!.

i hope you never need to return to the operating room...my doctors tell me i must be fused to sacrum or i wont be stable...i truly hope you can avoid that!

best of luck to you
          jess

Comment

Working...
          X