pt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris,

I would like to thing that I am not the average person :O) but you are absolutely correct when you say it does take a full year. I wish my doctor realized this. I think this is where I am feeling the need to push myself to get better with in the 6 month time frame. He said at 6 months I would be taking care of the baby by myself and it would be fine for my husband to get underway. THAT'S what is at the root of all this worrying. I can't see myself doing that even though it's still 2 months off. There will be a lot I can do but there is still a lot of daily lifting involved and somedays I may just not be able to do it. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I do have plenty of back up but I long for the day that I can do it all on my own again.
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I was wondering about how everyone felt about PT. My surgeon just told me that he didn't think I was going to need much PT, if any. I'm not really sure how I feel about that On one hand, I really HATE PT. But on the other hand, I would like some tips on things that are probably more on the OT end like bending, alternatives to squatting since I can't squat, etc. I'm sure if I express these concerns he'll send me to a great place. He's a really great surgeon.

Debbie

Comment

PT was a lifesaver for me... my surgery left me really weakened, my arthritis complicated (still does) some things (knees and hips), I had never been a squatter and just flat couldn't do it, and the range of motion in my arms/shoulders was really compromised too. My surgeon wouldn't have prescribed PT if I hadn't brought it up, because he didn't realize I just couldn't "do" things I needed to do. When I started my first round of PT at 6 months post-op, I walked like a little old lady with tiny strides, a little hunched over (watching the ground so it wouldn't jump out at me!) and still standing somewhat crooked. My arms and legs were weak. That first round was for strengthening my arms and legs, which it certainly did. It did worlds more too. It gave me confidence again that I could do things... my therapist was great and understood we couldn't put any strain on the fusion, etc. I enjoyed my visits there and worked hard between the visits doing the "home" routine he gave me. He helped me stand straight, walk with normal length strides, and feel secure. He told me to continue (with the exercises he gave me) on my own after I was done with the PT sessions, and to see if we could do some core strengthening when/if my surgeon released me to do so at some point in time. That happened at 11 months post-op, and that next round was super. Again, he was careful not to have me ever put strain on my back-- no crunches, absolutely no bridging, etc. but there was plenty to do. Toward the end of my time there he made sure I knew the proper ways to do routine movements that are required of my job as a librarian, including pushing heavy carts around (like with a TV and not being able to see straight ahead because it's blocking your view); picking up and carrying boxes or piles; picking up, retrieving; or putting away things that are up high or down low from shelves, etc. Even getting things out of file cabinets... It's basic body movements that if not done properly can cause back problems in anyone. This was the "practical" part, and very useful. I have a great set of "exercises" that my therapist left me with that will/should keep my body doing well for life, if I do them. UNFORTUNATELY I have not kept up with them, although I really do miss them and want to get back into it. When I headed back to work a year ago, the strain of the work left me totally exhausted and I had to come home each day and crash, resting on my bed, etc.... There is no way I could have returned to my job without going through the PT. It built a lot of strength and endurance in me. I would have had to quit my job shortly after starting it again. Now I do pretty well and it's possible that could handle the PT regimen again along with the job. Maybe this will spark an attempt. I still come home and rest after school, but not like I had to last year, where I was totally wiped out and aching.

I realize not everyone needs PT, but it can be of huge benefit and very necessary for improved quality of life for some of us. I'm so grateful that I had my PT!
        Last edited by Susie*Bee; 09-05-2009, 08:16 AM.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

No PT Yet

I just saw my doctor yesterday for a 2-month post op checkup. Like several of you have mentioned, I was a bit unsure of what my limitations were. I thought a PT could tell me exactly what I should and should not be doing at this point.

At first the doc suggested I go to PT and then he asked more questions and changes his mind. He decided I was really doing just fine without PT. He talked about the importance of pulling in my abdominals to support my back, being aware of my posture when sitting and especially when walking, also gently working on stretching out and strengthening the muscles in my low back and upper back/neck area. I walk three times a day, 15-20 minutes at a time. (That's dedicated walking and not shopping or wandering around the house. ) I try to walk as normally as possible and have noticed that where I used to lean forward a lot and take little tottering steps, I can now almost take a normal length step, can swing my arms almost normally and don't lean forward as much as I used to. The doc said this is the most important thing that I can do.

Squatting has been a big problem for me. I have arthritis in both knees (bad patellas) and never used to squat. Since surgery sheer desperation (like simply needing to sit down and get up from the toilet without leaning) forced me to squat more. My knees and legs hurt almost as much as my back much of the first 5-6 weeks. Although my legs got really sore, I have noticed the muscles building up. My left leg now tolerates it much better (my right knee is just too arthritic). I still use every available hand-hold to reduce the stress on my knees (such as using the disabled toilet, grabbing chair handles to get up and down) but am happy that my legs are somewhat stronger.

Sorry this is so long. All of us are different. I had so many questions that I expected the doc to send me to PT and was surprised when he changed his mind. I've been a bit of an exercise buff for a few years and know my body pretty well, so I guess I can get along for now without a PT. A month from now, if I don't think it is working out, I will be calling my doctor for more help.

Hope this helps someone out there.
          At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
          Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
          Excellent correction

Comment

Working...
          X