No announcement yet.

Preparing for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a big fan of the satin pj bottoms and I used sateen sheets. They were very helpful when log rolling, as well as getting into and out of bed in those early weeks.

I couldn't use the foam topper. It just wasn't comfortable for me. I guess we are all different. I did purchase one and had it ready, but I ended up returning it. Better to be prepared incase it works for you. I know it helped so many people here.
    -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
    Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
    Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
    Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

I was so thirsty after surgery and didn't want to have to log roll and sit up every 5 minutes, so I drank out of baby sippy cups No shame in my game!
      .: St@ci :.
      28 years old
      Mama to two daughters
      Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
      No treatment.
      Decided on surgery 16 years later.
      Thoracic curve - 65
      Lumbar curve- 63
      Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
      Fused T2-L3
      No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
      http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm dead serious about the step stool thing. They are so dangerous.

My mother in law fell off a step stool about 5 years ago and broke her leg. They ended up installing this long rod and they did a hip replacement. She is having all sorts of problems healing, and has done multiple procedures.

All of this pain so she could reach a cob-web. Definitely not worth it.

Janet's idea about the satin sheets sounds like a great idea since moving in bed is troublesome after getting home from the hospital. They will teach you how to log roll out of bed in the hospital. I kept the walker right by my bed for support when first standing up in the morning.

I went back and looked at Linda's list and noticed "handicapped placard" When I asked for one, my surgeon told me that he wanted me to park in the back of the parking lot from now on and walk in. Boy, did I crash and burn on that one. LOL He insisted on outdoor exercise only. Probably has to do with fresh air.

The notebook and pencil is a must for logging your daily journal. Its important to track your medication intake,what you eat, bowel movements, etc. I had nurses coming out to my house every day and they would ask all sorts of questions. "Gee Ed, you look wasted, what did you take?" LOL

I had constipation issues from the meds.For some reason Colace didn't cut it after 2 weeks. My recommendation, for the just in case your guts "turn to stone" dilemma is to have a bottle of Magnesium Citrate laying around. Morphine constipation is extremely painful....................................

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          I went back and looked at Linda's list and noticed "handicapped placard" When I asked for one, my surgeon told me that he wanted me to park in the back of the parking lot from now on and walk in. Boy, did I crash and burn on that one. LOL He insisted on outdoor exercise only. Probably has to do with fresh air.
          My surgeon agreed to give me the 6 month, temporary handicap tag. He had to sign the form from my local township, and it expired after 6 months. I appreciated it in the VERY beginning, but then really didn't NEED it until it was winter, after I had started driving. If I went to the grocery store, I'd park RIGHT UP FRONT. 1) so I didn't have to push a cart too far, and 2) so I wouldn't take any chances slipping on ice. The last thing I wanted to do was fall.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I am also pre-op so have not yet "graduated" to the post-op class. However, I purchased a body pillow which is already giving me comfort. In addition to borrowing a raised toilet, shower seat, and sock putter-oner, I bought three plastic drawers for my post-op clothing. I've placed the drawers on top of my waist-high dresser so I won't need to bend to get my clothes. One drawer is for underwear and night clothes, another is for loose pants, and the third is for loose tops. Hope this helps.

Karen
            Karen, 66 years "young"
            Polio at 6
            Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
            Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
            Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
            Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
            Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Three surgeries in one week:
            8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
            8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
            9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Thanks for suggestions

Thank you all, again, for sharing all your ideas. I'm into satin now and will try the foam topper and look for the Uggs.--oh--and the ski poles.
              My pre-op appointment is Monday so I'm getting close!
              Kathy
              Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
              Thoracic curve:?
              Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
              Surgery Sept.16,2009
              Fusion T-11 to pelvis
              Dr. Frank Rand
              New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

Working...
              X