No announcement yet.

Back to Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debbei -I think you are right about the stress. As the school year gets nearer and my decision needs to be made, I've felt so much more soreness. It could be the weather or the "one step back" part of this 2 forward, 1 back recovery that I've read about. I've been especially sore and tired since I found out that I could not that I could not start out part time. It's that "all or nothing" thing that is upsetting me most. I have to remember that it's business not personal, and it's all about what's best for the school and kids, not me.

I've been considering requesting one more month off since I see the Dr at the end of Sept. I know my principal needs a pretty definate decision of when I'll be back so she can plan. So, if I say one month, I need to be ready by then. My principal also said that if I wait until Dec to come back, she can hire an certified teacher to take my place at the beginning of the year, then move her to cover a maternity leave. (Business) I was pretty upset when she suggested that because I had not even considered staying out that long. It would be eight months! I don't want, or think I need that long, but now I see that is not an unusual length of time.

I feel like right now I keep waiting day to day for the "two steps forward" to kick in and make this decision for me. I'm sure that once I decide, whatever I decide, I'll feel better.
    -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
    Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
    Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
    Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Avis- That fatigue you discribe is my biggest fear. I want to push myself, but not too far.

Twistedmama- I feel like I pushed myself and suffered for it enough before surgery, and I hate that the people I work with had to deal with, and watch that. I don't mind heating and icing when I overdo, I just don't want that to be every day. And I'm done crying! Well ...not done ... but at least that's under control for the most part. Working with kids can be so fun and rewarding, and so exhausting! You'll miss them when your summer job ends, but oh! what a relief it will be!

Jenn- Thank you for your encouragement. I'll let you know soon what I decide to do.
      -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
      Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
      Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
      Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Originally posted by Jo 71-09 View Post
        Debbei -I think you are right about the stress. As the school year gets nearer and my decision needs to be made, I've felt so much more soreness. It could be the weather or the "one step back" part of this 2 forward, 1 back recovery that I've read about. I've been especially sore and tired since I found out that I could not that I could not start out part time. It's that "all or nothing" thing that is upsetting me most. I have to remember that it's business not personal, and it's all about what's best for the school and kids, not me.

I've been considering requesting one more month off since I see the Dr at the end of Sept. I know my principal needs a pretty definate decision of when I'll be back so she can plan. So, if I say one month, I need to be ready by then. My principal also said that if I wait until Dec to come back, she can hire an certified teacher to take my place at the beginning of the year, then move her to cover a maternity leave. (Business) I was pretty upset when she suggested that because I had not even considered staying out that long. It would be eight months! I don't want, or think I need that long, but now I see that is not an unusual length of time.

I feel like right now I keep waiting day to day for the "two steps forward" to kick in and make this decision for me. I'm sure that once I decide, whatever I decide, I'll feel better.
        8 months isn't as long as you think. You've got a long fusion, and we're about the same age. If I were you (and didn't have to worry about the financial aspect of it), I think I'd take the principal up on that offer. I was definitely ready to go back at 8 months, although, it did totally exhaust me for the first month or so. I think I'm still getting used to it. And of course I still have those ups and downs. I can't wait till it's 'mostly ups'.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decide.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
        X