Random Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Valley Girl

I'm back again. Thanks for keeping Sandy and me in your thoughts. I plan to stay in touch before my 8/24 surgery and as soon as I can after surgery.

Karen
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

pain management

mgs.

Definitely talk with your surgeon about your high tollerance to pain meds. As I said I have a high tollerance to pain meds yet for me I was only taken Tramadol and valium prior to surgery. I stayed away from anything stronger than that.

Post op in the hospital though they tried skimping on meds and after an episode of fitting me in my brace, sending me for a CAT scan and xrays I was in so much pain that my E2 coreman in the navy, yelled at a commanding officer to hurry up with my x-rays because I couldn't take it anymore. I was close to passing out I was in so much pain.

By the time they brought me back up to my room I was hyperventilating and crying because I was in so much pain. My husband also had to yell at the residents and told them he would only speak with my surgeon regarding my pain management. They finally brought in the morphine which was wonderful yet I was allergic to.

I tell you this not to scare you but to make you realize that no one should get to this point ever! They finally understood I wasn't kidding about being in pain. They all acted like I had one herniated disc operated on. After that incident I didn't have any other problems.

One thing with the military facility that I was in they really work hard to prevent infections so they took out my cathetor and pulled my pca pump on day 2. Pulling my PCA pump early played a big part in the incident during my cat scan and xrays. They should have had me drugged up a little bit more than I was that morning!

I spoke with my Dr. briefly about it prior to surgery but it clearly got lost in translation along the line somewhere because when my husband spoke with him he was clearly upset with all his residents and nurses. Once it was brought to his attention all went much better!

Make sure you are firm with what your needs are. You know your body better than anyone else! Go in ready not to take any bs from anyone and you'll be a happier patient lol!
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lumbar3491 View Post
        Hi Valley Girl

Sometimes when numbness spreads down to my left knee (the only side where I have any issues), I feel as if that leg is going to give way. It doesn't happen every time I have numbness but enough to know they are connected. I'm very cautious about walking these days, especially down stairs because I don't trust that knee. Recently I had a wrought iron railing installed on the stairs in front of my house. Helps greatly. So, it sounds as if we have the same issue.

Karen

Yep it does sound like what I'm feeling except, lucky me, I feel it more frequently. I find myself holding on to anything and everything when I walk around. I'll be very curious to see and I'm hopeful for you and I both that the surgery will rid us of this problem.

Take care!
        ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
        Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
        Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
        Now curve is T38*, L53*
        Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Working...
        X