No announcement yet.

Steel or Titanium... Cold??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This past winter was my first experience with cold weather since my fusion. It's very likely the hardware itself wasn't getting cold. I was having issues maintaining my normal body temp anyway, going from burning hot to freezing instantly, so it was probably that. When you add the shivering factor making my back hurt it's probably just the sensation the hardware is cold. Either way, I don't like shivering!
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

Originally posted by skoshi314 View Post
      I have 14 titanium screws and 2 rods. This last winter was my first experience with the hardware in the cold. It may have been my imagination but it seemed that I was cold allllll winter and once I would get cold it took forever to warm up. Shivering was rather painful so I did everything I could to not get extremely cold. Like I said, it could have been my imagination but that was my experience.

Good luck!
      OMG I had not even thought about the hardware making you cold. I am having my surgery on November 11. Just before we start getting cold around here.
      Diagnosed @ at of 11
      Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
      Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
      (was told would never get worse)
      Surgery November 11, 2009
      Fused T6-T12
      Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
      Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

I live in Wisconsin. . .there are weeks in the winter where the "high" is a little above zero. I thought I was cold before. . .I guess I'm going to find out what "cold" REALLY means!!
        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
        Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
        Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
          If you go to the Caribbean or Hawaii you have to take all of us along!

Mary Lou
          Lets go, we'll have a big party! Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
            Sally,

that's why I love my remote car starter and seat warmers!! Even before surgery, I always said if my butt is warm, all of me is warm.
            If I can't go to the Caribbean or Hawaii, I want one of those remote car starters. We have the seat warmers which are great if the seat is warmed up first. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

The rods are right under the skin between the skin and bone. It does get colder than your core body temp, just like your fingers and toes. I did have trouble during the winter, but this summer I have had a really weird sensation. Where I work they keep it really cold, I keep a blanket for really cold days. The outside temp has been over 100 the last week or so; when I first walk out side it takes a minute or so for the metal to adjust so it is like a brief thawing. Not painful, just a kindof creepy feeling.
              ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
              pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
              post-surg 22* Thoracic.
              Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Originally posted by emwonderfull View Post
                The rods are right under the skin between the skin and bone. It does get colder than your core body temp, just like your fingers and toes. I did have trouble during the winter, but this summer I have had a really weird sensation. Where I work they keep it really cold, I keep a blanket for really cold days. The outside temp has been over 100 the last week or so; when I first walk out side it takes a minute or so for the metal to adjust so it is like a brief thawing. Not painful, just a kindof creepy feeling.
                Actually, there are layers of muscle and fat.

I have stainless steel rods, and as far as I can tell, they've never gotten cold.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have steel too... and perhaps it is just my imagination, but it does seem like I get a little colder than I did before... it's more of a tightness/discomfort feeling when it's really cold, through my back. Linda-- are you basing your opinion on bay area temps? Here in Indiana I have recess duty every school day and during the winter, unless the temps are below 15º, we go out... even bundled up pretty well most of us adults wouldn't opt for 30 minutes outside. I feel it the most through my back/spine area and it takes a good hour or so to "thaw" after coming back inside. It's not terrible-- just a little uncomfortable.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                    I have steel too... and perhaps it is just my imagination, but it does seem like I get a little colder than I did before... it's more of a tightness/discomfort feeling when it's really cold, through my back. Linda-- are you basing your opinion on bay area temps? Here in Indiana I have recess duty every school day and during the winter, unless the temps are below 15º, we go out... even bundled up pretty well most of us adults wouldn't opt for 30 minutes outside. I feel it the most through my back/spine area and it takes a good hour or so to "thaw" after coming back inside. It's not terrible-- just a little uncomfortable.
                    Wow Susie, I really feel for you. No way would I want to stand outside for 30 minutes at 16 degrees, even prior to surgery, YIKES! What a difference between our schools. Here, my daughter's school doesn't go out if it's less that 28 degrees.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

28º sounds nice and balmy... ha ha. Or at least nicer... I think most of the schools around here do similar-- something about letting the kids get out in the fresh air, etc. Our recess temp is decided by the principal and having worked under 4 different ones, it has been either 15º or 20º as the cut off. Windchill is taken into account, thankfully.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        How did he determine the plate froze?

Isn't the real explanation likely to be his brain incorrectly interpreting the feelings in his leg as cold sensation? Brain science is in its infancy but we do know these types of things occur.

It is not possible for the plate to be other than body temperature. If anyone has any evidence showing this is not true then I'd like to see it.
                        Pooka1... Whether the cold sensation is physical or psychological, it is REAL. It is unfair of you to judge another person's experience.

There ARE many studies about amputee's having "phantom pain." And while their nerves are no longer there, the pain is still perceived as real.

If you have not walked in those shoes, please don't speak in a condescending way to those who have.
                        Living life after a Milwaukee...
                        And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

I have titanium and have gone in the pool a few times this summer. The pool is not as warm as past summers and it's hard for me to stay in long and it does take a while for me to warm up. It will be interesting to see how the winter goes. My boys place hockey.....lots of hockey. So most of my spare time is spent in an ice cold rink! Maybe I wll try those heat wraps and see if that helps. But I alwyas bundle up well and bring blankets! Keep you posted:O)
                          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Steel rods cause distortion on MRIs. Titanium does not. Go with titanium!!
                            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I have steel and I'm freezing! I always wear a fleece or hooded sweatshirt. My husband was gone a couple days and I basked in 80 degrees with no air and felt wonderful. He thinks I'm crazy! Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by thinkinmom View Post
                                Pooka1... Whether the cold sensation is physical or psychological, it is REAL.
                                ???

I never said nor implied it wasn't real.

I was pointing out the much more likely explanation given what is known about brain science and what is known about material science and physiology. I acknowledged he perceived a cold sensation.

It's all brain science. The rest is commentary.
                                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X