No announcement yet.

12-Week Appt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I've been very confused about the bending issue. My surgeon gave me no instructions at all. I have been bending, but obviously not at the waist, which is impossible, but from the hips. I can't see how you can go through life without bending! If my partner came home after a day of no bending, he'd spend the first half hour picking up things for me and I would have got nothing done all day! So, yes, I've been bending, from about 4 weeks, but I do it very carefully, no lunging down like I might have once.

I have no pain so my body isn't warning me not to do this, so I just hope it's been ok.

At my first appt. with the surgeon, I was far too dopey to think of any questions to ask.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Caved in, rib hump

Doodles, I hope you are continuing to improve. Your curve sounds a lot like mine. I have 90 degrees with a large rib hump and a concave left side. Dr. Boachie wants to do posterior only surgery and not go for a "home run," as he put it, so I'm gratified to hear that you got such a good correction that way. But I do want the cosmetic improvement. I'll speak to him more about it during our appointment in January.

Has your rib hump improved since your last post?

Joy

Comment

Afraid that is the same. In fact, it's probably more obvious to me due to the swelling going down. I actually saw another local doctor for my 6 month and he said that and my tilt to the left were inevitable due to the degree of my curves and the deformity. He was also pretty amazed what Dr. Lenke had done. He knew him and said for my kind of scoliosis Lenke is the best in the world. So...it's not perfect but so much better and as good as it could be. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

My fusion was not as complex as most of yours. At 6 weeks I just started very minimal PT. It has been nice because, as much as I love my surgeon, I have received more info from my PT! I do little pelvic tilts, practice walking (I have trouble realxing my right arm since my incision is on that side). She helps me stretch my legs and hips, which feels great! Soon she is going to massage my incision (which sounds horrible to me now!). Over all, it gets me out of the house and I usually feel good afterward.
          Kathy, 43
          Diagnosed as a teen
          Boston brace 2 years
          63 degree lumbar curve
          Surgery August 26, 2009
          Anterior approach fused T12-L4
          now 28 degrees

Comment

Hey Doodles: I'd gladly take that...versus all this pain I'm having. Still waiting on this July surgery date. Gosh, my evenings are consumed of being on the heat pad and taking Ibuprofen......I don't like those pain killers........
            Rita Thompson
            Age 46
            Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
            Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
            Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
            Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Working...
            X