New to site, surgery coming up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Luck Debbie...er ...Bionic Woman

You did the exact right thing in getting several opinions before committing to surgery.
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I am 49 also, and nope we are not old, now that we are here. Just in a new phase......
    As far as the picking things up issue, I am fused to the sacrum, and I can bend over. I am definitely not a gymnast , but if I drop something, I just reach down and get it. I agree with Sally though, going down on one knee rather than squatting, is what my PT taught me to do in the early months. Easier on the knees.
    Welcome!!

Kristy
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic Woman View Post
      I'm extremely blessed that I do trust my surgeon and have heard great things about him. I work at a plasma donation center and our center medical director knows my surgeon and actually used his practice (different surgeon) for an elbow surgery. Also, the last surgeon I saw (I got 4 separate opinions) actually trained under my surgeon and said that he was capable and willing to do my surgery, but if I was looking for experience and success rates, to go back to my other surgeon. I really thought that was quite an ethical thing to do. I don't know of many other surgeons that would refer you back to someone else! I also know that God is in control and He is a bigger surgeon that will be guiding my surgeon's hands. Can't do anything other than come out perfectly!! Yes the waiting is hard. I just want it to be over and start my healing process!! Thanks to all for the responses, it really does help to talk to others in the same boat!
      Debbie
      Welcome Debbie,

I hear you about wanting an experienced surgeon. I didn't want any beginner responsible for my surgery. Grabbers are the best. I have 2 in the house and I want to order one more for work.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes. I really appreciate it. Well, 1 more week and it's surgery time! I have VERY mixed feelings, of course and I'm very sure all of you know what I'm talking about. I can't wait to just get it done and start healing to get out of the horrible pain I'm in now, yet not really looking forward to surgery. I'm sure once it's all over and I'm healed up, I'll be glad I did it. Can't wait to be able to take a walk and actually enjoy it again!

Deb

Comment

Hi Deb,

I know the feelings you are going through right now, a week away from surgery. This forum has helped me tremendously and everyone is so right about finally having the surgery and being on the road to recovery. I'm in pain right now, but the pain is from the surgery and I know this will get better everyday. The pain from sciatica that I was having prior to surgery is amazingly gone, so I know there is a light at the end of this tunnel if I am just patient and do everything the surgeon ordered.

Good luck to you and I hope this week flies by for you!
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

You're going through the hardest time now. Soon you'll wake up and know it's over and it's just a matter of time before you're well again. Spoil yourself a little this week, you deserve it!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thinking of you

dear deb
              am very glad you are confident in your dr...i still have some to consult with, tho i trust dr baron lonner in nyc, know him 5 yrs now...have no family besides my husband to help me...& my puppy, of course, who keeps me company all the time when i cant get out of bed!

i wish you the best care & healing, & peace of mind...lots of of us are rooting for you, & you are in lots of peoples' prayers!

take good care of you
              jess(jrnyc)

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! Jennifer, I do believe I will take your advice on the spoiling thing! I do have many, many people praying for me. I have a wonderful Church Family and Pastor (my son's Father-in-law!) so as I said before, I have the Great Physician that will be guiding my surgeons hands. Can't do anything but go perfectly! I will be sure to post a message as soon as I get home so that everyone will know how I'm doing. I'm sure it will be a very short "hi, I'm home, doing fine, hurts to sit too long, talk to ya later" post! Thanks again everyone,
                Debbie (Bionic Woman)

Comment

I agree with what everyone has said. A last few days of pampering sounds good too. Lots of thoughts and prayers will accompany you on surgery day. I asked people to think of surrounding me in a pink blanket of peace and love. (It was from the Peggi Huddleston book.) I guess it worked. Besto of luck to you. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                  X