Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debbei View Post
    Villager here---holding her hand up!
    Yep. You were one I was thinking of when I wrote that. You don't fit the paradigm nor does the OP.

Of course people who do fit the paradigm aren't posting here. Still I want to see the data upon which the surgeons make these predictions of progression risk.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

You didn't waste time, you BOUGHT time. The surgeries now are so much better than they were when you were a teenager.
      That's an excellent point.

But with the state of fusion surgery now, time is running out when we can justify buying time with a brace in my opinion, especially if the surgery is pushed out of adolescence and possibly involves less vertebrae compared to surgery as an adult and possibly involving more vertebrae just for having delayed.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

You didn't waste time, you BOUGHT time. The surgeries now are so much better than they were when you were a teenager.
        Debbei,

Yes, I think you are correct. I should look at it from this point of view instead of seeing the bracing as just a waste of time - I am going to work on my outlook! I guess part of the issue is just feeling like I could have already been done with this ordeal years ago, but I was not taking into account the surgical improvements that have been made.

--Steph
        --Steph

Anterior surgery 9/23/09
        Fused T10 - L3

Comment

Originally posted by sed78 View Post
          Debbei,

Yes, I think you are correct. I should look at it from this point of view instead of seeing the bracing as just a waste of time - I am going to work on my outlook! I guess part of the issue is just feeling like I could have already been done with this ordeal years ago, but I was not taking into account the surgical improvements that have been made.

--Steph
          Steph,

this outlook is the only way that I can justify all those horrible years I spent in my milwalkee brace. In my era, it would have been the Harrington Rod surgery, and I'm so thankful that my parents decided (against doctor's advice) to try the brace instead of jumping righ to surgery. I recently thanked my mother for making that decision because now, 8 months after surgery, at 47 yrs old (YIKES) I feel fantastic.

Good luck with your surgery, and keep asking questions here. It helped me so much during the months of waiting.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by sed78 View Post
            Hi everyone,

I went back to my surgeon for a consultation about my surgery which has been 'penciled in' for September 23rd. It will be done by Dr. Hurford of the Carle Spine Institute in IL. I was able to get most of my questions answered - thanks to this message board I was much more prepared during the appointment than I had been before.

One thing that I have a question about: I asked him about what types of pre-op procedures I would need to have done ahead of time. I was thinking along the lines of MRI/EKG/blood donation/etc. from reading what others have had done. But he said that I would not need any of these things! Only a bunch of bending films about 2 weeks out from the surgery.

Now I am wondering if this is par for the course, so to speak - what types of procedures did everyone else have done?

Also, I got more specific info on my curve. It is a thoracolumbar curve that measures ~52* with a thoracic compensatory curve. The surgeon is planning a completely anterior surgery, with the fusion being from T10 - L3. I think that is pretty short fusion compared to what many of you have been through. I guess the idea is by just fusing the lower, structural curve the top one will go away on its own?? How do we know this is what will happen?

Thanks for any info you have!
            --Steph

About Me:
            Dx with soliosis at the age of 12, 34* thoracolumbar curve
            Wore Charleston nighttime brace for 5 years
            At age 18 told my curve would not progress
            Now age 31 with 50* curvature and intermittent pain
            Surgery scheduled for Sept. 2009
            Hi Steph,

My surgeon, who I will defend as a good one, didn't order any tests for me. Not even blood tests. My xrays were taken 9 months prior to surgery at my one and only appointment. He also discouraged blood donation. I saw him in June then I saw him in theatre, the following March.

However, he took xrays in theatre, prior, during and after surgery. I did require a blood transfusion, but he uses the blood bank which he assured me are safe.

So surgeons seem to differ quite a lot in their approach to surgery.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X