No announcement yet.

Feeling Sick AGAIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree w/Debbe....it is really important to get off of them slowly. While my surgeon may have seemed like a BIG OLE JERK for weaning me off early...as in 5 weeks/6 weeks...I now know and understand why. I did what they asked and lowered the amount I took at that time, one drug at a time. The nurse said if you are going to wean yourself off, do it one drug at a time. It seemed to work. Dont get me wrong...I still take a relaxer as needed at night to help me sleep..but thru out the day Im mainly just taking Tylonol Xtra strength. Im hoping I can continue down this path, but Im also aware that things could change. I wouldnt worry about your daughter. Youve been thru this before and know what do to. Kids snap back quicker that adults, like Debbe said, and wont need as much medication for as long as us older folk! ha ha ha! We arent old Debbe....we're just older than her daughter! lol You know what to watch for and you have the support of this forum as well. Things will be fine.
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

It was my slow release oxycontin I was dependent on. I'd cut out all my quick release weeks earlier. So I got my GP to prescribe smaller and smaller doses i.e. 20mg - 15mg - 10mg - 5mg. But still I suffered the withdrawals. Maybe I should have done it more slowly than I did, but in the absence of instructions, I thought I was being sensible.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I know that I could not have participated in the physical therapy and walking that I had to do in order to recover, had I not taken Oxycontin for several months. I withdrew from the stuff as gradually as I could. After I took my last pill, I braced myself for a rough ride but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be -- I just felt weird and uncomfortable, with no appetite and insomnia, for about three days.

I hope I never have to take Oxycontin again but I can't imagine going through that first year post-op again without it.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
        X