• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Simone

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8835
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sorry I posted in the wrong area! Good luck tommorw Sarah!!! I know everything will go well with your surgery. The real work begins when you get home. Wishing you a great surgery and speedy recovery.

Best,
      Simone

Comment

Hi everyone. I made it through and I'm in icu right now. Everything is going well for now except that my pain button was not hooked up yet when I woke up but that's taken care of. I will post again later but typing on my iPhone is really hard when I'm this out of it. Hopefully everything will continue to go well
        Sarah
        22 year old grad student
        Boston brace from 12-14
        surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
        Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
        Thoracic curve 47*
        Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
        http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

Originally posted by sarah105 View Post
          Hi everyone. I made it through and I'm in icu right now. Everything is going well for now except that my pain button was not hooked up yet when I woke up but that's taken care of. I will post again later but typing on my iPhone is really hard when I'm this out of it. Hopefully everything will continue to go well
          That's great that you are though, Sarah! Glad they fixed the pain med device.

Cool that you checked in with the group from the ICU!

Onward and upward!
          Last edited by Pooka1; 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Good God you are a vivatious woman...posting from the hospital the same day!!??!?! Thats got to be a record!! That can only mean you are doing wonderfully and highly medicated! l I hope you continue to recover at a speedy pace! Take it easy....post when you get home....trust me! lol

Lynn
            Last edited by LynnMarie74; 06-01-2009, 04:38 PM. Reason: i cant type
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Wow! I'm impressed! Posting from ICU! Thats gotta be a record or something.

I'm glad you made it through fine and are feeling great, but relax a little and take Lynn's advice.
              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
              Still have 57 degree curve
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
              Preop xray (with brace on)
              Postop xray

Comment

I have to agree with S4Sarah

Your post brought back something I'd forgotten. The "sheets" and "blankets", (terms describing hospital linen, I use loosely), were hard, rough cotton, which actually wore the skin off my elbows. I'd forgotten that. My partner brought in a quilt and a foam topper, both made my life easier in hospital. I was also directly under the a/c vent. All my visitors complained of the cold. I've always said, hospitals aren't good places for sick people.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yes, same here.

In China, they have performed open heart surgery with acupuncture and no anesthesia. I guess they do that just in case the patient wants a cigarette.

Thats a joke.

Slow and easy now.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Don't worry, I've been relaxing. I have just been playing games on my iPhone every once in a while so I figured I would check in on my phone since I was on it anyway. Otherwise I've just been sleeping and watching animal planet!
                    Sarah
                    22 year old grad student
                    Boston brace from 12-14
                    Thoracic curve 47*
                    Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos

Comment

So glad that your surgery went well, and impressed that you are not totally out of it I told my daughter that she won't need her laptop and itouch for the first few days after her surgery, I may have to rethink that.

Glad they got your meds fixed, that is one thing I am worried about - pain control.

I hope you continue to do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
                        Wow! I'm impressed! Posting from ICU! Thats gotta be a record or something.

I'm glad you made it through fine and are feeling great, but relax a little and take Lynn's advice.

LMAO, Brad ... I was never in ICU after surgery - just PACU for maybe 30minutes. I didn't have an iPhone or my laptop (that came on Day 2), but I was calling people here to update them, and most were screaming at me, "WHAT are you doing on the phone??? You just had SURRRRRGERY!" ... and they'd say "REST!", and hang up. I was REALLY irritated no one would talk to me; I was SO bored.

Keep up the good work, Sarah!
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                          LMAO, Brad ... I was never in ICU after surgery - just PACU for maybe 30minutes. I didn't have an iPhone or my laptop (that came on Day 2), but I was calling people here to update them, and most were screaming at me, "WHAT are you doing on the phone??? You just had SURRRRRGERY!" ... and they'd say "REST!", and hang up. I was REALLY irritated no one would talk to me; I was SO bored.
                          LOL

I had my mother to keep me company and I had people dropping in from time to time. But my surgery was before computers really hit the home, so no emails or texting to anyone. I think we were still using a rotory phone at home too.

I really don't remember much of ICU other than I know I was in there for a total of 5 days (combining both surgeries) I was on a respirator and doped up pretty high. I remember being fed chopped ice and writing on a clipboard for things I needed. (the respirator made it so I could not talk) Overall though I think I slept for the vast majority of the time in ICU.

Keep up the good work, Sarah!
                          I'll add this too! Again. (You can never had too many good wishes flowing your way)
                          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                          Still have 57 degree curve
                          2 Harrington rods
                          Luque method used
                          Dr David Bradford
                          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                          Preop xray (with brace on)
                          Postop xray

Comment

Hi everyone, I just thought I would check in again. I was in icu until yesterday around noon. There wasn't a problem but my doctor just always starts his patients there so they get watched a little more. Pt came while I was in icu and I was able to sit upon the edge of my bed for about 20 minutes. I did not get moved to pediatrics as expected because they were over full. Fortunately my nurses have been great and I was given a single room to make sure my family could stay. I have been having some pain control problems since leaving icu. I am still only on the morphine button but I am having muscle spasms. I was told that Valium could be used to help this but the doctors were concerned about using it because I have been very drowwsy and they are worried about my lung funtion. I think things are improving because the residents who stopped by this morning said they hoped to get me on the Valium soon. I really hope so because I'm still in quite a bit of pain!
                            Sarah
                            22 year old grad student
                            Boston brace from 12-14
                            Thoracic curve 47*
                            Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos

Comment

Hi again. I had my surgery on Monday and I feel like things are going pretty well. I was on iv morphine with valium as needed until this morning. Today I got off the clear liquids diet and have been allowed to eat whatever I want (which hasn't been much). For meds I got switched to oral Tylenol 3 and can have morphine injections in between if I need it. I had some issues with nausea when I switched to oral meds because I wasn't really eating. It started to get better when I was able to eat some crackers. PT came today and I started walking. I got up and walked a lap around the unit 4 times today. I like the walking but getting up and down is pretty annoying. Overall I would say I'm doing pretty well although I defineitly have my ups and downs because the pain still gets bad every once in a while and I have the occasional problem with nausea. I'm kind of nervous to go home (although it probably won't be tip Sunday) because I have a pretty nice routine here and I am finally figuring out how to get comfy in this hospital bed! Anyway, I hope everyone else is doing well and I'll get on again as soon as I can.
                              Sarah
                              22 year old grad student
                              Boston brace from 12-14
                              Thoracic curve 47*
                              Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos

Comment

Thanks for the update. I hope your transition to home will be a smooth one.

Comment

Working...
                                X