Scoliosis in the news - Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Channel 5 Rhonda Mann's Scoliosis Story

I was glad to see a scoliosis story about an adult, but disappointed that they repeated the myth that scoliosis causes the lungs and other internal organs to be crushed. I don't believe I've ever seen or read evidence of that.

I wonder why the story made no mention of the National Scoliosis Foundation with its office just outside of Boston. There was no mention of the huge cost of this surgery. There was no mention of any of the new developments that are alternatives to surgery such as the Spinecor brace, the SOSORT worldwide group, yoga for scoliosis or the Schroth exercise methods.

Linda B.
    Age 61, diagnosed at 13. Curves over 60 degrees. No surgery!

Comment

Originally posted by Linda B View Post
      I was glad to see a scoliosis story about an adult, but disappointed that they repeated the myth that scoliosis causes the lungs and other internal organs to be crushed. I don't believe I've ever seen or read evidence of that.
      Well each case of scoliosis is different but my scoliosis certainly impinged on my breathing. One of the reasons my doctors told my parents I needed the surgery was because I would die in my early 20s from suffocation, in that my lungs just simply would not have enough room to inflate properly.

The last year before my surgery I definately noticed reduced breathing. They started doing breathing tests a little over a year before my surgery as well.

So I definately think scoliosis can effect breathing, but I don't think its overly common.

Brad
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

There was no mention of the huge cost of this surgery.
        Just curious... do you also complain about the huge cost of organ transplantation, bypass surgery, brain surgery, etc.?

I'm trying to find some, any, logic in this statement. What is your point of bringing up the cost of the surgery to treat scoliosis?

Also, are you against all modern improvements or just surgical ones? Are you a Luddite (one who eschews modern technology)?
        Last edited by Pooka1; 05-04-2009, 06:21 AM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Its not a myth. In fact its quite plain to see that the ribcage will pull down on the organs and there is no debate or proof required with this. There are computerized breathing machines that will measure pulmonary restriction.

If you are in your 60s with 50 degree and higher curves you need to be vigilant to curve progression. Curves can progress very quickly and unless one x-rays often, they are not going to know until an impingement happens.

As long as there is no pain, and collapse, its fine to brace. but you are using up your surgical window and this needs careful consideration. In fact, the progression rates for NON scoliotics at age 60 and above are alarming. A new tern "senior scoliosis" needs to be used.

All of the alternative methods are fine, till there's a problem. All scoliotics with 50 degree curves NEED to be aware of surgical intervention. Its important. Being misled or blind to this fact is naive.

Some of us have walked that road.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Some myths and errors in logic

1. The expense of surgery has no bearing whatsoever on the necessity of it.

2. Alternative treatments to surgery don't automatically become effective just because a person won't consider surgery. That is, fear of surgery doesn't magically mean there are other alternatives.

3. Medical sequelae like decreased lung function from high-angle scoliosis don't magically become myths just because a person is afraid of surgery.

4. Wishful thinking is best left to children.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

MYTH that scoliosis does not cause the lungs or other internal organs to be crushed?
              I will explain how it did all that and more to me, if you want me to, exactly the same as many others.
              I am pleased the you have not suffered any of this, but have come to the conclusion that with curves over 60 you are very fortunate.

Macky
              Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
              Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Rhonda Mann's Surgery by Dr. Glazer

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the group. I had the same surgery performed on me On October 10 and October 11, 2005 by Dr. Glazer (same doctor). I am pain free from that surgery. It isn't for everyone but it did work and she is right, the recuperation is something else. You do get there and 4 months later I returned to work. However, L4-L5 were left alone and now I have ruptured discs and in severe pain. On June 1st Dr. Glazer will repair the 2 levels with a laminectomy and a diskectomy. I expect to be laid up for at least 6 weeks.

I am 56 and can't wait to get all of this behind me. Laura

Comment

I have seen evidence of this and I experienced it myself. A few years ago when I first began looking at surgery, a friend of mine showed me a picture of herself taken with a woman at a 50th high school reunion. This woman was in a wheelchair and she required oxygen because her twisted spine was squeezing her heart and lungs. When my friend told her about my surgery indecisiveness, she told her to tell me to just do it; don’t wait any longer. She unfortunately waited until she reached the point of becoming too high risk for surgery. I have gotten relief from intestinal compression following my surgery. I had a very big curve in my lumbar spine that was squeezing my abdominal organs. I no longer experience the intestinal problems I lived with the past few years.

To Laura:

Thanks for your post, Laura. You’ve also addressed questions raised in another thread about how low to extend the fusion the first time around. Good luck to you with your upcoming surgery.

Comment

Just wanted to address a couple of the ideas people have made in this thread:

- I am also an example of scoliosis being able to affect your lungs. They did tests on my lungs before my surgery and I was definitely losing lung capacity. I could even feel that I was getting winded more easily and I was only 14 at the time.

- I really feel more warnings should be given about taking care of the discs below your fusion if you're fused into the lumbar region. I have now herniated (ruptured) my L5/S1 a couple of times and I know the first time was because I had never been told how important it would be to work on my core strength to preserve the remaining discs. Now that I do work on my core strength, I feel much better. I have a few discs below my fusion, so can only imagine how much strain is put on those with only one or two discs left unfused.
                    - 39 years old
                    - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
                    - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
                    - Harrington rod
                    - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
                    - New mommy as of February 2011
                    - Second child - September 2013
                    - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

<snip> There was no mention of the huge cost of this surgery. There was no mention of any of the new developments that are alternatives to surgery such as the Spinecor brace, the SOSORT worldwide group, yoga for scoliosis or the Schroth exercise methods.
                      Linda B, if you think scoliosis surgery is expensive, you should check out the price tag on cardiac surgery. So maybe all those cardiac patients should try yoga or something. Surely there must be an alternative to surgery?
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                        Linda B, if you think scoliosis surgery is expensive, you should check out the price tag on cardiac surgery. So maybe all those cardiac patients should try yoga or something. Surely there must be an alternative to surgery?
                        There is no logic to Linda B's comments. It's just an example of the noises people make when they are afraid of surgery. If telling herself counterfactual statements helps her then I say so what? We don't need laws against ignorance (except in public schools).
                        Last edited by Pooka1; 05-09-2009, 10:06 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          There is no logic to Linda B's comments. It's just an example of the noises people make when they are afraid of surgery. If telling herself counterfactual statements helps her than I say so what? We don't need laws against ignorance (except in public schools).
                          Regarding the cost of this surgery: Yes there are more expensive operations, but for some folks with poor insurance or no insurance at all, the cost of scoliosis certainly can be an issue. Surgery might be postponed so long that the 'effective surgical window' has passed, or never have the surgery at all ending up in terrible pain with loss of quality of life. In my case, we decided I should have the surgery before out wonderful cobra insurance ended last month. If I were to have the surgery with our current insurance, the out of pocket costs would have been much higher. With no insurance at all---I shudder. We would have had to cash in all our retirement savings.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbei and Sharon,

I agree with both of your comments about the price of surgery. As an aside it also shows how poorly our current health care system works, with millions of uninsured who have minimal access to medical care.

And I also agree that Linda is entitled to her opinions about surgery and treatment options. But I find it an extremely cheap shot on her part to point to the price of surgery and suggest it is unnecessary or unwarranted.

Just my two cents.

Gayle
                            Gayle, age 50
                            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

This thread has been the most enlightening chat to date since I discovered this forum! It has affirmed my resolve to have this surgery done in June, don't get me wrong though, I'm so nervous to do this, but it is for just about all the reasons mentioned in this thread. As far as the lungs are concerned (not one of my issues) who in this forum can say that this is not an issue for others, unless you are an accomplished expert in this field? Usually I try to dismiss comments that make no sense and chalk them up to just opinions, but sometimes it's like when someone who is not familiar with scoliosis tells you, you are crazy to have this surgery! I actually was told by my regular MD that I was out of my mind to even consider having this surgery done. Though when I told him that I had gotten another opinion that also told me that I would need correction, this MD actually told me I was screwed!

Sorry I am really beat from pain all day, I'm kind of going on and on, but as I said this thread was great -- anyway thanks for the heads up on the women from Boston's televised surgery, I also gained a bit of strength from her experience!
                              Dolores A
                              June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                              June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                              Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                              NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Yes. Lung and cardiac problems are a reality for some of us with severe scoliosis. I really wish that the current surgical instrumentation techniques were available when I was an adolescent as I had spinal fusion without instrumentation in 1961. My thoracic curve is 97 degrees with lung volume 31 per cent. I have severe restriction of my lungs (they are squashed) and get short of breath. My life will be shortened because of this. I have severe sleep apnea at night and use a Bi-pap. So, these issues are not a myth. I was a straight, active kid until age 10 when scoliosis was first noticed and it progressed rapidly in adolescence. Recently had lumbar curve reduced to 47 degrees from 70, but surgeon unable to correct thoracic curve due to spinal cord issues noticed on monitoring. At least now my rib cage is up off my pelvis and I feel that I can now take a deeper breadth. I'm now monitored by both a pulmonologist and cardiologist. I have been told that pulmonary hypertension and cor pulmonale (heart failure) are in my future. However, I am grateful for any correction that I have gotten, and it may delay the onset of the above problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X