Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anne, how are you doing?

Chris,

I've been on the Lyrica for I think about 3 months now, after being on Valium for nearly 2 months since day 5 or 6 (?) post-op. After my 1st & 2nd fusions, I only had the stings / pinches / itches. But this time, I've had very bad nerve pains in my upper legs (only to the knee because I have no sensation below there, non-scoli related). These have been severe stabbing pains, like someone has gotten a hot knife & is racing it down the side of my leg; gripping pains like my leg is in a vice, then like my muscles are being ripped out; & low-level but constant electric shocks & shooting pains running hip to knee. I can't tell you what Lyrica has done for me. As the Valium was losing effectiveness (because I was becoming tolerant to it), I was getting little sleep, was writhing around much of the day/night, & so on. It's taken a while to get the Lyrica at a dosage that's controlling them quite well, but the side effects, mostly sleepiness & dizziness, have been well worth it (I'm on a horse-dose apparently - 100mg morning + 150mg night, for 30kg body weight).

It just amazes me the spectrum of problems nerve damage can cause! I can definitely relate to the itchiness in numb spots, as I still have that left over from my first fusion back in 1999. Though, when I think of it, I do believe the Lyrica is helping that, too...heh..I'd been so focussed on getting rid of the nerve pain, I hadn't realised I've not hacked/scratched/scraped at my back with scissors for a good few weeks now I think!! Cool...

I know this is hardly the thread for it, but since a few of you have mentioned it, what is sciatic pain like? I wonder if it could explain recent recurrence of shooting pain from my left pelvis down the inner left leg? Probably not lol..but I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
      Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly does nerve pain feel like following this surgery? Is this more common with anterior surgeries? I was never prescribed nerve pain meds following my surgery. To my knowledge, I don’t believe I’ve experienced nerve pain or muscle spasms.

Anne, other than drug-related issues you’re having, how else are you doing? Overall, are you pleased with the results of your surgery? I’ve been wondering how you’re doing since I think we’re around the same age.

Chris,
      It's good to hear from you. This thread is the first time I've posted since leaving the hospital after the surgery. I guess mainly because I'm not yet sure of the outcome.

On the positive side, my curve went from 84 to 40 or less (2 x-rays, different measurements); my rib hump is barely noticeable now; I gained nearly an inch in height; my pelvis is even; I have a waistline now; and my middle looks longer and leaner....all of which are wonderful!!!

On the negative side, I have weakness in my right leg, so that my gait isn't normal. Dr. Boachie says it's probably caused by a nerve that was stretched during surgery, and, if so, it should eventually return to normal. I've talked to him by phone and am sending 3-month x-rays to him next week, but I won't actually see him until July, which will be my 6-month check-up. He says if there's a problem then, he'll do tests to see if there's nerve damage. I have a good physical therapist who says my right hip abductor muscles are weak, and he's working hard with me to strengthen them, so I'm hopeful that this will clear up.

Anne

Comment

Anne, I also had significant weakness in my right leg with an abnormal gait. I was terrified because it improved so slowly, but now I walk completely normally. The leg is still probably still slightly weaker than the left but I don't have to think about it anymore.

Feel free to PM me about this....
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I have not taken any meds for nerve pain, but i did have the anxiety & depression problems that began at around 3 months post-op. I did not have any swelling of my legs, feet or lips.... that must be in connection with the Lyrica, but not sure the anxiety is. Sorry i couldn't be more helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
            Anne, I also had significant weakness in my right leg with an abnormal gait. I was terrified because it improved so slowly, but now I walk completely normally. The leg is still probably still slightly weaker than the left but I don't have to think about it anymore.

Feel free to PM me about this....

Chris,

You have no idea how knowing this has cheered me up!!! My PT keeps telling me that he is seeing improvement, and that my right hip is not "kicking out" the way it used to when I put weight on that leg. So now, with what you've told me, I have become quite hopeful, and determined to work all the harder!

Will send you an email...can't wait to hear more!
            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
              Peachy and LynnMarie ...

One thing I'd ask both of you to keep in mind is that some degree of depression around the ±3-4 month mark seems to be "not uncommon". Not everyone experiences it, but it's about the time where you start to feel good most of the time - yet a day of overdoing (that doesn't FEEL like overdoing) will knock you on your ass for a day or two.

Peachy, it's entirely possible the Lyrica is also causing effects (it could be the case with the edema) ... and it could be causing - or exaccerbating - the blues. LynnMarie, ditto with the Gabapentin. Both drugs affect people differently.

I think I've mentioned, I'm 14 months post-op and still on Gabapentin. My dosage is 100mg/3 per day, but I usually just take 100mg in the morning. The main reason I started on it was for the insane itching. Fortunately, the only side effect I ever had from it was a sense of everything being very "surreal" for the first few days. It knocked my depth perception for a loop, and MAN, was I sleepy.

I hope you ladies get things straightened out. Just a thought, but have either of you tried the other drug? I know of several people who couldn't tolerate one drug, but had no issue with the other.

Not sure about Lyrica, but Gabapentin has the ability to magnify pain meds so you need less. Are either of you still on pain meds - and at the same levels as earlier in recovery?

Regards,
              Pam

Pam,

I'm still on 10 mg Oxycontin twice a day, and was told not to try to come off it until month 4, so I still have one month to go. I want to be off Lyrica before then because I would hate to be trying to get through withdrawal from both drugs at the same time!

It may sound strange, but I really haven't had a problem with pain since leaving the hospital. Originally, I was on 3 Oxy a day plus Percocet as needed (in addition to Lyrica). I stopped the Percocet and dropped the Oxy to 2-a-day the first month. The only time I feel discomfort in my back is in the evening when sometimes I've forgotten to take the Oxy by a couple of hours. I don't know if this is normal or "average", but I had expected to have much more of a problem with pain than I have. Also, I'm hoping "nerve" pain won't show up once I'm off Lyrica.

The nurse did mention switching me to Gabapentin, so, if I seem to have nerve pain after stopping the Lyrica, I will try that. Glad to hear it works so well for you!

Anne (Peachy)

Comment

Nerve Meds

I did not take Lyrica, but took Gabapentin for several months following my fusion for nervey sensations down my sciatic nerve that had been damaged prior to surgery from severe compression. I also was taking Topamax for migraines which I have taken for years. My pain management doctor finally noticed that and stopped the Gabapentin which was making me sleepy and upped my dosage of Topamax. Both drugs are anti-seizure drugs. The Topamax has helped too to decrease the nerve sensations in my leg plus added benefit, it has is weight loss. Not that I needed it, I had already lost so much weight following my surgery. Has anyone else taken Topamax for their nerve pain? Topamax has its own set of side effects however and takes months to get used to. There does not seem to be one perfect drug. AS for swollen lips, I agree , that sounds like an allergic reaction to SOMETHING and I would get myself to my PCP right away. Allergic reactions can become severe.
                Kristy
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                X