X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by discombobulated View Post
    Jen,

You know I'm over the moon for you, but I just had to say it again

Just check with your pharmacist or doc before you start cutting pills in half - esp. with time release ones, breaking them can release a large amount of the med into your system quickly. Many tablets are fine to cut, but it pays to just be careful if you want to try things this way.

Ed, I've missed so much around here so I'll have to backtrack your thread, but I really hope this gallbladder thing was the source of all your probs. Goodluck with the op!
    Michelle's right--if you cut the time-released oxy pills, you can overmedicate yourself. Thankfully it never occurred to me.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jen

Oops, sorry I figured you call the Dr first on the pill cutting. Thx Michelle and Debbe for the alert.

No worries
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Good on you Lynne, what a hero. I feel a long way from going back to work. I can barely fill in a form properly, I discovered yesterday!

Ed, like you, I had horrible problems with constipation. I was given laxatives daily, two enemas that did nothing along with a high fibre diet. Just as I was becoming desperate at 9 days, a friend brought in some Nulax. Do you have it in the US? It's based on dried fig, looks and tastes like dried fig and works within a few hours. But it's very harsh and I should tell you I thought I was going to die on that toilet. But I was so grateful at the same time! Good luck mate. Remember the Nulax if you really need to take the pain relief, oh and drink lots of pear juice, it's pretty good too, not as effective as the Nulax, but gentler. I'll be thinking of you Thursday.

Deb and Michelle. Fortunately my box of Oxycontin clearly states the pills are not to be bitten or cut. I Googled it and found out that if the coating is broken an overdose can be lethal. I also read that addicts do this, for a high. Lordy, there are some things I will never understand.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh and Debbei, that's a great idea about spreading out the pill-taking times! I'll do that for a week or so before I stop.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            Oh and Debbei, that's a great idea about spreading out the pill-taking times! I'll do that for a week or so before I stop.
            Jennifer,

when I was down to 2 pills, every dose I'd add more time SLOWLY so that over a week or so I went from 2x a day to 1x a day. And then the last time I took one was about a day and a half between doses so I finally SLOWLY lost all those terrible symptoms. In my case I couldn't cut any pills because they were capsules.

Keep us posted how it goes.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
            X