Posterior/Anterior Scheduled for April 14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck Edie,

I know you'll be just fine. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better with the idea of the surgery. I think it happened with me too; at some point you just want the waiting to be over and be done with it.

I'll give you a call before you go in.

PS--did you find somehwere for your hubby to stay?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Edie~
      Good luck! It feels good to know there are two others having surgery the same time (close anyway). I can't wait to hear from you and Susan..Janet too. We will all get to help eachother along. You sound very calm, I feel like I am a ball of nerves.
      ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
      pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
      post-surg 22* Thoracic.
      Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

good luck!

Edie,

Good luck on Tuesday. I sure will be thinking of you and following you through this process! I am sure it will be a while before we connect but I hope all goes well for you in the next few weeks. Are you having your surgery all in one day? I can't remember if we talked about this or not. Hopefully you are only having one. I am not looking forward to two but what can you do! Hope you had a good easter!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Change in Surgery Approach for EdieG

So I saw Dr. Boachi last Thursday for my final consult. Previously he was recommending T4-S1 Posterior with Anterior XLIF.... Well since September my curve has changed and I've lost a 1/2 inch in height. My lumbar curve that was 41 is now 55 degrees so he has changed his approach. He is planning T11 to sacrum with most of it done thru the side. He says its significant muscle cutting thru the side and more work for me during recovery.

I am concerned about my upper curve changing after the surgery and requiring a second fusion but I asked him three different ways and he said he was not concerned about the upper curve.

We discussed re-hab and I think I will be pushing to go to Kessler in West Orange, NJ after the hospital. My sister live close by and it would be easier for my husband too.

Thanks again for all your warm wishes....

Edie
          55 year old Women

Thoracic Curve: 48 degrees (Sept 08) 30 degrees at surgery time
          Lumbar Curve: 41 degrees (Sept 08) 55 degrees at surgery time
          Terrible Pain for 2 years

Surgery with Dr. Boachie-Adjei NYC
          Surgery April 14, 2009 at HSS NYC Posterior and Anterior T11 - S1 (11 hours)
          26 Days in Hospital & Rehab
          Post Op Pulmonary Problems

Lumbar Curve 11% post op

Comment

Thinking of you - and we'll have to compare notes!

Hi Edie - my name is Carol and I also have my first surgery scheduled for tomorrow, April 14th. I've been on this site once when I first learned of my surgery, and then again over the last few days. I also am posterior and anterior and expect the second surgery to be somewhere around the 22nd of April. I'm from the Boston area and my surgery will be at New England Baptiste Hospital with Frank Rand. There is another woman having surgery at the Baptiste two weeks after me - I noticed some posts from her. Lots to think about. Will get back on the site as soon as I can. I've found the information very helpful and I know the support post surgery will be a tremendous boost. Take care!

Comment

Preop Jitters

This is Ralph, EdieG's husband. I think the hard part is over...they just cleaned her back with that nasty Benadine! Yuk.
              55 year old Women

Thoracic Curve: 48 degrees (Sept 08) 30 degrees at surgery time
              Lumbar Curve: 41 degrees (Sept 08) 55 degrees at surgery time
              Terrible Pain for 2 years

Surgery with Dr. Boachie-Adjei NYC
              Surgery April 14, 2009 at HSS NYC Posterior and Anterior T11 - S1 (11 hours)
              26 Days in Hospital & Rehab
              Post Op Pulmonary Problems

Lumbar Curve 11% post op

Comment

Ralph,

This is Debbe. I'm the one who spoke with you and Edie on the phone a few weeks ago. You know that you have the hardest job for now--the waiting. Edie gets to go in there and go to sleep. I know that Edie will be just fine. She will be in my prayers today. Post an update when you can!

Comment

Update from Edie's husband!

Here is the email I received from Edie's husband at 11:00PM last night:

Edie was in surgery for 11 hours and 31 minutes, finished at around 8 PM. The doctor said everything was successful and she did well during the surgery. She will be in ICU for at least 2 days and perhaps more. I got to see her about an hour after the surgery in the ICU and even with the drugs you could tell that she was in a lot of pain, but she was unable to talk because she has a breathing tube in her. I feel so sorry that she has to go through all of the pain, but thank God she did it and after her recovery she will be able to live a more normal life, mostly pain free. Thank you all for your positive thoughts today.... she got a lot of strength from hearing from all of you and when she had second thoughts it was all of your successes that made her go on.

I will keep you all posted on her progress until she is able to do it herself.

RalphG

Comment

Thanks Ralph, it's wonderful to get updates. This is a difficult time for you too so please take care. Edie will be well taken care of in ICU. I felt very safe when I was there.

Campunciejoe (Carol) - My thoughts are with you too and hopefully we'll soon hear how you are faring with your recovery.

All the very best to both Edie and Carol!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Surgeries over!

Hi - Carol here, so happy to have two the two surgeries behind me - done at NE Baptist Hospital in Boston by Dr. Frank Rand. Thanksfully both surgeries were done from the back - he was able to connect whatever needed to be connected that way instead of one front and one back. Each surgery I understand was about 8 hours. I had a gigantic S curve - I know not very scientific way to describe, but I never did focus on the L3s and S 1s etc. All I know if that I have a huge scar from top of spine to my pelvis. Surgeries were April 14th and April 22nd and I am still medicated every three hours or so with fast acting oxicodon and long acting ever 12 hours oxicotin. Walking helps keep pain level down. I wear the brace Dr. Rand recommended when sitting or standing, and feel I am actually doing quite well. Once I got the more surgical parts out of the way (narcotics and nausea being a big one) I now feel I can focus on healing. I'm hoping to help new folks or share stories with people who have already had fusion. This is a wonderful forum. By t he way, being from Boston, I did catch the local news clip on one TV producer's spinal fusion - I'd recommend watching the video.

My one comment now is that I feel that I am learning to welcome an entire new anatomy. To be straight and taller, with no rib pain, and little too no curvature -- it's a mircle.

Carol

Comment

Carol-- what wonderful news! It sounds like you are doing just great! Keep us posted with your progress and ask any questions that come to mind about recovery. Stay strong, take care of yourself, and keep walking! Hugs, Susie
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

It's true, isn't it? It really is a miracle. You sound great Carol!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                          X