No announcement yet.

New Kid on The Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Lisa B! Just wanted to welcome another new member tonight. I really am not familiar with those as 2 separate surgeries. I am sure someone on here will be able to help you out. Good luck. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

another newbie!!

I'm so glad I found this site last week. I only wish I had years ago! I'm a jumble of mixed emotions about my surgery: excited to finally have it scheduled, scared it won't go well, worried about my kids and bills and what if I get laid off since I'm taking time off work...all those feelings. But mostly excited to finally have a chance to be better. Reading and feeling the support everyone here gives eachother is very inspiring!
      ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
      pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
      post-surg 22* Thoracic.
      Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

When I quit my drugs, the pain level did increase for a few days, then dropped considerably. I was just wondering about where your pain is coming from?

Has your Doc addressed your walking and balance issues? Why cant you hold your head up? Are you leaning forward?

Hi Ed,
        My pain is mostly in my spine (go figure!), and my hips. My pre-op pain is gone. I am tired of all the pills I am currently taking and wonder if that might be part of my problem with being so tired. So I am going to try to wean off the Fentanyl patch and just use ALeve for now.
        Yes, I my doc sent me to physical therapy when I was 3 mo post op and that did help me alot with strengthening. I can hold my head up until I get tired, then I tend to lean forward and my head goes down. Or if I carry something too heavy.
        It's just that I can't stand up straight and be comfortable. My lumbar area is very stiff and has no curve.
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Indiana Surgeons

Hi - My doctor is Rick Sasso also. I had a fusion for high grade spondylolisthesis January 13. I was fused from my S1 - L4. I also have scoliosis and will have that surgery in 6 months to a year, whenever he feels I am ready. (I'm 54 and wore a Milwaukee brace from '69-'72 after being in a body cast for 3 months.Never had surgery because the procedure just wasn't very good back then. Also my back was pretty good for quite awile, but now worse.) My spondy was so bad that he wanted to stabilize my lower spine before correcting the scoliosis. I was having numbness in my legs and butt. I'm still in my brace for 2 more weeks but feeling great. No more numbness. I would recommend Sasso. He does have an excellent reputation. I'd like to get the scoliosis surgery over with so I can put all of this behind me; hopefully late fall or winter. I hope to be playing golf soon. My doc said that I would be able to.
          Last edited by LisaB; 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM.
          Age 56
          Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
          Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
          Thoracic 68
          Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
          Dr Bridwell St Louis
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Working...
          X