New here too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jo,

Had to say hello because I am pretty much at the same stage you are, fears and all. I read everyone's reply to you, it's comforting to read their experiences and to see how they are doing post surgery. I don't have grandchildren yet, but the fear of not being able to continue with my regular activities of daily living for a good while is scary. Thank God that I have a supportive husband and family, also my boss is great and will work with me through all, he even said that if need be I would be able to work from home until I am able to get to work. Looking foward to seeing your progress, as I am tentatively scheduled for surgery in the first part of June. This forum is a great place to get comfort and much needed advice and suggestions!
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Hi Jo,

I know that you're worried about the outcome and recovery from your surgery but want to assure you, like all other posters, that you are doing the right thing and are in the best care with Dr. Rand. He recently (Feb. 16, 2009) replaced my 3 degenerated disks and fused my L1-S1 with an anterior and posterior procedure that lasted about 11 hrs. The surgery immediately aleviated left leg pain, numbness and tingling that had been plauging me for nearly 8 years and made me realize that I should have done it sooner.

After one month I'm virtually pain free in the back but still have some discomfort in my left leg where some hip bone was taken for grafting purposes. This should diminish over the next couple months.

My history includes scoliosis surgery at Boston Children's Hospital when I was 20 in 1977 with fusion and Harrington rods from T1-T12. This was after spending about 4 years in a Milwaukee brace that failed to correct my scoliosis. I spent 6 months in a body cast after surgery but was running on the beach playing frisbee about 3 months after surgery and was able to continue with college while in the body cast. Fortunately, the body cast is a thing of the past and your post-op care should be much less intrusive.

The reason I chose Dr. Rand was because his medical history indicated that he worked at Children's Hospital and mentored under my original surgeon, Dr. John Hall, in 1986, whom he remembers fondly. He was meant for me and hopefully will be great for you.

I wish you the best in your recovery and future play with your grandchildren.

Roy

Comment

welcome Jo

Welcome Jo!!

Your situation sounds just like mine! I am scheduled for Surgery April 15...the count down is on. I have been working with a chiropractor this past year faithfully 3-4 days per which has helped a lot but the reality is eventually my curve will probably progress. It has progressed 10* in the past 4 years. I would rather go through surgery now rather than when I am older, I am 36 right now. I am as active as I can tolerate and getting back in shape after having a baby last February. I use to be a bodybuilder so to have this start up again was the last thing on my mind! Such is life:O) It took me a while to come to terms with surgery....putting so much stress on the family but I know in the end it will be worth it. There are so many positive stories and people behind them on this website, I know I have made the right choice. Good luck and hope you find the support that you need here! Take care of you!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X