White blood cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am relieved you got an answer.

I didn't realize folks could try to manage gall stones with diet rather than having the gall bladder removed.

Good luck, Ti Ed.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Ed, Do the Drs think the gall stones will pass on their own once they are smaller do to your "rabbit" diet? If so, I hope it works for you. Thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better soon. Jo
      -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
      Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
      Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
      Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Well I saw my vascular surgeon yesterday and I told him that I would have to "think about" having my gall bladder removed.
        I told him about my diet change, and virtually eliminating my "fat" intake, and he said that that was fine. He did mention that most that have gall bladder attacks will have a reoccurance in 6 months. In the mean time, Im headed to Park city,Utah for some skiing for a week. Ive been feeling good.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

after a few gall attacks, its history

Guess what? I'm up in the middle of the night. Its the bottom line with me, surgery means sleeping problems. I have no pain till I lay down. I can get a little sleep on my left side, but on my back and right side I feel a pulling pain in the surgical area. Breathing deeply trigger quite a bit of pain, its expected. Just pulling on delicate things on the inhale.

I'm disappointed that I couldn't get my large gall stone after my surgery this morning. I was going to crazy glue it to the front of my fridge as a cholesterol reminder. Oh well, no biggie, Ill just glue a golf ball there instead. (they get that big) mine was 5/8" dia.

I lost 40# in 40 days on the Percocet weight loss program after my scoli surgeries. I did not have them in my May 2007 Cts per the radiology dept when I passed my Kidney stone. I believe Karen is right about not eating enough to release bile and the buildup or stagnancy in the gall bladder produced the stones. It makes sense.

I'm getting tired about having to repeat my medical history to the various nurses at all the different medical facilities. Pam mentioned something about tattoos and I'm thinking I should tattoo my medical history across my back in chronological order.
          I have 2 pages available since I have the long scar divider from neck to to the ...... gluteus cleftus.

well, on pain ratings. 1-10 scale
          gall bladder removal ..............................................1
          rotator cuff tear and broken humeral head .................1
          A/P scoliosis surgery ............................................ 10
          passing a 7mm kidney stone through a 2mm ureter... 13 intense for 7 hrs, spiked to 20 during passage for 25 minutes
          laser lithotripsy....................................... ...............1
          head and shoulders in eyes at age 5.........................25
          grabbing soldering iron with hand age 6.....................50
          brutal ski crash 27 stitches in head age 15..................1
          sciatica for 9 months............................................ ...9

Its funny, as a child, pain is magnified. If a scratch at age 2 scores 100, how high would scoliosis surgery score at young ages?

Ed
          Last edited by titaniumed; 05-01-2009, 11:48 AM. Reason: added sciatica

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

A/P scoliosis surgery ............................................ 10
            passing a 7mm kidney stone through a 2mm ureter... 13 intense for 7 hrs, spiked to 20 during passage for 25 minutes

Ed
            Ed,

I am totally feeling your kidney stone pain! I took my 17 y.o. daughter to the ER over the weekend. Turns out she has kidney stones in both kidneys and a kidney infection, just for good measure. She's had more pain from this than she did from her Scoli surgery! Her doctor says that most women who have experienced both kidney stones and child birth, will always choose child birth pain over kidney stone pain. Jamie has joked that after this, giving birth will be a piece of cake!

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Ed,
              I had to shuckle regarding your tatooing your medical history. My daughter
              (19) had several ongoing and overlapping medical conditions over the past year. Early on (after about 5 different prescriptions) I told her to write out all
              that she has taken, been through, diagnosed with, etc and now she just hands this to any new physician she sees. They are always appreciative and besides its sometimes hard to remember all the details.
              Ramona
              mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
              diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
              also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
              fused T4 to L1

Comment

Feel better soon Ed. You could tattoo yourself, but maybe they won't be able to read it when you get older. You know, when the skin starts to DROOP!! BWHAAAHAAA

Sorry; I shouldn't try to make you laugh when you're already in pain.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

one for the ladys

No droop here! No way. I used to wrestle back in the olden days. Im on the top.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...9981kooPBprupO

This poor guy just couldnt hang in there through the years. Looks like quite a choppy history. I dont see any droop, do you?

My x-rays

Comment

Hi Ed
                    That's a lot of tattoos. Hopefully they will get electronic medical records up and running soon; otherwise you will have to grade the pain from the tattoos and have that tattooed also. Glad you are OK from the gall bladder surgery.
                    BTW, I watched my son pass a kidney stone and he was definitely in more pain than my childbirth experience, maybe even my acute sciatica experience which was at least a 12. I'm not sure about the scoli surgery, I was on drugs for that.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

No droop here! No way. I used to wrestle back in the olden days. Im on the top.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...9981kooPBprupO

This poor guy just couldnt hang in there through the years. Looks like quite a choppy history. I dont see any droop, do you?
                      Now there's a nice back and no droop!! My goodness!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thats the front chop shot Debbe, LMAO Classic!!! Sharon appreciated the art, she must be at the art museum today. LOL
                        I forgot the sciatica events Sally, How could that have happened?
                        Ed
                        Last edited by titaniumed; 05-01-2009, 11:56 AM.

My x-rays

Comment

Mary Lou

Stones plural? How many? Did she pass any? How big are they? Her bear traps up high must have been killer!

I had the kidney stone happen before my fusion surgery and I kept repeating that my back was killing me over and over and over. When the nurse came she gave me a choice, which I don't remember. I just told her to knock me out. No vicoden, just knock me out with a shot!!! I needed all my systems shut off. Kill the lights now!

I don't know if I could handle another stone seriously. My blood pressure when the stone passed was scary high. It was quite the event let me tell you. Its the boulders that can kill you, some people pass sand size every day.

I had a laser lithotripsy. That's where they go up "the hard way" and laser it in smaller chunks and pull out in a cage. They can go all the way up to the kidney. Sometimes they use stents for a few days and pull out later. Its quite some distance, you know, they basically have a fishing reel down at the end of the table.

My urologist scares the hell out of me. Were talking tricky stuff here. I mean, who is the Doctor a guy needs to trust the most? All it takes is one slip and voice change becomes permanent. I went a had a KUB (kidney,urinary,bladder)x-ray at the hospital, came back and he looked for 1 second and said "I have to go in, any questions" Of course my urinary tract knowledge at that time consisted of plumbing terminology I learned at home depot. My first surgery you know? and he has to go in? "UHHH WHERE DOC" ????

He kind of looks like Adam Sandler also. Our discussion should have been filmed. LOL

I'm very picky about what I eat now, and I think its understandable. I've lost 15 lbs in the last 9 weeks and love the food I'm eating. Standard American breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries, coffee is probably the worst thing you can put in your mouth. If food last more than 4 days, don't eat it. I'm done with the chemicals and food colorings.
                          My hair dressers daughter had gall stones at age 12.

Apples have pectin which supposedly reduces stone diameters. An apple a day keeps the Doctor away is learned in kindergarten. This diet stuff needs enforcement!

Immune systems need to be up to snuff these days with all these new things like "swine flu" That's probably the main thing here along with vigorous washing of hands for 5 minutes, and general sanitary protocol.

Lunch time in school should include dietary class also. Gym is mandatory right, well we are shutting down schools and losing productivity due to people getting sick. Diet and food class should be mandatory in school. The billions of dollars that are funneled into pharmaceutical companies with insurance drug dollars should be used for thing of this nature. Grow our own crops here, not import them. We import too much as it is.

Keep me at bay on Jamie's stone dilemma. There are plenty of renal sites on-line. Tons of them
                          Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Statuary

Thats the front chop shot Debbe, LMAO Classic!!! Sharon appreciated the art, she must be at the art museum today. LOL
                            I forgot the sciatica events Sally, How could that have happened?
                            Ed
                            I had sciatica or a pinched nerve or something while I was losing my disc in my lumbar. The pain was 0 then 10 then 0. Nothing in-between.

BTW, I was not at the art museum though I do somewhat enjoy going there. I saw the Monet exhibit when it was here... fifty some paintings that was the largest assembled exhibit of Monet paintings ever put together or something along those lines.

But I never realized how compelling sculpture could be, Ti Ed. You opened my eyes and I will be forever grateful.
                            Last edited by Pooka1; 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Well Ed I hope you are feeling better.

In the spirit of what you have brought to this site, I can only emulate the great master...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co1qefSOn-c

Brad
                              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                              Still have 57 degree curve
                              2 Harrington rods
                              Luque method used
                              Dr David Bradford
                              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                              Preop xray (with brace on)
                              Postop xray

Comment

Wow that's an old one. He looks much younger in that one.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X