Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lack of/no control of stomach muscles....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LynnMarie and Abhbarry-
    I have my date set with Dr. Tribus for April 28 - SCARED TO DEATH! Now I read your posts and am worried that I am making a mistake...at least with nursing care. PLEASE let Dr. Tribus know - as a future patient - I'm terrified to go through what you two have gone through with the nurses.

I have been reading both of your posts though and am shocked at how well you both recovered (although I don't know a thing about the belly bloating - I hope sincerely that it's nothing and will go away soon for you!)

Any advice would be heeded!
    Always Smilin'
    1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Lynn did you have anterior surgery? When I had my first disc replacement and fusion for DDD I had an undiagnosed haematoma (bleed) which resulted in an enormous belly.
      I knew things weren't "right" but the nurses kept telling me it was normal for abdominal surgery. Well, they were wrong...you'd think the low RBC would have raised a few alarm bells but not so.
      It took at least 2 months for the blood to reabsorb and I had daily therapeutic ultrasound to help break it down.
      Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by cathydownunder View Post
        Lynn did you have anterior surgery? When I had my first disc replacement and fusion for DDD I had an undiagnosed haematoma (bleed) which resulted in an enormous belly.
        I knew things weren't "right" but the nurses kept telling me it was normal for abdominal surgery. Well, they were wrong...you'd think the low RBC would have raised a few alarm bells but not so.
        It took at least 2 months for the blood to reabsorb and I had daily therapeutic ultrasound to help break it down.
        Just a thought.
        Hi Cathy- no..just posterior...I was SUPPOSED to have had anerior, but thank goodness..while I was waiting in the pre op area of the hospital, my doc said that after another review of my xrays, anterior was not needed. Soooo, I guess its a mystery!!
        Lynn -30.... something
        DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
        At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
        At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
        Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
        UW Madison, WI Hospital
        **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Always smiling,

I want to reassure you that I have full faith in Dr. Tribus's surgical abilities. I had done a lot of research on him prior to surgery and feel comfortable with the choice that I made. He was always professional, treated me like a real human being, and showed genuine care and concern. In that regard, I hope that I can put your mind at ease. His nurses are a problem, as you have gathered from the posts. There are two nurses that are pretty good, as Lynn wrote. You will want to try to deal with them. As I told Lynn, I just couldn't take the way they treated me post-op and stopped dealing with them altogether. I would express your concern to Dr. Tribus and say that you've heard from patients in the past that they were treated with disrespect and the nurses are unrealistic and sometimes downright mean with their ability to provide adequate pain control. The nurses are not a HUGE part of this process though and I really liked Dr. Tribus. I would be happy to give you any advice on UW hospital as well if you want to PM me sometime.

Best - keep your chin up!
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I agree w/Abhbarry

I agree...I had/have full trust & respect for Dr. Tribus. He is a very nice & down to earth person & like she said, treats you w/respect & listens & takes his time with you. The only issue that Ive ever had, was w/a few a the nurses. And its when you call to get a refill...a few of them made me feel like an addict 3 weeks out...I was like come on...you've got to be kidding me. Of course I never said anything to them at the time. Im cut way back by now...taking about 3-4 a day(hydrocodone) so they dont hassel me as much now when I do call. However, I still disagree w/their logic of being off totally at 6 weeks..which is today by the way...its impossible I will say. Im being reasonable w/my meds & using them when I need them. They should respect that & fill 'er up! lol You will like Dr Tribus...Im sure of it.

Oh...and today the last of my steri-strips are off!!! Yahhooooo! I was working on the ends for a few days and been putting cream on them at night. The last few ..ok there were more than a few...but they came right off!! It felt sooo nice to have those darned things off!! The scar looks fantastic by the way! He did a awesome job w/the cut & stitches!!
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
            X