The tortoise and the hare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N ancy Joy,

I also appreciate your post. My hat's off to you and others who maintain an energetically positive attitude through all this. The importance of a positive attitude is sometimes drummed into us here and elsewhere, but the truth is, you can't force yourself to be someone you're not. I have always been a tightly-wound, high-strung person and I took this surgery very hard. I've also been determined and highly motivated to recover, and that has served me well.

When it's all said and done, there are as many different types of recoveries from this thing as there are people who have it done, and we all get there -- eventually!

Best wishes to you.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Revisiting this thread

Hi all,
      I wanted to "bump"'this thread, as Ed says. It's one that I have always remembered and try to think about when I am having bad days. I am six weeks post-op now and thought I would be off narcotics and driving by now. I'm not, so that bums me out. But I am trying to be like SusieBee and focus on the progress I Have made. I have decreased my pain meds a lot, I am capable of tagging along to important things like kindergarten registration for my daughter and doctor's appointments for both my kids, and I am taking fewer naps. I'm still sore, but that will take time. I am very grateful for no major complications, so far. Anyway, I thought others who are recovering might like to read this thread again.

Best,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Evelyn...

I had a goal of being back to work full time at 3M postop. I didn't make it, and looking back, I realize it was just a number. On average, I think most people get off of narcotics around 3 months, but there's a very wide range. Hang in there. Six weeks is still pretty early.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree, we are all different. I didn't have any goals in mind, other than to eventually resume my life. I didn't start to reduce dosage until at least 6-7 weeks and spent several weeks getting off the medication. I relied on my instincts a lot. I just knew when it was time to do this or that. I was 3 months when I first drove. I was very fortunate in that I didn't have a job to get back to so I was able to take my time. I wish we all could simply "take our time."

Just an addition to my post...I think it helped that my surgeon told me it would take a year to recover, possibly 2. So I never felt rushed. I really think my surgeon did me a huge favour telling me that.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X