Question about after you stopped pain meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendyh View Post
    debbei and everyone thanks for your replies about my lower back pins and needles and stabbing. Debbei, you said that you had a good cry about one week after you stopped the pain meds and then it too about 2 weeks to start feeling better. That really helped me because maybe that is part of what is going on with me not to mention the real pain I am feeling. The pain meds definitly make it bearable to cope with the raw aspects of my pain. They take the edge off and remove me enough to get on with my day.
    I had such a tough weekend trying to get my 5 year old to her various activities, trying to navigate around icy patches without slipping. And I am sure that this hip issue was aggravated by the 20 minutes on the treadmill I did on Friday. I just want to be better NOW and I think I have set myself back . I am so frustrated right now. I cried on the phone to my DRs asst. and they have never/seen heard me like that. I have been the model patient so far. I have to reset my thinking to long term. Ahhhhhhhhh. Thanks for listening/reading.
    wendy
    age 49
    Lumbar scoliosis surgery Oct 6,2008
    50 degree curve
    corrected to zero

Awh Wendy (((Hugs)))

No wonder you're so sore, doing kid activity duty! That really wears one out. What's going on with your hip? My left hip bothers me. It seems like it doesn't fit in the socket properly since the surgery. I've been told by others that it eventually gets better, but I guess it takes time. Even this morning, I bumped into a doorway, not too hard, but to my insides, it felt like I twisted. I don't think I really did, but I'm a little sore now. I guess it's nothing a hot shower won't help a little.

I hope you start feeling better soon. What did the Dr.'s office suggest? Tylenol does nothing for me, so I don't even bother. It will be nice once we are able to take motrin again.....

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

still worried

Originally posted by debbei View Post
      Awh Wendy (((Hugs)))

No wonder you're so sore, doing kid activity duty! That really wears one out. What's going on with your hip? My left hip bothers me. It seems like it doesn't fit in the socket properly since the surgery. I've been told by others that it eventually gets better, but I guess it takes time. Even this morning, I bumped into a doorway, not too hard, but to my insides, it felt like I twisted. I don't think I really did, but I'm a little sore now. I guess it's nothing a hot shower won't help a little.

I hope you start feeling better soon. What did the Dr.'s office suggest? Tylenol does nothing for me, so I don't even bother. It will be nice once we are able to take motrin again.....
      My Dr says that what can happen after surgery is sacroilliac pain which I guess is the joint that we use to move the leg around and up and down. It gets overstressed by taking the weight of the adjustment to the fusion and for some people it becomes a problem. It has become a big problem for me. I had to go back on pain meds after being off for 10 days because I became so stiff again that I backtracked. I have been so upset. After the first cortisone injection I honestly felt as if I were 80% recovered from the entire surgery but then it wore off and set me back to a really bad place because I did too much. It is so hard to know what is too much and my DR and physical therapist keep telling me that I have to be the one to decide. I hate this sometimes but patience is not my stong point. I used to be so active and I long to exercise again.

So starting this Friday I get another shot and I guess begin a 'series' of injections until this calms down but now I'm scared it won't and I will be one of those people that have to get my hardware removed after 2 years because I never adjusted. I know I am projecting. I am praying alot to stop doing that and stay positive. Thanks for listening.

wendy h....surgery oct 6th, 2008
      age 49
      lumbar curve 50 degrees
      repaired to zero
      wendy from Ct
      surgery Oct 6th 2008
      50 degree lumbar curve
      corrected to zero

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
        Awh Wendy (((Hugs)))

Oh and I am back on Vicoden again which makes me very moody.And you are right. Tylenol does nothing and after taking it a few times I stopped because it just pissed me off.
        wendy from Ct
        surgery Oct 6th 2008
        50 degree lumbar curve
        corrected to zero

Comment

Wendy- I totally can relate to the stomach roll. Man- no matter how much weight I lost or exercise, etc. I just couldn't get rid of it. I asked my Dr. if he did lipo or tummy tucks but he said no. Even though I have quite a scar from my anterior surgery- my roll is gone!!!!!! With clothes on no one sees the scar and now I don't have to try and hide a roll! I never even put the thought of the roll being because of scoli before until after the surgery.
          Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
          Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
          Age 54
          T10 to Sacrum
          Curve 65 degrees
          Very straight now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
            Wendy- I totally can relate to the stomach roll. Man- no matter how much weight I lost or exercise, etc. I just couldn't get rid of it. I asked my Dr. if he did lipo or tummy tucks but he said no. Even though I have quite a scar from my anterior surgery- my roll is gone!!!!!! With clothes on no one sees the scar and now I don't have to try and hide a roll! I never even put the thought of the roll being because of scoli before until after the surgery.
            I know-isn't it weird how we get a new figure?
            wendy from Ct
            surgery Oct 6th 2008
            50 degree lumbar curve
            corrected to zero

Comment

I've got to say the "new figure" idea sounds marvelous. The stomach roll has really become a problem the last year as my torso squished more and more. And as others have said, no amount of exercise helped it. I do worry though after surgery with not being able to do any major exercise for so long--I need it since I have the metabolism of a slug, seriously!--that the pounds will just keep adding up. I worry my only exercise will be eating! Did anyone else find that it was hard to keep off the pounds? Just another on my long list of worries.
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I lost weight and am keeping it off. I just couldn't eat a lot of food at a time and slept a lot! Now I eat the right foods on purpose because I love being the right weight with a new nice shape and the walking helps. I am pretty anxious to get released from my 5 lb. weight restriction so I can get back to doing weight work but that might even be awhile because so far lifting can really pull things.
                Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                Age 54
                T10 to Sacrum
                Curve 65 degrees
                Very straight now!!!

Comment

Working...
                X