Im all Pre-Op'd and ready to rock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
    He says that a lot of people end up having some "buldging" over the scared area? He said after a year, if its still there, he would go in and "smooth it out" for me. How nice of him! So, now Im lookin at 3 scars....back, front & right hip for the bone graph!
    Hi Lynn, I think should tell your Dr. you would prefer he do it right the first time, smoothing and keeping the bulging from happening. This seems to be a very common side effect for anterior surgeries. You don't want insurance telling you it won't be covered do to it being considered a cosmetic procedure! If he can't/won't do it now get something in writing from him. This bulge is pretty noticeable on those I have seen it on whether they are fit or not.
    As for three incisions... NOT if he takes a minute...Your Dr. can get to your hip if he is going down to L4, mine did! I DID NOT have a separate incision for my bone graft harvesting. You are the patient and he should respect your wishes. I feel you needed to know of options to these situations as it can only help you in the short/long term. One more thing about bone grafting. Ask if he plans on filling in the graft area in your hip with bone chip as this helps to greatly reduce the pain from the graft removal.
    Best wishes, Suzy

2/22/06 T-10 to L4

Comment

Hi Lynn

You will do just fine. Hang in there. Will think of you on Wed.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

thanks ed!

I know I will be okay....in pain and highly medicated that is! Hope all is well.....have a great weekend!
        Lynn -30.... something
        DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
        At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
        At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
        Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
        UW Madison, WI Hospital
        **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
          Hi Lynn, I think should tell your Dr. you would prefer he do it right the first time, smoothing and keeping the bulging from happening. This seems to be a very common side effect for anterior surgeries. You don't want insurance telling you it won't be covered do to it being considered a cosmetic procedure! If he can't/won't do it now get something in writing from him. This bulge is pretty noticeable on those I have seen it on whether they are fit or not.
          As for three incisions... NOT if he takes a minute...Your Dr. can get to your hip if he is going down to L4, mine did! I DID NOT have a separate incision for my bone graft harvesting. You are the patient and he should respect your wishes. I feel you needed to know of options to these situations as it can only help you in the short/long term. One more thing about bone grafting. Ask if he plans on filling in the graft area in your hip with bone chip as this helps to greatly reduce the pain from the graft removal.
          Best wishes, Suzy

2/22/06 T-10 to L4
          Thanks Suzy. Maybe I misunderstood about having a incision for the bone graph. I was slightly overwhelmed at the pre-op.....infomation overload. And I do agree w/the do it right the 1st time theory. I will mention it on Wednesday. Im really hoping it wont be an issue, but Im expecting the worse, or shall I say prepared for the worse, just incase. If its not there, yippie for me, if it is I curse Scoliosis!!! Grrrrrr!!!!
          Lynn -30.... something
          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

You get good info here, don't you?

A few more days and this will all be behind you, Lynne. Have you started on those Valiums yet?
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Dear Lynn,

I agree with the others--this last stretch is the hardest part emotionally. Once you drive to the hospital and the pre-op preparations start, it all just rolls from there, and then you start the healing.

I wondered if you could talk to your surgeon about using cadaver bone or the artificial stuff instead of taking it from your hip? My surgeon said they don't do that anymore because it does weaken the hip and it's so painful. Plus he was going to need so much of it. So they ordered cadaver and artificial graft for me, and then when they trimmed off pieces of my own spine to get the hardware on there, they threw that into a grinder and used it too! I am healing very well--no complications since leaving the hospital.

I'm praying for you and thinking of you!!!!!
              Love,
              Lisa
              Lisa MS
              age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
              Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
              Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
              Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                You get good info here, don't you?

A few more days and this will all be behind you, Lynne. Have you started on those Valiums yet?

You do get excellent info...maybe to much, but eh, I asked for it! lol And yes, I took one last night and slept like a baby. I actually got about 11 hrs of sleep which was needed as I have not been getting much as of late. Im ok now as I have so much to do here...laundry, cleaning my house, playing w/my 2 kids, etc. If I feel crappy later, Im poppin' one!
                Lynn -30.... something
                UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Good to hear!

Comment

Keeping you in prayer this week Lynn.
                    35 years old. Boston braced from age 11-16. S curve 37* thoracic, 29* lumbar. Right arm, right sided thorax pain.

Comment

LynnMarie,

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks LeeJo & Sally

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                        LynnMarie,

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Sally
                        Thanks again to all.......MY STOMACH IS IN KNOTS TODAY! Boy am I glad I took today off from work. Id be a blubbering fool!
                        Lynn -30.... something
                        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Thinking of you Lynn. I'm told this is the hardest part, where you are today. Be really nice to yourself. Thinking of you tomorrow (Wednesday, Australia time.) Wishing for it to be all over quickly and for a nice, smooth recovery. *hugs*

Comment

Hi Lynn~~

You are almost there! I will be gone a few days starting the 15th but will sure be thinking of and praying for you. My last days mantra was "all I have to do is -go to sleep" (anesthesia)- everyone else has the hard part- Dr. working, family waiting. It helped calm me thinking I had the easy part- Ha! I am sure you will do fine. This really is the most nerve racking time- that last couple of days. You have a wonderful support group cheering you on (as you know).
                            Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                            Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                            Age 54
                            T10 to Sacrum
                            Curve 65 degrees
                            Very straight now!!!

Comment

That's an excellent mindset on that last day. I will remember that. Thanks Nancy Joy. I'm sure it will help Lynn too.

Comment

Hi Lynn
                                just wanted to say good luck for your surgery and I hope it all goes smoothly tomorrow.
                                thinking of you lots and wishing you all the best
                                Louisse
                                Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Working...
                                X