Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sara

Welcome!
    I see you had a two part op with a 3 week separation. Wow! Mine was 2 days, and they only woke me up for 2 minutes after my anterior, then out for a week. I wonder why your Doc waited the 3 weeks? You must have been pretty corked down low like me. I sure would like to see your x-rays. Get a disc burned at the Doctors office, the quality is so much better.Mine is on my first thread.

You should start to feel better soon. My improvements seemed to be staged 20% bumps. My first 20% bump of improvement was at 1 month, then at 2 months, another 20% and so on. Your only 23 so instead of being a drugged kitty cat, you ought to return to being fierceliketiger here real soon! LOL

You might have noticed that I like to sidetrack and liven things up to keep things interesting, and add Mr Ed videos and things like that. It helps to have a positive attitude, and laugh through life.

One of the things you can do is get copies of your hospital reports from the hospital. Its neat to read through, and you will find info that they didn't tell you. I found out so many things from mine, 150 pages worth.

Keep walking and squatting!!! Use ski poles for walking, you don't want a dog to knock you down. No falling allowed now.

Sharon

Just wondering what suggestions you might have on horses with smooth gaits? Of course I want a Cadillac, and he will have to be able to slide into home plate! LOL

Caliber

I hope we helped answer your question as to limitations a year after surgery. Its the first couple of months that you have to worry about. Yes it is a difficult decision, and scary. It took me 33 years. Keep reading and posting and watch videos,
    no not Mr Ed, scoliosis videos! LOL

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Horse for Ed

I suggest you look for gaited horses that are meant for easy riding. So Tennessee walkers, Missouri Fox Trotter, Mangalarga Marchadors (if you can find one), etc. Also pacers off the track.

All are very smooth or meant to be.

http://www.gaitedhorses.net/

sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ed,

I've always wondered why some doctors use a ton of screws and some use only a few. And still others don't use any. In my daughter's case, her pedicles were too small to use screws so she only has hooks and wires. She is fused from T3-L2 and after her one year mark, she was released to do everything except bungy jump and her doctor strongly recommended she not use a trampoline. He hates trampolines and wishes everyone would stop using them, but he didn't outright tell her she couldn't jump on them. Anyway, one of the questions she asked while planning surgery was how long she would be out of hunting, swimming and riding our 4-wheeler. His answer to all of them was one year and she's returned to all of them. Now granted, she is a 17 y.o. girl and doesn't get too crazy on the 4-wheeler, but she rides it in the mountains without any problems, aches, or pains.

So, maybe cycles aren't totally out of your future?

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Mary Lou

I have quite a rack of screws, in fact there are 2 for each vert from T2 all the way down except for T6. On that level there is only 1 screw. In the hospital report it explains that a clear trajectory was not obtainable. I'm sure that when it comes to screw placement, if there isn't a clear shot, they wont go for it. Just too dangerous. I'm sure that's one of the reasons why they skip levels. It is up to the surgeon to decide what hardware to use. There is a thread on hooks and screws that was done about a month ago and there is some good info and links on that subject.

The trampoline is extra dangerous because an accident can happen on every jump. So, a possibility of a crash every second ! I don't blame him. Its all about odds. All it takes is one crash.

Being an adrenaline junky means taking things up to redline and backing off just a tad. Remember "the need for speed?"
          well, that's my problem. I've always had those tendencies, and have mellowed a little but not enough. The difference between the trampoline crash and a motorcycle crash differs by about 40 mph. Now I've ridden motocross, supermoto,and street quite a bit since age 6 and haven't crashed since age 16 but I will say I've had my close calls. Oh yeah, all motorcyclists do. I guess the 80 MPH 1/2 mile wheelies are over! I've ridden well, I'm still here, but once again, all it takes is one crash.

Guess what? its the same story with skiing. After 47 years of hard skiing, (and no I don't go into the lodge) I've had my share of equipment breaking crashes! I've been in 4 slides, they happen quite a bit out here, made it on ESPN, heli skied in British Columbia, and have always skied in the worst of storms, that's when the snow is best. I guess the cliff jumps are over. I've skied well, I'm still here, but once again, all it takes is one crash.

I consider powder up to my neck the perfect depth, and I thank the Lord for my success and surgical outcome and for answers to all of my deep snow prayers through the years.

This video will help explain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGd4j...eature=related

Ed
          Last edited by titaniumed; 12-31-2008, 12:12 AM.

My x-rays

Comment

Caliber

Here is a good video with anterior kyphosis info.
            http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.aspx?rid=9382

I like the film "Surgery saved my life" with Br Boachie. It shows the magnitude of scoli surgeries, and had quite an impact with me. After seeing this film, I thought long and hard and was part of my decision making process. The last time I looked on the Hospital for Special Surgery site, it was not available online for free anymore. Its a Discovery production that can be bought online, or ordered over the phone.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/su...ine/4177085184

Any Kyphosis posties want to contribute vids or support for caliber. She is stepping up to the batters plate.

maybe caliber, you should start a new thread asking for kyphosis info, or use search

Lotsa folks on Christmas Vacation right now, anybody out there?

Regards
            Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ed,

You are simply NUTS! It is probably better if you stay off the motorcycles and skies, because I doubt you'll avoid a crash for the rest of your life. We both know that eventually, that need for speed will catch up with you and you'lll be back to your normal craziness.

My husband ended up with two compression fractures in his back from a dirtbike accident. I never told him he had to sell his cycle because I knew how important it was to him,--he rode weekly in old coal mines and also raced 4-wheelers-- but wisely he chose to sell the dirtbike. It diddn't last for long. He just had to ride. He bought a big 4-wheeler with the explanation that he needs it to drag his deer out of the woods during hunting season. Yeah, right. I knew better. I'm just grateful that he isn't riding in the coal mines anymore. My heart is getting to old for the stress of waiting for him to get home and make sure he is in one piece!

You know what the surgery/recovery was like, so I'm sure you'll make wise choices. Maybe you could take up ceramics or knitting? lol

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Caliber,

My daughter was fused from T3-L2 for her Scoliosis of 46* and Kyphosis of 71*. However, she was 13 y.o. at the time of surgery so her recovery was probably different from what an adult's would be, but let me know if you'd like details of her surgery/recovery.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hmm, squatting. I'm not allowed yet. I've seen a ton of people mention that they've been squatting to grab things. My surgeon says no squatting because people tend to lean forward when they squat.
                  25 years old
                  double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                  Anterior on 11/11/08
                  Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                  nearly perfect correction
                  fused t-10 to pelvis
                  with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                  Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                  Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                  Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                  Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Squatting is also bad for your knees according to my Doctor. Best to go down on one knee.
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Mary Lou and Scoli friends

I figured I would use that video to show what kind of skiing I'm talking about. Hope that everyone can see that even with a great surgical outcome, there are sacrifices. We all sacrifice something. I have sacrificed a lot!!! All of these possible sacrifices need to be weighed out in the decision making process. Running into major surgery is not something to be taken lightly. Its not something one should consider without very careful thought and all questions need to be addressed.

I know I'm going to sound like Warren Miller here, but skiing is the best sport. There's never the same conditions, never the same run, more acceleration than on any motorized vehicle, if you free fall, you go from 0 to 80MPH in about 4 seconds. When you ski in deep powder, you are floating. Its so serene,and tranquil. To be on the mountain and experience this is beyond words. Yes, its called powder on the brain! a terrible addiction. An addiction that we hard core skiers will pursue no matter what costs. We alter our lifestyle, our jobs, our living arrangements, our vehicles etc for skiing. We watch the weather and get exited when a monster storm is headed our way. We know where the deepest snow is. We book ski vacations and try to plant the date just right (Feb15th to March 15th) and pray that the snow will fall when we are there. We hop on helicopters in snow storms,and fly through mountain passes, even though we are afraid of flying.

If you don't start skiing this year, you will be one year older when you do.

Maybe it is NUTS!

Its funny how when my back would be hurting pre season, I always knew that when I would ski on a regular basis that the exercise would strengthen all my muscle systems and I believe it or not , would feel so much better. My body would turn to STEEL, and well anyway, I've attached a pic of me back in the old days.

Oh no, thats Fabio! Damn that guy! LOL
                      well anyway, you get the idea
                      Happy New Year
                      Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        I have sacrificed a lot!!
                        After seeing that video, I believe it. I didn't realize a person could ski in snow that deep. How do you see any buried rocks and such?

I know I'm going to sound like Warren Miller here, but skiing is the best sport. There's never the same conditions, never the same run, more acceleration than on any motorized vehicle, if you free fall, you go from 0 to 80MPH in about 4 seconds. When you ski in deep powder, you are floating. Its so serene,and tranquil. To be on the mountain and experience this is beyond words. Yes, its called powder on the brain! a terrible addiction. An addiction that we hard core skiers will pursue no matter what costs. We alter our lifestyle, our jobs, our living arrangements, our vehicles etc for skiing. We watch the weather and get exited when a monster storm is headed our way. We know where the deepest snow is. We book ski vacations and try to plant the date just right (Feb15th to March 15th) and pray that the snow will fall when we are there. We hop on helicopters in snow storms,and fly through mountain passes, even though we are afraid of flying.
                        I know you are going to find this hard to believe but I think the evidence is there that riding is as addictive as skiing.

I could list a very large number of sacrifices, personal and career, that folks I know have made in order to feed their riding addiction. It's overpowering whether you are galloping a course or riding upper level dressage movements in collection using just a small area of your lower abdomen to control a 1300 pound horse's movement. I think it is at least in the running for most addictive sport. Certainly I don't know how to quit it.
                        Last edited by Pooka1; 01-01-2009, 07:52 PM. Reason: addiction, not addition

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon

Boy, I've been having problems with attachments here lately! honestly, I don't know where Fabio came from! LOL

The base depths really need to be running 10feet minimum to go off piste. It usually takes till mid January. Its not the rocks so much, its the logs under the snow that you really have to worry about. A ski or board will deflect off a rock. If your ski tip goes under a log and hooks, you will go flying. I've had crashes in deep powder that take 1 hour to recover from and its a real workout.

I actually had a first happen to me in March 2006. Since you are basically balancing and constantly adjusting your attitude,if you lean forward just a little too much, your tips will get pulled down and anchor. I flew out of my bindings, as if diving off a diving board and flew about 30 feet above the snow and dove into the snow like in a pool, and I tunneled oh probably about another 30 feet under the snow. I could see the snow rushing by my goggles and then eventually stopped,and yes it was white! I stood up, and looked back up the hill and the snow was undisturbed. In other words, I bored my own hole, like a mole.

It was the true meaning of "holey moley"

Seeing can be a problem and also breathing. I've actually choked while skiing and have had to hold my breath till the end of the run. Its just part of the sport, if the snow is deep, who really needs to see anything or breathe? Those are minor things. The major things are whacking into trees.Snow settles and it settles fast depending on water content and temps.When its cold, under 29 degrees F and snowing , its light. After time it settles and can have the consistency like cement. One of the rules is, 48 hours max for off piste after a storm, Sonny Bono was out there (off piste) on the 3rd day.

I have to say thanx for the horse link, and yes I found a Tennessee to ride locally. And I do have friends that admit to all that's involved with their horses. They are a little concerned about letting me ride with my surgery and all, but I'm sure it will be ok. Don't worry, I will have a long talk with that horse first.

Ed
                          Last edited by titaniumed; 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM.

My x-rays

Comment

Sharon

Boy, I've been having problems with attachments here lately! honestly, I don't know where Fabio came from! LOL
                            I'd like to see a photo of you up to your neck in powder.

(snip)
                            I actually had a first happen to me in March 2006. Since you are basically balancing and constantly adjusting your attitude,if you lean forward just a little too much, your tips will get pulled down and anchor. I flew out of my bindings, as if diving off a diving board and flew about 30 feet above the snow and dove into the snow like in a pool, and I tunneled oh probably about another 30 feet under the snow. I could see the snow rushing by my goggles and then eventually stopped,and yes it was white! I stood up, and looked back up the hill and the snow was undisturbed. In other words, I bored my own hole, like a mole.

It was the true meaning of "holey moley"
                            Damn, Ed. That's as bad as getting thrown from a horse. Actually, I think skiing like you are talking is much more dangerous than riding.

(snip)Snow settles and it settles fast depending on water content and temps.When its cold, under 29 degrees F and snowing , its light. After time it settles and can have the consistency like cement. One of the rules is, 24 hours max for off piste after a storm, Sonny Bono was out there (off piste) on the 3rd day.
                            And Michael Kennedy was just playing football on skis, yes?

I have to say thanx for the horse link, and yes I found a Tennessee to ride locally. And I do have friends that admit to all that's involved with their horses. They are a little concerned about letting me ride with my surgery and all, but I'm sure it will be ok. Don't worry, I will have a long talk with that horse first.
                            You'll like the TWH. Most are sweetie pies. I just hope the horse wasn't sored or stacked or anything else that certain Walker people do to torture their poor horses. These people are so despicable they have their "own" law protecting their horses from their owners...

"The 1970 Horse Protection Act [2], created specifically to stop such practices and to monitor the TWH in particular, prohibits the use of soring agents."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenness...g_Horse#Soring

Good luck.

sharon

ps. How about less Fabio adn more you skiing?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon

Now I'm going to have to dig out some photos and scan them. I do have one pic scanned of me at Donner summit about 8 years ago. That's Donner lake behind me, Northstar ski area upper right which is the north end of Lake Tahoe. The Donner party had their little mishap down there, and before the railroad came through back in 1868, they hauled the horses and wagons up with ropes through the cliffs behind me. We have a ton of history out here with the Comstock, it fueled San Francisco, and financed the Civil war for Lincoln. The history of the United States would have been different without the gold from Virginia City.

Skiing isn't really all that dangerous as long as you know the rules. There has been increased awareness here lately and there are guys having problems every day. One of the freeskiers at Squaw Valley died last week in a slide that drug him through the trees. Its a shame, he was 21. Usually its the wide open steep areas that you have to worry and constantly look over your shoulder. Knowledge about snow conditions is essential, and staying up on the spines, not in the troughs is wise. I believe the Kennedy death was a non powder event.

I had no idea that anyone could do something like soring for training purposes.I was going to try to end this post with something jovial,however its hard for me to do after reading something like this.

The Fabio pic was for the ladies. I figured someone would have given this thread a 5 star rating by now!

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Great photo!

It reminded me a bit of Lake Louise in Banff which ranks among the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I lived in Calgary a few years ago.

Sorry to have brought the TWH torture issue to your attention but folks need to know so they don't even inadvertently enable these cretins who sore horses. It's a bad problem.

Fabio photos won't get any stars out of me. Something like this would...

http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s...ympicferro.htm

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X