Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January, February, March 2009 surgeries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Post Ever...

Hi Everyone,

I'm having surgery Feb 26th in Calgary, Alberta. I've been reading posts on here for a LONG time but have finally signed up! You guys have all answered many questions I've had without me even having to ask, thank you!
    Age 25 at time of correction
    Sergery March 6th, 2009
    T4 to L4

Comment

Welcome, chello_ns! It's great to have you posting now! I'll get your surgery added-- but please read in the first post about how you can add it to the official calendar too. Also, if you want to include what levels are being fused, etc., just let me know. It's good to have you posting with us!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

All the very best, chello_ns. How are you holding up?

I'm scheduled not long after you, in Brisbane, Australia, March 3. I'll be thinking of you!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hey Susie*Bee. Thank you SO much for adding me to the calendar. As for what levels are being fused, I don’t remember the technical lingo…I know that sounds really bad of me because he did tell me but I was so overwhelmed I didn’t take in the technical lingo. I just remember he said that the bottom two vertebrae probably wouldn’t be but that he’d start on top of them and go up to my top curve from there. I have a thoracic curve of 60% and lumbar curve of 50%. I’m 25 (known about the scoliosis since I was 13) and both curves have been progressing and causing more and more pain. I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow where I’ll find out the proper lingo and finer details.

And JenniferG, I’m actually glad to talk to someone whose surgery is so close to mine! I’m holding up very well, extremely excited about the surgery. I’m sure “scared” or “nervous” type feelings will come closer to the date but as for now just very excited. How about you?
          Sergery March 6th, 2009
          T4 to L4

Comment

Welcome Chello,

Good luck to you. Your date will be here before you know it! Try to do as much for yourself, and have a good time in this next month as you can.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Chello, I'm not holding up as well as you are, having a jittery day today. Each day is different. Occasionally I feel a bubble of excitement that soon, I'm going to be a lot straighter and stretched out, which will be nice as I've lost quite a lot of height. Best of all, my curve won't progress further, as it's progressed rapidly in the last 12 months. But I am a Nervous Nelly when it comes to medical things so at this stage, I'm looking forward to being on "the other side"!

Let us know the technical lingo when you find out, won't you!

Comment

So the technical lingo is T4 to L5!

JenniferG, I can definitely understand the nervousness but I’m such an easy going person I don‘t often get jittery about anything. I keep telling myself to “seem less excited” so I don’t seem crazy. I know and understand it’s a hard and painful recovery and there are potential risks but in the mean time I am doing well. I’m actually taking some vacation days here and there to do things I won’t be able to for a while after the surgery and remembering to actually take time to enjoy them.
                I lost a lot of height too, I used to be 5’10” and know I’m 5’6”. Finger tip to finger tip I’m 5’11”…so like you I’m looking forward to maybe gaining some height back! I also would love or my clothes to fit better, no more awkward twisting of my tops and button-up shirts lining up with my left thigh instead of my pants zipper (yahooo!).

I'll for sure be thinking of you from my hospital bed during your surgery and recovery!
                Sergery March 6th, 2009
                T4 to L4

Comment

Hi again Chello. I see you're having a long fusion, like mine. I'm T5 to S1 as per my signature.

It's so great for you to be excited about the surgery. I'm sure that mindset will help with your recovery. I hope some of your excitement will rub off on me.

Glad you're taking the time to do some good things for yourself and getting things organised. I'm doing some spring cleaning (in the middle of Summer)and garden renovations and stashing away some meals in the freezer, to ease the load on my partner during recovery.

I hope you have a nice, easy, lead up to surgery and everything goes perfectly!

Comment

Chello~~

The clothes fit is incredible afterwards. I still can't get used to my new wonderful body!! I call it my extreme makeover and that is not far from the truth. It is a lot more fun to get dressed nowadays!
                    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                    Age 54
                    T10 to Sacrum
                    Curve 65 degrees
                    Very straight now!!!

Comment

Oh Nancy Joy, your post left me grinning ear to ear! I want my new body too! And your surgery wasn’t long ago, how are you doing, what’s it like for you at this stage?
                      Sergery March 6th, 2009
                      T4 to L4

Comment

I am doing very well. I walked 2 miles today at the Y (cold here- Kansas). I am returning to work Feb. 2nd. I only take a couple of Hydrocodone a day. My surgery has been very successful. Call me vain. Just tonight I stood in front of the bathroom mirror still unbelieving of my new bod. I stopped in at work briefly yesterday and everyone was like- wow- look at you!! Incredible. It gives you something to look forward to while you are wondering the first week what the heck you signed on for!!!!
                        Nancy Joy

Age 54
                        T10 to Sacrum
                        Curve 65 degrees
                        Very straight now!!!

Comment

Nancy Joy, you've no idea how good that is to read!

Comment

Jennifer~~

Hang in there- you'll make it. Really you have a long wait yet and that is so darned hard!!!!!! I did'nt feel like I needed valium or anything but got very anxious to get it over with so I could start to recover. Man, am I glad to be where I am instead of where you all are!!! (don't let that scare you- it is meant to be exciting)
                            Nancy Joy

Age 54
                            T10 to Sacrum
                            Curve 65 degrees
                            Very straight now!!!

Comment

news? and updates...

Has anyone heard about bbest (Brandi)??? Her surgery was the 5th. Also, I just updated Avis' rescheduled surgeries. Both Avis (theizzard) and Christy (csbaby) have theirs on this Tuesday, Feb. 10th...

Are there any others that need to be added to this list???

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Added a couple...

Just added nervous and jesscv's surgeries on... are there others? I've jotted down some for April and May and will start a new thread probably after work today-- out of time for now! Take care!

And PLEASE let me know if I have omitted someone-- or if you are on here and have more info to go with your surgery. I am very happy to post, but don't have as much time to scour the threads and see who is having surgery...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Working...
                                X