Allergic to Rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Pam,

Wow - you really went through the works at 10! I've not heard of such severe spontaneous hydro so early. Glad the VP's serving you well

I've got no idea what model I have, but I've only ever had one trouble with it (when I was a couple of months old), but that resolved after a few hours. I feel SO lucky because I know a lot of people who have myelomenigocele + congenital hydrocephalus who've had just so many problems with malfunctions/extra surgeries/infections/needing 2 shunts/learning disabilities from extended high pressure, etc..

As far as I know, the hydro that (often) comes with myelo/SB in general is actually considered acquired rather than congenital...but yes, I've had it since (before?) I was born. No idea whether it's comm/non. One of these days, I *really should* get a copy of my medical records - though I hate to think what those postage costs would be LOL

I completely missed your tubing on x-rays till now - I'm used to seeing what looks like mile curling around my abdo, lol. Apparently, my neurosurgeon said he'd given me enough to grow at least to a 6 foot 100 yr old without the need for extension surgeries I'd never even considered the tubing splitting - but good to hear that shouldn't be a problem! I do seem to have scar tissue holding it tightly on my collarbone so I can't stretch my neck right up properly (doesn't help with scoli-related neck probs!). Might get that attended to next year, been meaning to.

Anyhow, much thanks for reassurance that we're fairly safe. I don't need any more ways to get infection - even my dentist [check for loose teeth or other probs, pre-op] yesterday said, "glad you're teeth are clean. Keep that up well. You know, not brushing properly allows the bacteria to multiply & it is possible for them to enter the body & migrate. You probably don't want them getting aboard your new metal." Oh, REALLY?! Thanks, doc.

--

Shell, I'm so sorry to have momentarily side-tracked your thread I hope you can get things sorted soon. Keep us posted - take care.

Comment

Originally posted by discombobulated View Post
      Shell, I'm so sorry to have momentarily side-tracked your thread I hope you can get things sorted soon. Keep us posted - take care.
      Not a problem. I've been so busy studying for end of the semester tests that I haven't had a chance to respond. I appreciate your response and will let you know what ends up happening.

Linda - That is exactly why I do not want my rods removed. 8 months does seem kind of early.

Pam - You were a huge help to me. And yes, I did need to bounce ideas off of someone. It helped me gather all my thoughts and figure out what to do next. Thanks again.

Karen - You're response made me realize I need to act sooner rather than waiting around for the rash to come back. As soon as this semester is over, I'm going to contact my surgeon and see if he can recommend an allergist to test for metal allergies.

I'll keep everyone posted on what happens next. Thanks!

Shell
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Scholarly article on implant allergy/sensitivity

This is interesting with a case history of a metal hip implant sensitivity but may apply to scoliosis implants.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl..._nl_0#Implants
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
        X